Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:07 AM

14 posts, read 37,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!

I'm new to the Kentucky forum so bare with me please! Me and my boyfriend is coming to Louisville on the 17th-19th. While I'm there I will be going on a job interview! (Wish me luck!) From what I've read so far , Louisville seems like a great city to reside in.

I'm a planner...I like to plan ahead and have things planned out. So with that I have two questions.

While I am in town, what are some places that I must eat/see while we are in town?

If I am offered the job, what are some nice apartments to live?

A little about me...I'm a 23 y.o. female, I'm a southern girl so I'm very sociable, love to walk outdoors, I still like the nightlife scene every blue moon, safety is my MAIN concern.
Apartment wise, I'm looking for something nice AND affordable. Preferably in the $400-$650 price range Again, safety is my main concern.

I look forward to your answers!!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:25 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagrad08 View Post
Hi everyone!!

I'm new to the Kentucky forum so bare with me please! Me and my boyfriend is coming to Louisville on the 17th-19th. While I'm there I will be going on a job interview! (Wish me luck!) From what I've read so far , Louisville seems like a great city to reside in.

I'm a planner...I like to plan ahead and have things planned out. So with that I have two questions.

While I am in town, what are some places that I must eat/see while we are in town?

A little about me...I'm a 23 y.o. female, I'm a southern girl so I'm very sociable, love to walk outdoors, I still like the nightlife scene every blue moon, safety is my MAIN concern.
Apartment wise, I'm looking for something nice AND affordable. Preferably in the $400-$650 price range Again, safety is my main concern.

I'm going to be a bit tough on you, but since you are younger than my daughter, just pretend that I am your old man for a moment.

You have two strikes against you if you are looking for the best jobs. You say you are a planner, but you didn't plan on getting paid what you might be worth because either you don't know good grammar or you can't proof your work.

I certainly don't plan to get "bare" with you. I might "bear" with you. A true Southern lady would never put herself in front of another either. "Me and my boyfriend is coming to Louisville on the 17th-19th." Rather you should write: My boyfriend and I are coming to Louisville... In your sentence, While I am in town, what are some places that I must eat/see while we are in town?, you changed the plurality of the sentence. If you start singularly, stay single, if you start multiple "we" then stay multiple.

My lady, you are no different than millions of young Americans who wonder why they aren't receiving the best job opportunities. You also seem to think that "living" with your boyfriend is good, too. Take it from an experienced old man who tried it, you and your children will suffer. Commitments have a price, but lack of commitment has a much, much higher price.

I hope you take what I have written in the spirit of its good intentions and make the changes necessary to achieve your life's goals.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!!

First of all Welcome to Kentucky! Second of all, if you get the job where is it located? What kind of city/town are you coming from? We have alot to offer anyone and you can find what you want if we know your tastes.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I'm going to be a bit tough on you, but since you are younger than my daughter, just pretend that I am your old man for a moment.

You have two strikes against you if you are looking for the best jobs. You say you are a planner, but you didn't plan on getting paid what you might be worth because either you don't know good grammar or you can't proof your work.

I certainly don't plan to get "bare" with you. I might "bear" with you. A true Southern lady would never put herself in front of another either. "Me and my boyfriend is coming to Louisville on the 17th-19th." Rather you should write: My boyfriend and I are coming to Louisville... In your sentence, While I am in town, what are some places that I must eat/see while we are in town?, you changed the plurality of the sentence. If you start singularly, stay single, if you start multiple "we" then stay multiple.

My lady, you are no different than millions of young Americans who wonder why they aren't receiving the best job opportunities. You also seem to think that "living" with your boyfriend is good, too. Take it from an experienced old man who tried it, you and your children will suffer. Commitments have a price, but lack of commitment has a much, much higher price.

I hope you take what I have written in the spirit of its good intentions and make the changes necessary to achieve your life's goals.
She is from Alabama. That explains alot!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Excuse me, but if I wanted a lesson in English today then I would have went to an English class. I didn't know I was going to get graded on an English assignment. If you would have read my message thoroughly, then you would have noticed that I would be visiting Louisville on the 17-19th for a job interview with my boyfriend. NOT living there with him. I said I like to plan ahead, I did not say that was my profession. You really have a lot of nerve. You are the reason why people stay away from sites like this. Do me and everybody else a favor and direct your negativity elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:

Absolutely no need to scold the young lady. It is an internet message forum, not a term paper. I would bet she is used to much better manners down in Bama. And who are you to say who someone chooses to live with?...geesh. Get a grip.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,274 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!!

Well I will actually answer the questions asked, unlike some other people on this thread. I would look for apartments in the Highlands, St. Matthews, Clifton, or Crescent Hill. These are all pretty close to Seneca and Cherokee Parks but are all also close to the nightlife on Bardstown Rd., Shelbyville Rd., and Frankfort Ave. All of these areas are very safe and I think a young professional like yourself would enjoy living in these areas, a lot of younger people are moving in and they are very active and social areas. You should find it very easy to find a 1 bedroom apartment in these areas in your price range.

As far as when you come to visit, check out Flanagan's in the Highlands, it is a great bar/restaurant. Go to the Bluegrass Brewing Co., Brendan's, or 60 West in St. Matthews on Shelbyville Rd. (They are all right next to each other) If you are downtown, you have to go to 4th Street Live on a weekend night, it is very fun but kind of touristy. They have a lot of great restaurants there. If you want a restaurant on the river I would go to Captains Quarters on River Rd. or Tumbleweed in Waterfront Park, which I think is also on River Rd.
When you are in Louisville I would go to the Louisville Slugger Museum, Waterfront Park, Bardstown Rd. in the Highlands, Churchill Downs (the spring meet is over so you can only go to the cafe and the museum), The Falls of the Ohio across the bridge in Indiana, and if you are into the outdoors definitely check out Cherokee Park, but just don't get lost! It can be difficult to navigate if you are not familiar with it.
I think you will enjoy Louisville, it is easy to navigate and the people here are very nice. Louisville is pretty southern, so you should feel right at home! And if you were wondering, they do have sweet tea in almost every restaurant here.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Thanks rnc and mdawg!. I really looking forward to going to some of the places you recommended.

Thank you also for your reply Missy. I'm coming from a town right outside of Birmingham. I'm not exactly sure what area the business is located in, but I'll message you the street name. Thank you all for your answers. Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
I expected the push back, and it is certainly understandable. I am not perfect, don't ever expect to be, but I sure do try to be. This is not a political thread, but the young lady was guilty of doing everything an employer would dislike. I know, I am married to a Human Resource Director. She has over 700 people in her firm, and yet, she is constantly reminding me of how poor her applicants score on English, manners, and protocol. The young lady from Alabama obviously brought a stereotype to this thread, and I am sad for that. Little did she realize how everyday, in every venue, at any moment, someone just might be judging her as a future employee.

That all being said, I am certain there are several people on this thread who will blast me for showing that care for others might require a bit of willingness to give constructive criticism. If you come to my home and wear a white glove, you'll find some dust. Instead of being upset that you found dust, maybe I should have taken a moment to clean just a bit better. It's time we all took time to demand and expect our children to "clean just a bit better." I know their employers are either going to expect it, or find someone who will.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Please only give a response if it is pertaining to the questions I asked earlier. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area