U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Louisville
63 posts, read 148,930 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I agree with earlier posts - Rumors def. has some good wings!
For good bread try Panera, there are many locations spread out in Louisville and surrounding areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
This may sound strange but as y'all know I work at the zoo and notice alot of people. We do have some very beautiful women! I can't tell you how many women dress nice to come to the zoo, even with their babies with them. It's nice to know that there's still women who care about the way they present themselves.
I honestly hope this is the case for most if the women in da ville. In Northern VA, a lot of the women here under 22-24 already have at least one child and dress terrible. Want to attract losers? Dress like you dont care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Reputation: 30382
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvector View Post
Well folks, I thought I'd pipe up after having moved to KY a bit more than a year ago. I'm originally from Cleveland, OH and moved to Radcliff in June of last year. I quickly found a job in the IT field, but it was located in Louisville, and that meant a 45-55 minute drive to work each day. The good news is, I quickly found work in an area that I was honestly concerned about. So.. any IT folks, there is work here (but from my experience, it's mostly in Louisville, though I understand that with the base-realignment stuff at Fort Knox, there's probably more technology work available down there now than there used to be.

I moved not too long ago closer to Louisville, mostly to lessen the mileage I was putting on my vehicle, and while I was trying to escape 'the big city' in Cleveland, I've found Louisville isn't really the typical 'big city' people are friendly, there are really cool sections of town, and I really like living close to the city.

Some of the neighborhoods I really like are Old Louisville, as the homes there are incredible, truly castles, but it's a bit sad that the huge majority of them have been re-configured as apartment dwellings. Rent in Old Louisville is very very reasonable, but the feel of the neighborhood seems very very nice in my opinion.

I like the Highlands, and Bardstown road as well, great places to eat, and everything is so close, definitely one of those "you can walk everywhere." neighborhoods.

Okay, I've got to find a couple things to complain about, just to even things out.

1) There aren't nearly as many diet and sugar-free products in the stores as I was used to in Cleveland. I haven't seen a single store that carries Diet Squirt. I'm a diabetic, so sugar-free stuff is something I keep an eye out for.

2) I haven't had a single loaf of bread similar to what I was used to in Cleveland, the brands here are different, and a year on, I'm still looking for something like what I typically bought in Cleveland (Wonder, Schwebels, etc)

3) I haven't found a good bar that serves excellent buffalo wings (anybody care to offer some suggestions?)


The truth is, I'm very very happy that I moved here. I make a bit less than I did in Cleveland, but I'm living just as well, and am not getting hit as badly by taxes in the process (oh yeah, I almost forgot, food here is taxed, not just soda, but like going into a store and buying milk... you'll be taxed, that was different.)

Sure, I could nitpick about this and that, but all the big stuff has been wonderful, I love Kentucky, I have no plans to leave anytime soon, and it's really nice to live in a state that actually has four seasons..

Oh, final item, that ice storm we had earlier this year.. not so much fun, but even in a small town like Radcliff, we had power restored in 3 days..

So, if you are considering moving here, I can say from personal experience that it's a nice place to live, with very friendly people. I realize Cleveland isn't a big deal, but if any other folks are considering moving here from a 'bigger' city, I'd be happy to respond to any questions, or comments.

-nv
One question null, What routes did you take to navigate that commute from Radcliff to Louisville? I'll likely have to do that commute (or somewhat similar from E-town) when i first arrive in KY next year. Of course that buffalo wing observation is discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: NOVA
4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
Reputation: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
One question null, What routes did you take to navigate that commute from Radcliff to Louisville? I'll likely have to do that commute (or somewhat similar from E-town) when i first arrive in KY next year. Of course that buffalo wing observation is discouraging.
The good part is that there are only two routes. Option A is to stay on 31W and head north (mostly 55 mph and minimal lights) until you get to I-265. Option B is to head east along hwy 313 (55 mph and no lights) until you get to I-65 and head north (70 mph). Depending on where in Radcliff you start, each route has it's advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
 
14 posts, read 41,068 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1) What are the winters like in Louisville? I'm really tired of the winters here, especially since we're close to the snow belt. Canton obviously doesn't get hit as hard as Cleveland, but close enough. I want to get away from Ohio winters, so can you tell me what their like?
We had a *small* ice storm this last winter.. Actually, it was really bad, and I lived about 50 miles south of Louisville at the time, we were without power for only 3 days, though some areas within Louisville city limits were without power for 2+ weeks (most people had power restored quickly.)

