U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 58,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickson73 View Post
when is HRC moving?
According to the ROC Drill, there are a few individuals moving prior to June 2010, but that's when most will leave. Everyone is supposed to be completely moved by Sep 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 01:48 PM

14 posts, read 58,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a black BRACcie from Alexandria also and Elizabethtown is at the top of the list at my house. Of course there will be a massive culture shock moving from DC to KY. Elizabethtown will likely be just big enough for you.
I've only been in DC since January, so I won't miss the area much, but prior to being here, I have lived in mostly city with maybe Tallahassee being the smallest and Anchorage being the most far away. I've heard E'town a lot but also heard that the one main road is bad for traffic...not DC bad, close enough.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerchic16 View Post
I've only been in DC since January, so I won't miss the area much, but prior to being here, I have lived in mostly city with maybe Tallahassee being the smallest and Anchorage being the most far away. I've heard E'town a lot but also heard that the one main road is bad for traffic...not DC bad, close enough.
I wont miss this area much and i've been here 5 years . Before i got here i spent all but two years of my life in Hampton Roads, VA. Kinda a mix of surburban and urban.

That road you're likely referring to is 31W than connects E-town to Ft. Knox and is a back way to and from Louisville. I may be getting ahead of myself but nothing can be worse than DC traffic.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Just to keep down confusion, 31W is also known as Dixie Highway

Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,046,288 times
Default Fort Knox

I was recently stationed at Fort Knox and can tell you a bit about the area from a black perspective. For full disclosure, I must also say that I am born and raised in a northern city.

Do yourself a favor and look to live in Louisville. If you are used to an urban flavor, even a small taste, Louisville is really your only option. E'town is okay but it's not a city....more like a town set up around an interstate exit.

There is nothing between Louisville and Fort Knox, especially once you pass the 265 exchange. Literally, I mean nothing except for a bar or two, a strip club, a gas station, a few run-down houses, some sort of factory complex....and a drag racing track. This goes on for a good 20-30 minutes down 31W. Trust me, you'll get tired of driving this stretch anymore than you have to.

Going to Louisville is not better. You have to drive this 31W stretch to 265 and then drive another 15 minutes or so to get to the heart of Louisville. The other alternative is to continue on 31W straight into Louisville, where you'll notice the transition from nothing near Fort Knox, to cheap strip malls and check cashing joints, to the straight 'hood in Louisville proper (the lock-your-doors and keep it movin' variety).

From Fort Knox, you are a long way from everything and 31W is your only escape. The closest "mall" is in E'town and....well....get familiar with online shopping. In fact, unless you love Walmart, you'll need to at least drive to E'town for everything (20 minutes).

Notice that I mention driving a lot. There is no public transportation close to Fort Knox. The Louisville public transit literally stops just north of 265.

I would not suggest living anywhere immediately around Fort Knox except for E'town. Much of the area is "military meet country". And if you are going to commute from E'town, you may as well add 10 minutes and do it from Louisville.

Louisville is a very nice city, pretty identical to what I'm used to. Not Chicago huge but large enough to have a ton of stuff to do (about 200,000 in the city proper). The riverfront area is awesome. From Louisville, you can easily make day-trips to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Lexington, and Nashville. It also has a decent regional airport, a good university with big-time college sports (University of Louisville). And of course you have the Derby. It's not just a one day thing like I thought, it's an entire week of festivities filled with things to do even for people who don't like horse racing. You don't want to have to add that 31W nonsense to the drive to get to any of this.

I never experienced any racism while stationed in Kentucky...though I've heard stories from credible sources about parts of Bullett county, Shepardsville, and Brandenburg (all in the vicinity of Fort Knox)....so I don't think that you should fear that. Most people are very friendly. As someone else stated, coming from a place like DC will be a huge culture shock for anyone, regardless of race. Kentucky is the south after all (and yes, I realize some Kentuckians dispute that).

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
I was recently stationed at Fort Knox and can tell you a bit about the area from a black perspective. For full disclosure, I must also say that I am born and raised in a northern city.

Do yourself a favor and look to live in Louisville. If you are used to an urban flavor, even a small taste, Louisville is really your only option. E'town is okay but it's not a city....more like a town set up around an interstate exit.

There is nothing between Louisville and Fort Knox, especially once you pass the 265 exchange. Literally, I mean nothing except for a bar or two, a strip club, a gas station, a few run-down houses, some sort of factory complex....and a drag racing track. This goes on for a good 20-30 minutes down 31W. Trust me, you'll get tired of driving this stretch anymore than you have to.

Going to Louisville is not better. You have to drive this 31W stretch to 265 and then drive another 15 minutes or so to get to the heart of Louisville. The other alternative is to continue on 31W straight into Louisville, where you'll notice the transition from nothing near Fort Knox, to cheap strip malls and check cashing joints, to the straight 'hood in Louisville proper (the lock-your-doors and keep it movin' variety).

From Fort Knox, you are a long way from everything and 31W is your only escape. The closest "mall" is in E'town and....well....get familiar with online shopping. In fact, unless you love Walmart, you'll need to at least drive to E'town for everything (20 minutes).

Notice that I mention driving a lot. There is no public transportation close to Fort Knox. The Louisville public transit literally stops just north of 265.

I would not suggest living anywhere immediately around Fort Knox except for E'town. Much of the area is "military meet country". And if you are going to commute from E'town, you may as well add 10 minutes and do it from Louisville.

Louisville is a very nice city, pretty identical to what I'm used to. Not Chicago huge but large enough to have a ton of stuff to do (about 200,000 in the city proper). The riverfront area is awesome. From Louisville, you can easily make day-trips to Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Lexington, and Nashville. It also has a decent regional airport, a good university with big-time college sports (University of Louisville). And of course you have the Derby. It's not just a one day thing like I thought, it's an entire week of festivities filled with things to do even for people who don't like horse racing. You don't want to have to add that 31W nonsense to the drive to get to any of this.

I never experienced any racism while stationed in Kentucky...though I've heard stories from credible sources about parts of Bullett county, Shepardsville, and Brandenburg (all in the vicinity of Fort Knox)....so I don't think that you should fear that. Most people are very friendly. As someone else stated, coming from a place like DC will be a huge culture shock for anyone, regardless of race. Kentucky is the south after all (and yes, I realize some Kentuckians dispute that).
I hear that there is supposed to be some kind of public transit from Ft KNox to Louisville coming, does anyone else know what I am talking about? and you are right, Kentucky IS the South

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Default cho-chooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I hear that there is supposed to be some kind of public transit from Ft KNox to Louisville coming, does anyone else know what I am talking about? and you are right, Kentucky IS the South

Yes, the Louisville and Paducah Railway is being considered for passenger/commuter service between Union Station (downtown), Fort Knox and maybe on towards E-town

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Yes, the Louisville and Paducah Railway is being considered for passenger/commuter service between Union Station (downtown), Fort Knox and maybe on towards E-town
I hope that happens. I would do many more trips to Glendale

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,972,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
And this would provide more passengers than Louisville to Lexington going through Frankfort?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
And this would provide more passengers than Louisville to Lexington going through Frankfort?
I have no clue about Louisville/Lexington. I agree it would be much cheaper than the cost of rebuilding I-64.

Censusdata is the demographical guy to ask about the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area