U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 AM

8 posts, read 16,867 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much for your reply and information. We currently reside south of Pittsburgh, PA and don't know the people or areas in KY. We rely on the "kindness of strangers" to help us out!! Thank you again. It's a real shame that Becker's Quarry has so many trains coming by as it is truly a beautiful subdivision. I feel badly for those folks who put a lot of money into their homes and have to put up with that noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHounds View Post
Thank you very much for your reply and information. We currently reside south of Pittsburgh, PA and don't know the people or areas in KY. We rely on the "kindness of strangers" to help us out!! Thank you again. It's a real shame that Becker's Quarry has so many trains coming by as it is truly a beautiful subdivision. I feel badly for those folks who put a lot of money into their homes and have to put up with that noise.
There is very little of Oldham County that is immune to the train noise. Of course some is much closer than other places, but the train is our fire. It's mighty warming to hear and enjoy, but it can be very dangerous too.

We live in Briar Hill. The head of our bed is on the end of the house which is about a mile from the track and we can hear that train a blow'n many nights. Usually very comforting, occasionally annoying.

There are many homes throughout the county that match Becker Quarry's and no train or playgrounds.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM

76 posts, read 142,216 times
I am visiting Louisville next week & attending the American Legion Convention there. While I have time I want to check out a few areas, it would appear Highlands area is a highly desireable area, but I'm a guy, happily divorced, 52, kids grown & want to consider moving to a nice area around Louisville, not too suburban, a little rural, & very few swing sets & sandboxes. I plan on visiting Bardstown also. My goal may be to retire in a couple of years, & possibly have a second home
in the vicinity of KY. or TN.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 105,262 times
We moved to Louisville from just north of Pittsburgh. We were looking to move to OC for the schools and taxes or the Highlands for the shops and restaurants. I never gave much thought to St Matthews but I know lots of people who live there and they love it. It's close to absolutely everything, the houses are small and "charming", but have much bigger yards and off street parking/garages unlike most houses in the Highlands. There have tons of catholic schools in that area, so it makes sense that most families choose that route.
We looked at several homes in the Highlands, but our pretty generous budget wouldn't buy the space, condition, or location of house that we wanted. Also, creeping along in traffic on Bardstown Rd for an hr really stunk. If you work downtown and use public transportation, though, traffic isn't that much of an issue. Schools are hit or miss, but that's JC in a nutshell. Assume you will need to go private or parochial for a couple of years, just in case.
OC is OC. It's the burbs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We looked at a dozen homes in several neighborhoods. We didn't want to be too far out. The houses and neighborhoods were fine, but nothing really special. I'm sure if we had moved to any of them, we would have been pretty happy. Schools were the only reason we were willing to live in OC. In the end, we chose JC for everything except the schools. We're doing private for at least a couple of years, then our kids will be in HS and looking at options.
Hope this rambling was helpful!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM

76 posts, read 142,216 times
I've been through Highlands & St. Matthews, had dinner last night at Mark's Feed Store & BBQ,had pulled chicken sandwich & Burgoo. Godd eatin'. I been to a few places around there, it has a lot of charm. Folks a real nice out here & friendly. I have one more day here then I have to head back to San Diego. Wish I could stay Longer. I went to Jeffersonville across the bridge, met some real nice folks there too.
Looks like I have to come back.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,972,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcforbreakfast View Post
Here are some details of what we're looking for: (I read the sticky!)

-Where you are working
Potentially NW of the airport/North of 264

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
275,000-375,000 (need 4 bedrooms/2 full bathrooms/2 car garage)

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
20-25 miles out/30-40 minutes max (obviously closer is better, but my husband swears he doesn't mind driving if it means we live in a great place)

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
We prefer great public schools that you can walk to or a short drive (elementary age) We would also consider private if necessary (what is the price range of tuition, anyone know?)

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We do not want to be in a rural setting, but we don't mind suburbs or small town. We'd prefer something with a lot of neighbors and kids, don't need a lot of land, small yards are fine. Ideally would like to be able to walk to most things (grocery, restaurants, shops). However, a planned community with a golf course/pool/or tennis courts would be a great substitute. We want the kids to be able to find kids on the street to play with. Oh and there needs to be a Target within reasonable distance! Ha!

-Community amenities important to you
A nearby YMCA would be great, parks.
If you are likely to work on the NW side of town, southern Indiana may be a good option. Esepcially if you like the Y-system. New Albany has a brand new Y that is extremely nice and the public school system (Floyd knobs and Georgetown) is a good one. I-64 - *on the Indiana side* - moves along quite rapidly in the morning.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 11,837 times
Oh, c'mon. Did the train as fire

Last edited by tomcox; 08-27-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area