U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 50,556 times

Advertisements

What does everybody think? Not who's better or anything but what are some differences and some individual strengths between the two publications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,219,737 times
LEO = Alternative media

Velocity = Mainstream media masquerading as alternative media

LEO, hands down. Better columnists, better reviews, much better personal ads!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,974,914 times
They both are useful for starting a wood stove.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 AM

157 posts, read 402,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl From The Country View Post
What does everybody think? Not who's better or anything but what are some differences and some individual strengths between the two publications?
Well I was planning to make a comparison of the features included in each of the publications, but they pretty much have the same features. The difference is in the emphasis and quality. When I read LEO, I really enjoyed the variety of columnists and indepth articles about crimes, politics, and urban development. LEO, for the most part, is a higher-quality publication, and Velocity is more "light" and mainstream (but not terrible).

I used to read both LEO and Velocity, but a month ago I stopped reading LEO because I was getting irritated with the kind of "attitude" of it. I used to prefer it to Velocity, but LEO is for (or tries to be for) the "non-conformist conformists." It wants to appeal to "alternative" or "progressive" thinkers, but there are MANY types of "alternative" ways of thinking! For example, LEO still has the same amount of "Bush-bashing" as ever; ok, he's not in the White House anymore, talk about something more important, PLEASE! I was more personally irritated when reading a review for a documentary about Islam, which pretty much suggested that Christians don't know anything about Islam beyond incidents of oppression of women, and that Christians oppress their women as much they perceive Muslims oppress theirs. Ufff...Most people reading LEO every week are at least somewhat educated and at least somewhat "open-minded" and intelligent. BTW why do people believe that "open-minded" means "agrees-with-me?"If you're trying to get a certain group of people to watch a documentary about another group of people, don't insult the intended audience subtly or overtly! Sorry it's something minor about a blurb, but it was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for continuing to read the "alternative-minded" LEO.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,878,500 times
Back in the early days, when Yarmuth ran it and was more involved with it, LEO seemed to have a sort of libertarian streak, while also tending progressive/left. Anyone else noticed that?

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

22 posts, read 81,760 times
LEO all the way. I mean, I just like it better coming from a guy who loves literature, the classics, and academic periodicals, like National Geographic for example. I'm not going to say that they've never been just a little elitist, but hey, I'm a little elitist sometimes, without meaning to be. hahahaha. Hey at least I can admit it. Velocity is good to see what bands are playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or