That being said, the winter that I've experienced here (aside from the ice storm) was very very mild. it got cold, but there wasn't nearly as much snow as we get in Cleveland/Akron. One item I'll mention is that it took longer for the city to clear the sidewalks after the ice storm than what is typical of Cleveland after a snow storm. I'm guessing it's simply because that kind of weather isn't typical here.

To expand further, you will experience four actual seasons here, as opposed to the "hot" or "cold" we had in Ohio.

Quote:
2) When I graduate, I'll be 23 years old. I'm a male and single. In your opinion, is Louisville a good place for a young professional to live? Is there quite a bit to do? Does there seem to be a good young crowd there?
Yes, absolutely. As others have said, in Downtown Louisville 4th street is more geared towards the tourists, but Bardstown rd. in the Highlands is really nice, and you'll find a very eclectic group of people who both live there, and regularly frequent the area, It reminds me a bight of Haight-Ashbury in SF Excellent places to eat, nice bars, great shops. I also really like Old Louisville, the houses there are amazing (I believe Louisville has the largest number of Victorian mansions of any city in the US).

Quote:
3) I've never heard, but does Louisville have a cool riverfront like Cincinnati, Ohio with a bunch of restaurants and such? I love that about Cincinnati, and was just wondering the same about Louisville.
Yes, during Derby there was a lot of activities/concerts going on at Riverfront Park, and I've seen most weekends have some kind of event happening down there, today I saw stages being erected for *something* this weekend. There are restaraunts close to the river (sadly, I can only claim to have been to Joe's Crab Shack on the patio overlooking the river, but it was nice.) directly across the river in jeffersonville, IN you'll find a nice selection of places to eat as well, Italian, Seafood, Japanese, Hooters hehe. (it's not boring here at all. and people are very friendly (as compared to what I was used to in Cleveland.)


Quote:
4) What is the ruling on public smoking? In Canton at least, it's illegal to smoke inside a public place. You must smoke outside. That's great for me personally since I have asthma so it's nice to not have to deal with it when I walk into a public place. What's the law there in Louisville?
I believe there's no smoking in Restaurants/Bars (I'm not a smoker, so I can't speak to this with any certainty.) Though there are places you can smoke in bars/restaurants in Jeffersonville (across the river.)

Quote:
Thanks for your time if you answer!

EDIT: Anyone else please feel free to respond to my questions as well if you'd like.
No worries! i hope some others have answered as well as I'm still very much a neophyte to the area.

Finally, if you haven't been down here yet, come down for a Saturday or a weekend and check it out, I think you'll find Louisville is surprising.

-nv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 05:52 PM
 
14 posts, read 41,068 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
One question null, What routes did you take to navigate that commute from Radcliff to Louisville? I'll likely have to do that commute (or somewhat similar from E-town) when i first arrive in KY next year. Of course that buffalo wing observation is discouraging.

I drove up 31-W (going North, strangely) to the Gene Snyder highway, east to I-65 north into Louisville. My drive took about 50-55 minutes, but if you're coming up from E-town, you'll just hop on the I-65 and drive straight up to Louisville. I'm guess from E-town your drive will be 45-60 minutes. (BTW: Traffic is nothing like many big cities, you'll be amazed, I was and continue to be.)

Just a note, as another thread here mentions: There are some sections of I-65 that have had several fatal vehicle accidents as some areas of the highway do not have barriers between north/south lanes. Anytime I find myself on I-65 I am extra alert when there are no barriers, but fortunately I have only seen minor accidents in the time I've been here.


