Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:40 PM

8 posts, read 31,984 times

Advertisements

I am newer to KY & am trying to get my bearings for my new surroundings. I was told it is hard to meet people in Louisville but I think that has more to do with Louisville, like Cincinnati being a "hometown" where many residents already have established social circles, moreso a hometown than a transient city where everyone else is new like you & in need of new friends. We have found Louisville to be super friendly so far but don't know enough to know what is genuine & what isn't. We also haven't figured out rural KY so I've been reading the "Louisville vs. Rural Ky" battles on this site. I'd be interested to know if any minorities have had good, great, bad or terrible experiences in Kentucky outside of Louisville (or inside of Louisville for that matter)?

From reading the threads I think some of them would read a lot differently if the author was white and vice versa some of the "rural KY is open minded with open arms" posts might read differently if the author was not white.

We are genuinely trying to learn more about this place, all responses are appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM

35 posts, read 83,558 times
I am a minority (afr-am female) who lives in Lou but works in rural parts of KY. I have found the people in Lou to be friendly and open to "outsiders", at least from my experience. I work in human svcs so we are required to travel to rural areas...our office is in bullitt co (shepherdsville, ky) but we serve a lot of rural communities around there. Bullitt historically has a rep of not being friendly to blacks (i.e. they have a place called ****** hill that still exists). I have worked out there four years and have never had any direct racism. However a black male coworker was chased with a whip...yes a whip in 2009, and our agency refused to do biz with a framer who made a racist comment in front of some of our employees. I think its hit and miss in most places. When I started working there I expected it to be a lot worse, but Bullitt I will say has made a lot of progress they have some minority residents now. I have never heard of Elizabethtown/Radcliff area having a lot problems. That area is more transient due to being close toFt. Knox. Bardstown has a significant minority population IMO. any particular areas that you are curious about?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitis View Post
I am newer to KY & am trying to get my bearings for my new surroundings. I was told it is hard to meet people in Louisville but I think that has more to do with Louisville, like Cincinnati being a "hometown" where many residents already have established social circles, moreso a hometown than a transient city where everyone else is new like you & in need of new friends. We have found Louisville to be super friendly so far but don't know enough to know what is genuine & what isn't. We also haven't figured out rural KY so I've been reading the "Louisville vs. Rural Ky" battles on this site. I'd be interested to know if any minorities have had good, great, bad or terrible experiences in Kentucky outside of Louisville (or inside of Louisville for that matter)?

From reading the threads I think some of them would read a lot differently if the author was white and vice versa some of the "rural KY is open minded with open arms" posts might read differently if the author was not white.

We are genuinely trying to learn more about this place, all responses are appreciated, thanks.
I'm an african-american male relocating to Louisville/Hardin County next year. I had the opportunity to visit last year and from my observations there is enough diversity so that i wont feel completely weird. Hardin County has Ft. Knox so that helps bring a lot of diversity as with any area with military. Meade is less diverse but i havent heard about racism that much. Bardstown has a pretty high population of african-americans.

Now Bullitt County, different story. Folks involved with BRAC here have said if you are a minority do NOT move to Bullitt County. Some on the KY forum can tell you stories of object racism from Bullitt County residents. Needless to say I want to avoid that place like swine flu.

While I'll probably have a major culture shock after spending most of my life in either Northern Virginia (diversity on steroids) or Hampton Roads, VA (major concentration of African-Americans) I think most Kentuckians in Hardin County or Louisville will focus more on my character than my color.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm an african-american male relocating to Louisville/Hardin County next year. I had the opportunity to visit last year and from my observations there is enough diversity so that i wont feel completely weird. Hardin County has Ft. Knox so that helps bring a lot of diversity as with any area with military. Meade is less diverse but i havent heard about racism that much. Bardstown has a pretty high population of african-americans.

Now Bullitt County, different story. Folks involved with BRAC here have said if you are a minority do NOT move to Bullitt County. Some on the KY forum can tell you stories of object racism from Bullitt County residents. Needless to say I want to avoid that place like swine flu.

