U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:47 AM

8 posts, read 18,410 times

Advertisements

[quote=missymomof3;10123439]I agree with the Glendale assessment but I dunno if you'll find a rental there. Here's a link or two for you....quote]

Glendale will be almost an hour drive to Ft. Knox. A lady i work with lives there and says that it takes her anywhere from 45 min- 1 hour to get to work. Depending on traffic, weather and now road construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,048 times
Default Areas around Fort Knox

Wanted to give my two cents.
* Radcliff is close to Fort Knox, but that's about it. It is a collection of small shops, car dealers, and fast food places. One of the other things to consider is the school. We were concerned about the high school and North Hardin is not one that we wanted our kids to attend (drugs, gangs - though it's not a problem like some big cities).
* Elizabethtown has alot more going for it but it does take a bit to travel to Fort Knox on a daily basis. The problem is not only the traffic (2 lanes in each direction separated by a grassy median) but it has alot of traffic lights AND it seems there is a turn-off every quarter mile or less (when I mean turn-off, think of the two lanes in each direction and there is a section that allows you to turn into a business on the other side of the road - no lights, just a simple turn point). E-town does have more stores and decent places to eat, but it does have alot of traffic (thanks to the poor planning when they built 31W). You have to go to the outskirts of E-town to find a nice quiet place.
* Vine Grove is a nice small town, but for us, the problem was the school (North Hardin)
* Brandenburg is about 9 miles to the west of Fort Knox. The town itself is small and only has a few places to shop and eat. We live close to Brandenburg (about 7.5 miles from the Brandenburg Station Road Gate) in a gated community called Doe Valley. Doe Valley does have it's own golf course (we did not join because we don't play golf), but most of the houses are not on top of one another. Most of the streets end in cul-de-sacs and they have a lake, 2 beaches, tennis courts, swimming pools, a marina, and a club house. We initially rented a house ($1250 per month) but this was for a 3100 sq ft house, all brick, 3 years old, surrounded by woods. We now own the house and are very happy. It is very quiet out here and it doesn't take long to get to Fort Knox.

You will find there are many small towns and homes that are scattered throughout the countryside.

If you have more questions, drop a line here and I'll try and help.

Steve

Old 08-05-2009, 02:26 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,589,734 times
[quote=stephg02;10123736]
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I agree with the Glendale assessment but I dunno if you'll find a rental there. Here's a link or two for you....quote]

Glendale will be almost an hour drive to Ft. Knox. A lady i work with lives there and says that it takes her anywhere from 45 min- 1 hour to get to work. Depending on traffic, weather and now road construction.
It takes me an hour yto drive there from Louisville so there is no way unless traffic is horrible.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 18,410 times
[quote=missymomof3;10126435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephg02 View Post

It takes me an hour yto drive there from Louisville so there is no way unless traffic is horrible.
it all depends on how you get there i guess. her main way to ft. knox is 31w and lots of mornings there is a wait to get on post. depending on how many gate gaurds are there. I know it takes me atleast 30 to get from ft knox to elizabethtown, the tj maxx to be exact and thats on a good day.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:14 AM

716 posts, read 1,411,609 times
Another vote for Vine Grove here. Radcliff is an ugly,commercialized strip full of fast food restaurants and tattoo joints. Etown is a nice town, but too much sprawl on North Dixie Hwy going towards post. Brandenburg is ok, traffic from Brandenburg to the gate is very light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area