U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 58,951 times

Advertisements

-Where you are working--Fort Knox (BRAC of course)
-How much you are willing to spend on housing-I'm willing to pay more for a home that will give me what I want
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate--20-30 min
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Depends on cost of and activities at private
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? None of the above...I realize this is contradictory considering I'm moving to Fort Knox. I'm not a fan of rural "in the middle of no where" life. I need some city, Starbucks, Super-Walmart,etc yet at home I'd love a nice porch and grass...
-Community amenities important to you--Same as I already said..
-Pie or cake?-Pie (when I'm not dieting!)

I answered the questions posted in the "help you move" section...my son will be in 10th grade when we move; maybe 11th depending on the time of year and plays basketball and tennis. He's well-rounded, but I don't want to move him somewhere where we are the only black family in the neighborhood. Are there any suggestions? Louisville, Elizabethtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,499,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerchic16 View Post
-How much you are willing to spend on housing-I'm willing to pay more for a home that will give me what I want
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Depends on cost of and activities at private
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? None of the above...I realize this is contradictory considering I'm moving to Fort Knox. I'm not a fan of rural "in the middle of no where" life. I need some city, Starbucks, Super-Walmart,etc yet at home I'd love a nice porch and grass...

I answered the questions posted in the "help you move" section...my son will be in 10th grade when we move; maybe 11th depending on the time of year and plays basketball and tennis. He's well-rounded, but I don't want to move him somewhere where we are the only black family in the neighborhood. Are there any suggestions? Louisville, Elizabethtown?
Unfortunately, you just told every licensed Realtor they can't help you. It is illegal for a real estate licensee to help you because we can't "steer" you to or from a neighborhood due to racial issues.

I regret this but the law is the law.

Maybe those who are not licensed can help.

I can tell you that anywhere you choose to live in Kentucky with the exception of a few select areas will accept you no matter your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability).

Old 07-03-2009, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 58,951 times
"I can tell you that anywhere you choose to live in Kentucky with the exception of a few select areas will accept you no matter your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). "

Don't know how to do the quote thing but what you said was my point...those "few select areas"...I just dont' want to end up living where I'm not wanted. It hasn't happened anywhere else I've lived but for some reason I'm hesitant about this particular move. Normally I just go wherever they send me. Would it have made a difference if I said I wanted "diversity"? Same subject, different wording...reading other posts I'm not asking anything different than anyone else.

Last edited by gixxerchic16; 07-03-2009 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: didn't quote

Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
"I can tell you that anywhere you choose to live in Kentucky with the exception of a few select areas will accept you no matter your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and handicap (disability). "

Don't know how to do the quote thing but what you said was my point...those "few select areas"...I just dont' want to end up living where I'm not wanted. It hasn't happened anywhere else I've lived but for some reason I'm hesitant about this particular move. Normally I just go wherever they send me. Would it have made a difference if I said I wanted "diversity"? Same subject, different wording...reading other posts I'm not asking anything different than anyone else.
You are so correct. A diverse neighborhood is politically and legally correct. I am so sad that your correctness is the law and not necessarily real. Another example of how we must get government out of our lives.

Actually, those select areas I was speaking of were more of minority majority. What I was trying to tell you is quite simply this, most Kentuckians are very accepting of people no matter what ethnic group. We do ask that people come and be part of us, not come and expect us to be part of the place they came from.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,989,763 times
I'd suggest near the edges of Louisville and accept that you'll drive a 40 minute commute. However, it's a predictable commute, unlike DC where it's a 40-min commute at 4am and 2-hour commute at 7am. You'll find it amazing how far your dollar goes when researching the homes that you're interested in compared to N.Va and the DC area.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM

23,043 posts, read 32,036,716 times
Quote:

I'm a black BRACcie from Alexandria also and Elizabethtown is at the top of the list at my house. Of course there will be a massive culture shock moving from DC to KY. Elizabethtown will likely be just big enough for you.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:16 AM

It's a darn shame that Oldham County is an hour commute.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,271 times
Quote:

Hello, I noticed you said Fort Knox! My mother is selling her home in Valley Station. It is about ten minutes down Dixie Hwy from Fort Knox. I must disclose to you that I am a Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty. I LOVE her home. I am not listing it, but I can give you the address and info. The neighborhood is pretty. I don't know your price range, but there are a lot of choices in Valley Station as far as price ranges are concerned.

The home is 189,900. She dropped it many times to get it sold. She is very motivated, recently divorced and wants to move out and move on with life. The home is a three bedroom, two and a half bath, with a Florida room (sunroom), finished basement, two car garage, Formal dining room, eat in kitchen, the home is very LARGE! Back yard has a deck and is big enough for a pool if you wanted to put one back there for the family.

Message me back if this sounds good to you! Alicia

Old 07-04-2009, 10:08 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,989,763 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allylew View Post
Hello, I noticed you said Fort Knox! My mother is selling her home in Valley Station. It is about ten minutes down Dixie Hwy from Fort Knox. I must disclose to you that I am a Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty. I LOVE her home. I am not listing it, but I can give you the address and info. The neighborhood is pretty. I don't know your price range, but there are a lot of choices in Valley Station as far as price ranges are concerned.

The home is 189,900. She dropped it many times to get it sold. She is very motivated, recently divorced and wants to move out and move on with life. The home is a three bedroom, two and a half bath, with a Florida room (sunroom), finished basement, two car garage, Formal dining room, eat in kitchen, the home is very LARGE! Back yard has a deck and is big enough for a pool if you wanted to put one back there for the family.

Message me back if this sounds good to you! Alicia
Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to http://www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 11,088 times
when is HRC moving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area