U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 AM

14 posts, read 41,060 times

Advertisements

Well folks, I thought I'd pipe up after having moved to KY a bit more than a year ago. I'm originally from Cleveland, OH and moved to Radcliff in June of last year. I quickly found a job in the IT field, but it was located in Louisville, and that meant a 45-55 minute drive to work each day. The good news is, I quickly found work in an area that I was honestly concerned about. So.. any IT folks, there is work here (but from my experience, it's mostly in Louisville, though I understand that with the base-realignment stuff at Fort Knox, there's probably more technology work available down there now than there used to be.

I moved not too long ago closer to Louisville, mostly to lessen the mileage I was putting on my vehicle, and while I was trying to escape 'the big city' in Cleveland, I've found Louisville isn't really the typical 'big city' people are friendly, there are really cool sections of town, and I really like living close to the city.

Some of the neighborhoods I really like are Old Louisville, as the homes there are incredible, truly castles, but it's a bit sad that the huge majority of them have been re-configured as apartment dwellings. Rent in Old Louisville is very very reasonable, but the feel of the neighborhood seems very very nice in my opinion.

I like the Highlands, and Bardstown road as well, great places to eat, and everything is so close, definitely one of those "you can walk everywhere." neighborhoods.

Okay, I've got to find a couple things to complain about, just to even things out.

1) There aren't nearly as many diet and sugar-free products in the stores as I was used to in Cleveland. I haven't seen a single store that carries Diet Squirt. I'm a diabetic, so sugar-free stuff is something I keep an eye out for.

2) I haven't had a single loaf of bread similar to what I was used to in Cleveland, the brands here are different, and a year on, I'm still looking for something like what I typically bought in Cleveland (Wonder, Schwebels, etc)

3) I haven't found a good bar that serves excellent buffalo wings (anybody care to offer some suggestions?)

The truth is, I'm very very happy that I moved here. I make a bit less than I did in Cleveland, but I'm living just as well, and am not getting hit as badly by taxes in the process (oh yeah, I almost forgot, food here is taxed, not just soda, but like going into a store and buying milk... you'll be taxed, that was different.)

Sure, I could nitpick about this and that, but all the big stuff has been wonderful, I love Kentucky, I have no plans to leave anytime soon, and it's really nice to live in a state that actually has four seasons..

Oh, final item, that ice storm we had earlier this year.. not so much fun, but even in a small town like Radcliff, we had power restored in 3 days..

So, if you are considering moving here, I can say from personal experience that it's a nice place to live, with very friendly people. I realize Cleveland isn't a big deal, but if any other folks are considering moving here from a 'bigger' city, I'd be happy to respond to any questions, or comments.

-nv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,482,726 times
We love it too - we have been here 2 weeks shy of one year. My husband is diabetic - and I agree there is not the selection of diet drinks that we are used to. Costco in So. California carried so many different sugar free sodas and flavored waters. But to us, this is not that important.

We find the bread at Blue Dog Bakery and Breadworks to be wonderful. Our regular bread is the Double Fiber bread carried at most stores - it is a good addition to a diabetic's diet.

Have you tried Rumor's buffalo wings - we think they are great and they have lots of other wonderful appetizers - fun setting too.

Rumors specializes in seafood and shellfish, buffalo wings, pasta dishes, salads, sandwiches, and homemade soups, all in a great beach-themed environment.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:29 PM

666 posts, read 2,202,643 times
Rumors has awesome wings, so does Buffalo Wings and Rings. Buffalo wings aren't as popular here as they are in Cleveland. I remember almost every restaurant up there having wings on their menu. Coscto has quite a few sugar free options. They have a lot of sports drinks and fruit drinks that are sugar free. My favorite diet drink is Diet Big Red and I know they don't have it up in Cleveland it is more of a southern soft drink.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
Rumors has awesome wings, so does Buffalo Wings and Rings. Buffalo wings aren't as popular here as they are in Cleveland. I remember almost every restaurant up there having wings on their menu. Coscto has quite a few sugar free options. They have a lot of sports drinks and fruit drinks that are sugar free. My favorite diet drink is Diet Big Red and I know they don't have it up in Cleveland it is more of a southern soft drink.
Diet Big red IS good, I just wish they'd come up with a good diet RC

Old 07-13-2009, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 41,060 times
Thanks for the pointers on the bread, wings and diet stuff!

