U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:11 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,488,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagrad08 View Post
Please only give a response if it is pertaining to the questions I asked earlier. Thank you!
Assuming you are a graduate of the University of Alabama, I believe a lot of your fellow alum's would be happy that I tried to assist in obtaining respect for the quality of students graduating from their alma mater.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,500,669 times
Tom is a successful businessman and is correct in the advice he has given to the OP. Poor grammar and writing skills limit your potential in most business markets and in other areas of life as well. Many businesses hire people that will represent their company in a positive, educated manner. Frankly, I would not hire someone with poor grammar and writing skills or someone who pubicly announces she is shacking up with her boyfriend.

That being said, this is an informal forum and people should certainly be able to write informally when posting. I'm guilty of a few misspelled words and often write sans punctuation when I'm posting on forums.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-06-2009 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 02:14 PM

14 posts, read 31,554 times
Wow, it seems that my post have created a lot of buzz!! It’s really sad that people judge your character based a post asking for advice on apartments and restaurants. If I chose to respond to posts like the one above me, I would be fighting battles all day, every day. Disregarding Tom’s message for me not to ever move there because Louisville has “enough problems and don't need to deal with anymore”, I will still visit Louisville with my boyfriend on the dates I mentioned earlier. And, if I am offered the job, I will happily accept!! Besides some of the negativity in this forum, I still think Louisville would be a great city to reside in. Thank you to everyone who has direct message me of the restaurants and activities to try while I am in town. Have a good day!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,500,669 times
Welcome to the real world - people do form an opinion about you based on what you say, how you say it and how much personal info you give out....chalk it up to a lesson learned. Take an English class and improve yourself. You will learn much and the skills you develop will improve your income and your life. Don't tell the world about your living arrangements - some will judge - that is just the way the world works.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 PM

87 posts, read 236,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I expected the push back, and it is certainly understandable. I am not perfect, don't ever expect to be, but I sure do try to be. This is not a political thread, but the young lady was guilty of doing everything an employer would dislike. I know, I am married to a Human Resource Director. She has over 700 people in her firm, and yet, she is constantly reminding me of how poor her applicants score on English, manners, and protocol. The young lady from Alabama obviously brought a stereotype to this thread, and I am sad for that. Little did she realize how everyday, in every venue, at any moment, someone just might be judging her as a future employee.

That all being said, I am certain there are several people on this thread who will blast me for showing that care for others might require a bit of willingness to give constructive criticism. If you come to my home and wear a white glove, you'll find some dust. Instead of being upset that you found dust, maybe I should have taken a moment to clean just a bit better. It's time we all took time to demand and expect our children to "clean just a bit better." I know their employers are either going to expect it, or find someone who will.

if i come to your home and point out the dust on my first visit, i would expect not to be invited back.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 PM

13,527 posts, read 29,487,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Welcome to the real world - people do form an opinion about you based on what you say, how you say it and how much personal info you give out....chalk it up to a lesson learned. Take an English class and improve yourself. You will learn much and the skills you develop will improve your income and your life. Don't tell the world about your living arrangements - some will judge - that is just the way the world works.
Who in the hell cares about someones living arrangements? This is an internet forum where we are all anonymous, and in case you haven't noticed, an internet forum is NOT the "real world".

As for you not hiring someone who is "shacking up", well I guess you wouldn't be hiring very many people then, because that's what many people today are doing.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence425 View Post
if i come to your home and point out the dust on my first visit, i would expect not to be invited back.
No, quite frankly, that is where we have gone wrong as a people, and maybe as a nation.

First of all, out of respect to you, I should do everything possible to make certain that you have entered a clean home. If your zipper is down, or your slip is showing, would you want to know? I certainly do, and occasionally such an event does happen.

We have lost genuine care for each other. Parents don't let the village help raise the children any more. We are not united in fostering one another's success. Competition is the name of the game and any cost. Your spouse is my trophy (ask several prominent politicians) and my spouse doesn't have a say in it.

If you come to my home, which I hope is dressed for guests, please do share that you found a place I missed. Just don't come visit with the intentions of "gotcha!" That is the difference. I wasn't looking for a poorly written work, had it been twitter, I wouldn't have cared, but here was a young person looking to get ahead. Got to praise her desires, but the gaffes were too overwhelming just to lay down.

My intentions were entirely to point out that Kentucky is an educated place with good people making up our work pool, and we expect people to come here to make our lives better, too.

I wish you could see the PM's the OP wrote me. If you could ever see a generation of people shooting itself in the foot, those PM's provide convicting evidence.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Who in the hell cares about someones living arrangements? This is an internet forum where we are all anonymous, and in case you haven't noticed, an internet forum is NOT the "real world".

As for you not hiring someone who is "shacking up", well I guess you wouldn't be hiring very many people then, because that's what many people today are doing.
I am guilty as charged of "shacking up." I know the damage it can do, too. I could care less about a person's living arrangements, except to do so does bring the quality of a person's commitments into play. I saw my error.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,567,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagrad08 View Post
Thanks rnc and mdawg!. I really looking forward to going to some of the places you recommended.

Thank you also for your reply Missy. I'm coming from a town right outside of Birmingham. I'm not exactly sure what area the business is located in, but I'll message you the street name. Thank you all for your answers. Keep 'em coming!
You are more than welcome! If you like a more traditional neighborhood then the Highlands is not for you. If you like a very eclectic and liberal vibe, then you'd love it. What kind of area are you used to? I live in the Shively area in the SW part of the county and it is probably much closer to what you are used to then alot of other parts of town.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,567,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Well I will actually answer the questions asked, unlike some other people on this thread. I would look for apartments in the Highlands, St. Matthews, Clifton, or Crescent Hill. These are all pretty close to Seneca and Cherokee Parks but are all also close to the nightlife on Bardstown Rd., Shelbyville Rd., and Frankfort Ave. All of these areas are very safe and I think a young professional like yourself would enjoy living in these areas, a lot of younger people are moving in and they are very active and social areas. You should find it very easy to find a 1 bedroom apartment in these areas in your price range.

As far as when you come to visit, check out Flanagan's in the Highlands, it is a great bar/restaurant. Go to the Bluegrass Brewing Co., Brendan's, or 60 West in St. Matthews on Shelbyville Rd. (They are all right next to each other) If you are downtown, you have to go to 4th Street Live on a weekend night, it is very fun but kind of touristy. They have a lot of great restaurants there. If you want a restaurant on the river I would go to Captains Quarters on River Rd. or Tumbleweed in Waterfront Park, which I think is also on River Rd.
When you are in Louisville I would go to the Louisville Slugger Museum, Waterfront Park, Bardstown Rd. in the Highlands, Churchill Downs (the spring meet is over so you can only go to the cafe and the museum), The Falls of the Ohio across the bridge in Indiana, and if you are into the outdoors definitely check out Cherokee Park, but just don't get lost! It can be difficult to navigate if you are not familiar with it.
I think you will enjoy Louisville, it is easy to navigate and the people here are very nice. Louisville is pretty southern, so you should feel right at home! And if you were wondering, they do have sweet tea in almost every restaurant here.
Honey when you get in town, PM me and I will tell you some places around here where you can walk around and see nature without getting lost Cherokee is beautiful but I just can't figure it out for the life of me! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area