Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,141 times

Advertisements

I've been to Louisville but never lived there. Im originally from Lexington but living in Florida. I am transferring to UofL and wanted to know if there are any suggestions as good parts bad parts of town etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
You can't go wrong along Eastern Parkway or Bardstown Rd & Poplar Level Rd north of I-264 (look for ads titled The Highlands, Audubon Park, Germantown, or St Joseph). Parts of Old Louisville just north of campus are really nice, although it has really high car insurance rates due to lots of car break ins.

Areas SW & W of campus are lower income areas I'd avoid - generally around Winker/ Taylor Blvd & 7th Street Road.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You can't go wrong along Eastern Parkway or Bardstown Rd & Poplar Level Rd north of I-264 (look for ads titled The Highlands, Audubon Park, Germantown, or St Joseph). Parts of Old Louisville just north of campus are really nice, although it has really high car insurance rates due to lots of car break ins.

Areas SW & W of campus are lower income areas I'd avoid - generally around Winker/ Taylor Blvd & 7th Street Road.
Agreed with that area, Use craigslist and fins some places in these areas. Run them by us and go look at at least 10, since apartments in old buildings can vary from luxury to dumps. I'll give you more advice once you find the address.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,141 times
Well I'm pretty much looking for an apartment, but Im not exactly sure on the price range yet.Probably just a two-bedroom place, because Im not sure if my roomate is moving to Louisville or not, which would help me with the price range/rent thing. I've looked online at Germantown and St. Joseph, although I don't know too much about the latter one. Is it a nice area?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexco21 View Post
Well I'm pretty much looking for an apartment, but Im not exactly sure on the price range yet.Probably just a two-bedroom place, because Im not sure if my roomate is moving to Louisville or not, which would help me with the price range/rent thing. I've looked online at Germantown and St. Joseph, although I don't know too much about the latter one. Is it a nice area?
Yes, both are middle income/blue collar areas with students mixed in. Also some young families are fixing up old homes in there because it is close to the yuppie Highlands, which many cannot afford. Some cool corner dive bars and restaurants too. If you can give me exact addresses of places, I can tell you if they are in good areas. In general, stay south of the railroad tracks that pass through Germantown.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:50 PM

95 posts, read 351,306 times
how about this address...1361 south floyed street ? I am thinking of renting here....any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternDoc View Post
how about this address...1361 south floyed street ? I am thinking of renting here....any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you
That's an all right area, but probably for the same price you could find something around St James Court. There are a couple of affordable apartments on Belgravia Court that advertise on Craiglist alot

Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternDoc View Post

I generally dont like floyd. It is kind of a transition area. Every block in old louisville is different. I agree with census data. Look closer to the area around St. James Court. You can get a gorgeous historic one bedroom for 500 there.

You may also search craigslist and search the lower highlands, clifton, and butchertown, and also east downtown. Judging by your screenname, you will be spending tons of time at UL hospital and will want to be less than 5 minutes away.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I generally dont like floyd. It is kind of a transition area. Every block in old louisville is different. I agree with census data. Look closer to the area around St. James Court. You can get a gorgeous historic one bedroom for 500 there.

You may also search craigslist and search the lower highlands, clifton, and butchertown, and also east downtown. Judging by your screenname, you will be spending tons of time at UL hospital and will want to be less than 5 minutes away.
Actually there is an apartment building on Belgravia Court right at the alley btw 4th & StJaCt that is more toward the $425 range. Rent around St James Court really varies (anywhere from $400 to $600) so looking around a few weeks can really pay off. I rented a great looking studio apartment that backed up to Belgravia Court for $425 including all utilities and pet rent for a dog & cat.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM

95 posts, read 351,306 times
and what is the studio place called ? where exactly is it ? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area