Oh, and to add my own favorite haunt (so far) I loove Molly Malones in the Highlands, we try to get there regularly, the food is incredible, and it's a great place to people-watch

-nv

Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 PM

666 posts, read 2,202,643 times
You should try Café 360 on Bardstown Road. They have good, cheap food. Anything from Fried Chicken and Waffles to Quesadillas to Indian food. I don't think anything is over 8 or 9 dollars. Its a good place to people watch too.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 AM

904 posts, read 1,587,984 times
Nullvector, I'm glad you made this thread. I'm actually from NE Ohio myself. I live in the Canton/Akron area. I'm graduating college in May of 2010, and Louisville is one of the places I'm looking into to relocate to.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1) What are the winters like in Louisville? I'm really tired of the winters here, especially since we're close to the snow belt. Canton obviously doesn't get hit as hard as Cleveland, but close enough. I want to get away from Ohio winters, so can you tell me what their like?

2) When I graduate, I'll be 23 years old. I'm a male and single. In your opinion, is Louisville a good place for a young professional to live? Is there quite a bit to do? Does there seem to be a good young crowd there?

3) I've never heard, but does Louisville have a cool riverfront like Cincinnati, Ohio with a bunch of restaurants and such? I love that about Cincinnati, and was just wondering the same about Louisville.

4) What is the ruling on public smoking? In Canton at least, it's illegal to smoke inside a public place. You must smoke outside. That's great for me personally since I have asthma so it's nice to not have to deal with it when I walk into a public place. What's the law there in Louisville?

Thanks for your time if you answer!

EDIT: Anyone else please feel free to respond to my questions as well if you'd like.

Last edited by gobucks86; 07-21-2009 at 02:14 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Nullvector, I'm glad you made this thread. I'm actually from NE Ohio myself. I live in the Canton/Akron area. I'm graduating college in May of 2010, and Louisville is one of the places I'm looking into to relocate to.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1) What are the winters like in Louisville? I'm really tired of the winters here, especially since we're close to the snow belt. Canton obviously doesn't get hit as hard as Cleveland, but close enough. I want to get away from Ohio winters, so can you tell me what their like?

2) When I graduate, I'll be 23 years old. I'm a male and single. In your opinion, is Louisville a good place for a young professional to live? Is there quite a bit to do? Does there seem to be a good young crowd there?

3) I've never heard, but does Louisville have a cool riverfront like Cincinnati, Ohio with a bunch of restaurants and such? I love that about Cincinnati, and was just wondering the same about Louisville.

4) What is the ruling on public smoking? In Canton at least, it's illegal to smoke inside a public place. You must smoke outside. That's great for me personally since I have asthma so it's nice to not have to deal with it when I walk into a public place. What's the law there in Louisville?

Thanks for your time if you answer!

EDIT: Anyone else please feel free to respond to my questions as well if you'd like.
1. Much milder. Night and day difference. Canton gets morer snow in one day than Louisville does all winter. Louisville winter is sually only 3 months and even then you have days in the 50s or even 60s, but most days are hi of 40 and low of 25.

2. Yes. and yes. Lots of good looking women. With the exception of Columbus, the nightlife is better than anywhere in OH or that whole region. Several bar strips, bars open til 4 AM, lots of art venues and galleries, ecectic shops, and urban, pedestrian oriented areas like Bardstown Road.

3. Cincinnati has a horrible riverfront IMO. It is nothing but giant stadiums cut off from the city. You must be speaking of NKY, which is nice. Louisville's riverfront will be comprable once the new arena opens and as Main Street becomes more lively. 4th street is more active at night than anything in downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati is quite a bit larger and more urban, but sometimes more urban in bad ways too if you know what I mean.

4. Louisville has had a smoking ban for years. You can't smoke anywhere inside ever unless its your own home.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
I'm on a low-carb diet and almost all of the low-carb and low-sugar stuff has disappeared with the passing of the low-carb diet fad.

Krogers and Meiers still carry Hill & Valley low sugar products, but it's really hit or miss. In Kroger, it's in a refrigerator unit near the pastry bar. In Meiers, it's in a free-standing wire rack by the pastry section. Their cookies and muffins are outstanding.

Target sill carries the Adkins candy bars and breakfast bars, and I also recommend them. I can't tell the difference between their candy and sugar candy.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Lots of good looking women.
This may sound strange but as y'all know I work at the zoo and notice alot of people. We do have some very beautiful women! I can't tell you how many women dress nice to come to the zoo, even with their babies with them. It's nice to know that there's still women who care about the way they present themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or