U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 AM

209 posts, read 632,531 times

Advertisements

... except I left out the word 'be'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM

5,669 posts, read 6,462,020 times
Default Mid City Mall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
I grew up on Rosewood Ave (my mom, 90, still lives there). I watched the Mid-City Mall be built each day on my walk to the old Atherton. Hunter S Thompson and Sue Grafton lived not far away. The thing about the Highlands then and now is that there is so much grittiness mixed in with the gentrified and hipster that snobbery seems to be always brought down to earth quickly. Of course, there is a bit of odd snobbery attached to being able to say, "I live on Cherokee Road, and bump into skaters, goths, bums, and doctors and lawyers." It's not the snobbery of aloofness, but the self-satisfaction that you live in a true urban place. Anchorage is old-school snobbish. The Highlands is a new, dare I say, better, snobbery. No one can truly uppity walking through Mid-City Mall.
Mid City Mall is still open??? Last time I saw it, years ago, it seemed like it was closed up.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM

140 posts, read 558,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
There's an interesting take on the Highlands on the Craigslist rant and rave board Monday August 31. Not reposting here because of length. These are not necessarily my opinions. Sure to make some mad and others nod in agreement. Read at your own risk. Again, not necessarily my opinions.
I'm genuinely curious: in what sense did you find it to be "an interesting take"? What was interesting about it?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,352,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmill3 View Post
I'm genuinely curious: in what sense did you find it to be "an interesting take"? What was interesting about it?
That it was this person's opinion and so different than most. I didn't say I agreed with it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Mid City Mall is still open??? Last time I saw it, years ago, it seemed like it was closed up.
Yes, it is still open

Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM

Actually Mid-City Mall has improved a bit. There's the best movie house in town, with some independent and foreign films; the very good City Cafe, a branch library, and locally owned, and quite good ValuMarket. Still there's a depressing, unappealing vibe to the central space, a hangout for what look like central casting characters in a Smokey and the Bandit movie. It's surprising that more interesting shops have not shown up, given the chic general location and the ease of parking.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Quote:
a hangout for what look like central casting characters in a smokey and the bandit movie.
lol!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,352,580 times
Quote:
Still there's a depressing, unappealing vibe to the central space, a hangout for what look like central casting characters in a Smokey and the Bandit movie.
Is it full of rednecks?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM

I hate the word 'redneck.' But no, even using the definition most people have of that word... The hangers-out there are a slice of the urban poor and under-class - black and white - sometimes elderly, unemployed, under-employed, outcast. They used to come and smoke. Now, they just hang.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM

5,669 posts, read 6,462,020 times
Default Mid City Mall

Quote:
Actually Mid-City Mall has improved a bit. There's the best movie house in town, with some independent and foreign films; the very good City Cafe, a branch library, and locally owned, and quite good ValuMarket. Still there's a depressing, unappealing vibe to the central space, a hangout for what look like central casting characters in a Smokey and the Bandit movie. It's surprising that more interesting shops have not shown up, given the chic general location and the ease of parking.
Things HAVE changed. When I lived in Louisville many years ago, Mid City Mall area was a run down place. Good to hear it's improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or