While I'll probably have a major culture shock after spending most of my life in either Northern Virginia (diversity on steroids) or Hampton Roads, VA (major concentration of African-Americans) I think most Kentuckians in Hardin County or Louisville will focus more on my character than my color.
Several years back, when I was stationed at Fort Knox, I had one of the Shepherdsville locals try to start a fight with me. Absolutely no reason at all, minding my own business, dude was either high or drunk, not sure which. I think that, for whatever reason, there are some very rough pockets in Bullitt County. Mt Washington is nice,but I stay away from Shep as much as possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
This entire thread has no place in 2009 America. The code word "diversity" is nothing more than racism on steroids. Likewise, there is no place for "Jim Crowe" or other less than appropriate behavior.

Speaking only for myself, any one who comes into my space with an attitude of peace, respect, and personal responsibility, shall receive a perfect mirror image of those attitudes from me.

Most Kentuckians have been exposed to and actually endorse the Golden Rule. It's all I ask of anyone. "Do to others what you would want them to do to you." Very simple, very politically correct, and never threatening."

Old 07-27-2009, 06:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
This entire thread has no place in 2009 America. The code word "diversity" is nothing more than racism on steroids. Likewise, there is no place for "Jim Crowe" or other less than appropriate behavior.

Speaking only for myself, any one who comes into my space with an attitude of peace, respect, and personal responsibility, shall receive a perfect mirror image of those attitudes from me.

Most Kentuckians have been exposed to and actually endorse the Golden Rule. It's all I ask of anyone. "Do to others what you would want them to do to you." Very simple, very politically correct, and never threatening."
Sorry Tomocox, this is 2009, but there is still and will always be ignorance. I dont really think anyone could understand why folks of color like to make these threads unless they were a person of color.

My african-american mother grew up in the 1950s-60s and went through the Jim Crow South. I would NEVER EVER want to go through anything close to what she went through back then. Sadly Kentucky (or my state of Virginia for that matter) doesn't have a great reputation of being 100% accepting to folks of color. Thankfully, this only describes ever-shrinking portions of these two states.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Sorry Tomocox, this is 2009, but there is still and will always be ignorance. I dont really think anyone could understand why folks of color like to make these threads unless they were a person of color.

My african-american mother grew up in the 1950s-60s and went through the Jim Crow South. I would NEVER EVER want to go through anything close to what she went through back then. Sadly Kentucky (or my state of Virginia for that matter) doesn't have a great reputation of being 100% accepting to folks of color. Thankfully, this only describes ever-shrinking portions of these two states.
Your mother is not African-American. It is that kind of bull that divides and creates issues for people of non-European descent. In 1964, it became illegal for distinction; however, it has been the non-Europeans who have lowered their status by adding sub-titles.

I'll repeat the story one more time, people from Egypt, Libya, Algeria, and Morocco who skin is blacker than sub-Saharan people are not considered African-American. I must have studied the wrong geography books.

Reputations are not necessarily facts. When people of all races stop the pity parties and start reaching for their share of the American dream, then we'll find integrity in race.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

Amen to every single thing you said above Tomocox!

Can anybody believe that in 2009, racism and prejudice is still a problem? I'm sorry, but I was just raised better than that.
People are not their skin colour. That is just a genetic characteristic, like,for example, people of Nordic descent often being pale blond and blue eyed, or redheads not tanning well and having freckles, or people of Asian decent having "slanted" eyes.

So many other things to worry about nowdays. Race? I'm sorry, but I don't even consider it, never have; it's a non-issue in my opinion. Character is what I was raised to go by.

In saying that, as someone else said there are still "pockets" in Shepherdsville and other 'rural/semi-rural' areas. When I still lived in Louisville, there was quite a large number of areas in Southern Indiana that weren't exactly, er, uh, openminded.

Fort Knox, Radcliff, Vine Grove--those areas shouldn't have any dramas though, being primarily military areas. Many different races in our wonderful armed forces!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 PM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Impression is everything.

As a white male, i am sure I do not see all that a black male would see as far as racism. But its my impression that whenever a minority has something that does not go their way, they cry racism, regardless if it was or not. Like with the gates arrest. i don't think it was racism, but gates made it that way.

I think most of america is open minded/accepting (whatever you want to say there) of diversity, but blacks ( and I still laugh everytime I hear african american, make up your mind, african or american) keep making everything a racial issue.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 22,091 times
you're not African-American, unless you came directly from africa. Most people have not immigrated here from another country. on top of that not all african's are black. It drives me nuts that this term is still used. Should I go around proclaiming I am Swedish-Irish-American?! NO!

Why cant we all be just be AMERICANS?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area