U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,007 times

Advertisements

^
Probably the biggest difference is that The Highlands has Bardstown Road, which is the "Main Street" of the neighborhood, lined with shops, restaurants, etc....sort of giving the neighborhood a focus. Old Louisville doesn't have a "Main Street" like that, being more of a residential area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:11 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,007 times
Styx gave good advice on Frankfort Avenue. This would be the Crescent Hill and Clifton neighborhoods, which is somewhat like The Highlands. Probably more the Clifton area.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:16 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,283 times
Naomi, even though the tests to get a job within the education system in Louisville might be a bit more than you're really wanting to deal with, I urge you to consider before opting out. We really need quality counselors and people who care. Of course, I'm sure that is not your only criteria!

Someone mentioned Ear-X-tacy.....it's an awesome place, and the last time we were down in Perth we were driving through the CBD (Central Business District, what we'd call Downtown...) and there was a guy driving a pretty beat up early model Camry.....WITH AN EAR-X-TACY STICKER ON HIS REAR WINDOW!!! I got so excited I nearly peed my pants!
My husband thought I'd lost my mind; I couldn't convince him that Ear-X-Tacy is not a nationwide chain, that it's Louisville specific.....which more than likely meant that guy had visited Louisville at some point; that or a friend or relative did.
But anyway, I really wanted to ask him about it......but sometimes it's not such a good idea to approach someones car in an excited fashion! lol

Dang!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,198,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Naomi, even though the tests to get a job within the education system in Louisville might be a bit more than you're really wanting to deal with, I urge you to consider before opting out. We really need quality counselors and people who care. Of course, I'm sure that is not your only criteria!

Someone mentioned Ear-X-tacy.....it's an awesome place, and the last time we were down in Perth we were driving through the CBD (Central Business District, what we'd call Downtown...) and there was a guy driving a pretty beat up early model Camry.....WITH AN EAR-X-TACY STICKER ON HIS REAR WINDOW!!! I got so excited I nearly peed my pants!
My husband thought I'd lost my mind; I couldn't convince him that Ear-X-Tacy is not a nationwide chain, that it's Louisville specific.....which more than likely meant that guy had visited Louisville at some point; that or a friend or relative did.
But anyway, I really wanted to ask him about it......but sometimes it's not such a good idea to approach someones car in an excited fashion! lol

Dang!

it is not the test i am worried about because there is no exam in kentucky for school counselors. they do however have experience requirements where i would have to get my teaching credential reviewed, and have to teach for a few years before i could even get a counseling job. it kind of is the same deal in texas, it is just i have a feeling kentucky will make me take a million extra courses.

anyway 2 more questions sorry!!

1. what are school districts to look into that are within 30 minutes of louisville??? i only know one- jefferson lol
2. okay so what i read on here is that december has random weather. one day it is freezing, and the next it is pleasant. i can either visit in october, march, or december. i was hoping to visit montreal and quebec city in october using my miles. march i might be going on a family trip, but it is not certain. now i know december is probably the worst option of the 3, but for relocation purposes, i think coming in extreme weather is probably the best thing to do. when looking into moving, i said i will not move anywhere where i have to wear a million layers and where there are snowstorms. something about louisville seems to intrigue me though to "make up" for that weather.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:01 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,482,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
it is not the test i am worried about because there is no exam in kentucky for school counselors. they do however have experience requirements where i would have to get my teaching credential reviewed, and have to teach for a few years before i could even get a counseling job. it kind of is the same deal in texas, it is just i have a feeling kentucky will make me take a million extra courses.

anyway 2 more questions sorry!!

1. what are school districts to look into that are within 30 minutes of louisville??? i only know one- jefferson lol
2. okay so what i read on here is that december has random weather. one day it is freezing, and the next it is pleasant. i can either visit in october, march, or december. i was hoping to visit montreal and quebec city in october using my miles. march i might be going on a family trip, but it is not certain. now i know december is probably the worst option of the 3, but for relocation purposes, i think coming in extreme weather is probably the best thing to do. when looking into moving, i said i will not move anywhere where i have to wear a million layers and where there are snowstorms. something about louisville seems to intrigue me though to "make up" for that weather.
1) Everyone will say Oldham County, which is far and away the best public system in the area. They are in a hiring moratorium at this moment.
I would check with the various "school corporations" in S. Indiana. Whereas Kentucky effectively is county by county with exception, Indiana has a much more township based educational system.

