Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 PM

22 posts, read 88,681 times

Advertisements

ARRRR Azeleas closed and Primo, I guess I need to visit more! That sucks. Ok, not too "trendy" I hear you. De la Torres is excellent, I lived in Spain and these guys really re-create the pleasure of a spanish bar/restaurante complete with the tapas counter. Spaniards are beyond trend, their food is so simple and to the point there is no room for it. In Avalon's defense, the food has always been amazing and pushes the envelope. The oak room might be more your style, the food is as fresh as it gets and labored over (delectable), and the wait staff are real professionals. Le Relais is a great experience in a counterintuitive location. The beautiful thing about Louisville is the ability to get a great bite at so many locally owned restaurants with their own original flavors. Buen Provecho!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madre5050 View Post
Thanks for all the great imput. You ask for more details. We are not really the "trendy" set but more classic or traditional in our choices (but not British protocol stuffy). For our anniversary dinner we would probably go more "stuffy" than trendy and we definitely are not into jazz but more quiet classical ensemble background music. We want excellent food with "impeccable" service. We get tired of going to "trendy" places that have good food but the wait staff are unkempt---pants about ready to fall off, hair going in all different directions, girls with obviously too tight of button shirts, and the wait staff stoop down putting their elbows on our table acting "folksy" while they take our food order. We can have that every day of the week. So we oviously are interested in a total opposite atmosphere for a special occasion such as an anniversary. I have to say the older we get, the pickier we are about food quality and quality of service or the lack thereof which unfortunately happens to be the case more times than not in this over casual, lack of manners or social graces society. So with this in mind of the restaurants mentioned we would probably be interested in something along the lines of 610 Magnolia or Oakroom. If you have eaten in Charleston, SC and eaten at places such as Circa 1886, 82 Qeen, or The Woodlands in Summerville, you'll know what I'm talking about as far as atmosphere, food quality and service. Thanks.
Indeed. Please go with 610 Magnolia, Oakroom, English Grill, or if you prefer suburbs, Corbett's (although the venue itself is stunning). These are in a league at least with those restaurants. For being a small town, Charleston has very nearly a top 20 restaurant scene. IMO, however, it is not as large and diversified as Louisville, despite Louisville being less well known for this.

Let me add something though. Louisville's trendy good eats are NOT full of unkempt servers and overhyped food. Places like Proof have received national acclaim for excellellent food.

Also, do not discount Le Relais. It may have the most romantic setting of them all, with a nice patio overlooking a historic small plane airport.and a chef and sommellier second to none.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 42,871 times
I think we'll try 610 Magnolia! Can't wait. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. I'm so glad to see that there is such a large number of locally owned restaurants to choose from for our second night in Louisville. My husband being also a small business owner we try to support the "locals". One other question. I lived in Louisville from 1974-76. In fact, I lived on Cherokee Parkway and loved every minute of my time in Louisville. There was a place called "Butchertown Pub" that I frequented a few times. Does it still exist? We're going to re-trace all the old stomping grounds.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madre5050 View Post
I think we'll try 610 Magnolia! Can't wait. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. I'm so glad to see that there is such a large number of locally owned restaurants to choose from for our second night in Louisville. My husband being also a small business owner we try to support the "locals". One other question. I lived in Louisville from 1974-76. In fact, I lived on Cherokee Parkway and loved every minute of my time in Louisville. There was a place called "Butchertown Pub" that I frequented a few times. Does it still exist? We're going to re-trace all the old stomping grounds.
No. That is a gentrifying area though, and there is some new retail down there. Check out some of the rehabs on Washington and Franklin streets. Wonderful restorations, urban grit, and even some contemporary infill.

regarding butchertown pub, ask the same question on the forum Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com. They will now on that forum. It is freee and friendly.

I do believe Butchertown Pub is now a closed? gay nightclub called Fuzion or perhaps a store called something like Kentucky Home Brewing Company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area