-nv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY (St. Matthews)
58 posts, read 159,074 times
Reputation: 34
Louisville indeed has a nice waterfront with Waterfront Park and the Belvedere; Louisville Slugger Field is right across the street from the park and of course you have the new arena being built-and you can't forget river cruises on the Belle of Louisville. As nullvector said, there's something going on in Waterfront Park or the Belvedere nearly every weekend in the spring and summer.
I will say there's not as many restaurants or shopping right on the river like in Newport across from Cincy-just Joe's Crab Shack and Tumbleweed (which is a bit farther east), although Fourth Street Live and a few places on Main and Market are very close by. Like stx said the new arena should fuel more development in terms of entertainment on east Main, if I'm not mistaken I remember reading about something planned for the area around 1st and Market I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,913,395 times
Reputation: 6875
Maybe the OP has abandoned this thread -only a few posts stayed on topic to the OP.
For a variety of excellent breads ( much variety) try Breadworks. They have 4 locations, one in the Highlands by the Douglas Loop. Breadworks also bakes to special orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Maybe the OP has abandoned this thread -only a few posts stayed on topic to the OP.
For a variety of excellent breads ( much variety) try Breadworks. They have 4 locations, one in the Highlands by the Douglas Loop. Breadworks also bakes to special orders.
That is an ok place. 9 out of 10 foodies agree that Blue Dog Bakery has the best bread in the metro area however. It is located on Frankfort Ave in a historic building in Crescent Hill, near some new condos and upscale clothing boutiques.

For food advice, always check Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com. Just when you think you know Louisville these folks on that board will name a dozen top caliber restaurants you have never even heard of in the metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 06:03 PM
 
124 posts, read 208,623 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvector View Post
Well folks, I thought I'd pipe up after having moved to KY a bit more than a year ago. I'm originally from Cleveland, OH and moved to Radcliff in June of last year. I quickly found a job in the IT field, but it was located in Louisville, and that meant a 45-55 minute drive to work each day. The good news is, I quickly found work in an area that I was honestly concerned about. So.. any IT folks, there is work here (but from my experience, it's mostly in Louisville, though I understand that with the base-realignment stuff at Fort Knox, there's probably more technology work available down there now than there used to be.

I moved not too long ago closer to Louisville, mostly to lessen the mileage I was putting on my vehicle, and while I was trying to escape 'the big city' in Cleveland, I've found Louisville isn't really the typical 'big city' people are friendly, there are really cool sections of town, and I really like living close to the city.

Some of the neighborhoods I really like are Old Louisville, as the homes there are incredible, truly castles, but it's a bit sad that the huge majority of them have been re-configured as apartment dwellings. Rent in Old Louisville is very very reasonable, but the feel of the neighborhood seems very very nice in my opinion.

I like the Highlands, and Bardstown road as well, great places to eat, and everything is so close, definitely one of those "you can walk everywhere." neighborhoods.

Okay, I've got to find a couple things to complain about, just to even things out.

1) There aren't nearly as many diet and sugar-free products in the stores as I was used to in Cleveland. I haven't seen a single store that carries Diet Squirt. I'm a diabetic, so sugar-free stuff is something I keep an eye out for.

2) I haven't had a single loaf of bread similar to what I was used to in Cleveland, the brands here are different, and a year on, I'm still looking for something like what I typically bought in Cleveland (Wonder, Schwebels, etc)

3) I haven't found a good bar that serves excellent buffalo wings (anybody care to offer some suggestions?)


The truth is, I'm very very happy that I moved here. I make a bit less than I did in Cleveland, but I'm living just as well, and am not getting hit as badly by taxes in the process (oh yeah, I almost forgot, food here is taxed, not just soda, but like going into a store and buying milk... you'll be taxed, that was different.)

Sure, I could nitpick about this and that, but all the big stuff has been wonderful, I love Kentucky, I have no plans to leave anytime soon, and it's really nice to live in a state that actually has four seasons..

Oh, final item, that ice storm we had earlier this year.. not so much fun, but even in a small town like Radcliff, we had power restored in 3 days..

So, if you are considering moving here, I can say from personal experience that it's a nice place to live, with very friendly people. I realize Cleveland isn't a big deal, but if any other folks are considering moving here from a 'bigger' city, I'd be happy to respond to any questions, or comments.

-nv
This was great advice, thanks!! I may be messaging you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top