U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,244 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I am a BRACie too. I will be moving to KY in June; I rather rent than buy but for no more than 1500. I'm willing to a 40 minute or less commute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
 
2 posts, read 8,154 times
Reputation: 13
My husband works at Ft. Knox and we live in Louisville, Okolona area. It's a 35-40 minute commute. We both lived in E-town for years and don't miss it at all! Way more amenities in Louisville!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
 
13 posts, read 35,605 times
Reputation: 10
Cool BRAC Fort Knox Outdoorsman

I'm reporting soon to work at Ft Knox. I lived in Old Town Alexandria VA for the last 2 yrs, Elkview WV for 13 and Chicago Suburb by OHare before that.

We don't drink, we drive cruiser motorcycles, love to fish, get along with most people, can tolerate 45 min commute -( I HATE DC TRAFFIC!!)

Later 40's, married, we both will work at Ft Knox need 3+ Bedrooms plus an in-law type arrangement for mother in law either attached or seperate.

Would like some space between neighbors.

2 Car Garage to put our bikes, amd eventually a boat -would love to have a water view but not a deal breaker.

Combined income of over $250K but we don't need to drive BMWs to impress the neighbors.

Would love to see the stars at night. Did I mention I hate traffic?

Have 2 small dogs and would like to get my Golden Retriever back that I had to give up when I moved to DC.

Anyone know if this setup is realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 4,972,074 times
Reputation: 1912
absolutely. You'll find tons of spots that meet your wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30377
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw5492 View Post
I'm reporting soon to work at Ft Knox. I lived in Old Town Alexandria VA for the last 2 yrs, Elkview WV for 13 and Chicago Suburb by OHare before that.

We don't drink, we drive cruiser motorcycles, love to fish, get along with most people, can tolerate 45 min commute -( I HATE DC TRAFFIC!!)

Later 40's, married, we both will work at Ft Knox need 3+ Bedrooms plus an in-law type arrangement for mother in law either attached or seperate.

Would like some space between neighbors.

2 Car Garage to put our bikes, amd eventually a boat -would love to have a water view but not a deal breaker.

Combined income of over $250K but we don't need to drive BMWs to impress the neighbors.

Would love to see the stars at night. Did I mention I hate traffic?

Have 2 small dogs and would like to get my Golden Retriever back that I had to give up when I moved to DC.

Anyone know if this setup is realistic?
Well, hello from the West End of Alexandria!!!

I think you could find what you are looking for in Elizabethtown or Vine Grove with a short commute to Knox. Actually right now we're looking at moving into a house in the Vineland Park subdivision of Vine Grove. If all goes well I'll be moving into a new construction SFH which has a private basement apt for me. You will have no problem finding the stars in KY. You sound like my kind of neighbors. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,859 times
Reputation: 10
I currently live in DC...am from Etown/Louisville and am relocating to Louisville myself...went to high school in Elizabethtown. I am very, very familiar with Ft. Knox, Etown, Radcliff, etc.
E-town, Great city...but the culture shock from DC /NVA will be a bit much. I am a little nervous about the move myself. There's no real mall- you have to go to Louisville for a mall. Very small town, one very small movie theatre. but you don't have to worry about the neighborhoods...they welcome everyone. Etown has a pretty good school system but nothing like the private schools in Louisville.

It is a good place to live but make no mistake, it's a small town.

You are from NVA- you can commute a bit- anything will be better than here! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 AM
 
13 posts, read 35,605 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandicf View Post
I currently live in DC...am from Etown/Louisville and am relocating to Louisville myself...went to high school in Elizabethtown. I am very, very familiar with Ft. Knox, Etown, Radcliff, etc.
E-town, Great city...but the culture shock from DC /NVA will be a bit much. I am a little nervous about the move myself. There's no real mall- you have to go to Louisville for a mall. Very small town, one very small movie theatre. but you don't have to worry about the neighborhoods...they welcome everyone. Etown has a pretty good school system but nothing like the private schools in Louisville.

It is a good place to live but make no mistake, it's a small town.

You are from NVA- you can commute a bit- anything will be better than here! )
Don't know the last time you were there but E-Town is great with shopping - Best Buy, Kohls and about 300 other well known stores. Granted they are not in an enclosed Mall but they run probably around a 2 mile stretch off Dixie Hwy. I just got back and after looking everywhere I found out: Don't trust Realtor ads, Sq ft is a guesstimate that is why they don't list room sizes, Etown Realtors don't have access to Louisville MLS and vice versa. Everyone is trying to get rich from BRAC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,954 times
Reputation: 10
My concern is a good area for a school for my children... my husband received orders last week telling us we had to be at Knox by Jul10th... School is my only concern...I have a 5th grader and a 3rd grader... any suggestions for schools???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,000 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillSgt Wife View Post
My concern is a good area for a school for my children... my husband received orders last week telling us we had to be at Knox by Jul10th... School is my only concern...I have a 5th grader and a 3rd grader... any suggestions for schools???
I would put schools in this order in Hardin County:

1. Elizabethtown independent school district.
2. John Hardin HS district
3. Central Hardin HS district
4. North Hardin HS district

The first two will likely keep you in Elizabethtown. If you are interested in base housing you also have the option of Ft. Knox Independent schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
470 posts, read 914,323 times
Reputation: 278
I would say Doe Valley is the hidden gem of the area. It's a nice gated community located just 15 mins from Ft Knox in Mead County. Louisville is only 30 mins away and you have a short drive to work. I was mobilized at Ft Knox back in 2008 and I'm from the area myself. I'm looking at heading back there in the fall and Doe Valley will be one of the first places I look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top