2) UPS chose the Louisville airport as it has the lowest number of weather issues of any airport in the central US. What you may be confusing is the number of "closed" days for Kentucky schools. KY funds its school districts based on the "average" number of students in attendance. There is also the legal issue of a child being hurt on a poorly trained/driven school bus with a dusting of snow.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
thanks for the tips. i might just pay extra and fly there then on my own for a few days. i checked out the kentucky education website on the tests i would need. they have a lot of requirements for those that want to be school counselors. that was a bit annoying. texas was much more laidback on it. i dont know. we will see. whats the main difference between the highlands and old lousville?
Lots. The Highlands has lots more pedestrian and commerical activity, is safer, has higher property values, more traffic, and is 70% college educated and 90% white. everything from movie stores, movie theatre, small organic grocery, hipster coffee shops, irish pubs, clothing boutiques, cell stores, etc, is within walking distance in the Highlands, and the bus transit is fairly reliable for a mid sized city. You simply won't find a neighborhood as dense with as much pedestrian activty mixing upscale with young, with a historic park and as many good restaurants in one area in many similar sized cities.

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

Old Louisville is more urban, with more gays, students, and lots more racial mixing. Lots of upscale mansions but also multi story multiplexes and some section 8 mixed in, especially on its northern, western, and eastern fringes. It also has higher crime than the Highlands, but it is not terrible, more in line with large city urban crime like what you saw in Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Bucktown in Chicago before they became yuppified inthe last ten years.

Old Louisville is the largest collection of Victorian mansions in the US, and the architecure is stunning. Still, there is significantly less pedestrian activity, very little in the way of retail, and of course a few good small neighborhood restaurants, mostly on hidden corners.

Old Louisville Guide

You are also leaving out large sections of the city. Unlike similar sized cities, Louisville has more than one or two urban nabes where professional, educated people live.

Some other areas for you to look would certainly be Crescent Hill and Clifton, along the Frankfort Avenue corridor going east towards Shelbyville Road, and along Lexington Road. Anywhere near Seneca or Cherokee Parks is beautiful. For an inner ring burb, St Matthews is very nice, and is a counterpart to the area of nashville known as the West End before it becomes Bellemeade.

As a compromise between Old Louisville and the Highlands, there is an area known as Germantown which is a mix of old timers and working class residents and also students and young families, with a growing prevelence of educated hipsters thrown in, who hang out at spots like Nachbar, Zanzabar, Sunergo's coffeehouse, etc.

Finally, do not forget about the gentrifying downtown and Butchertown areas. You may find parts of Washington street and east market street to your liking, although they do not have the vibrancy of other city nabes yet. Nashville has a substantially advanced downtown as compared to Louisville, but Louisville's downtown is getting there (at the very least check out fourth street and main street between 2nd and 9th streets). That said, Louisville's strengths are clearly the urbanity of its nabes for a southern city, and you honestly will have a hard time finding hoods like the Highlands in Nashville.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:50 PM

ok so it looks like the highlands is the place for me.

anyway, does the first week of october and the first week of october that different with weather? im thinking of a 4 night trip.

any districts in indiana i should look into within a 30 minute drive? i looked at a couple online, but they were tiny usually offering 2 elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. i prefer to go with a larger district just because i would have a better chance of employment there

Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,559,442 times
Quote:
ok so it looks like the highlands is the place for me.

anyway, does the first week of october and the first week of october that different with weather? im thinking of a 4 night trip.

any districts in indiana i should look into within a 30 minute drive? i looked at a couple online, but they were tiny usually offering 2 elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school. i prefer to go with a larger district just because i would have a better chance of employment there
If you are here the first weekend in October, you'll be here in time for the St james art fair: St James Court Art Show as far as weather, it really is hard to say

Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
If you are here the first weekend in October, you'll be here in time for the St james art fair: St James Court Art Show as far as weather, it really is hard to say
cool. is there a popular online event list i could look at that you know of?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 AM

153 posts, read 477,087 times
Quote:
cool. is there a popular online event list i could look at that you know of?
I'm too lazy to look for any online event lists Naomi but the St. James Art Show is a can't miss event. It is truly amazing and October is a great time in Lville. I'm a nonpracticing Jew also and love living in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area