U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:13 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,221,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
cool. is there a popular online event list i could look at that you know of?
Louisville Kentucky - Home of the Kentucky Derby - Visitors Bureau

Visitors - Visitors - LouisvilleKy.gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,199,735 times
oh thanks. looks like coming oct 1-4 might be the best. these events look really good:
first friday hop oct 2
kentucky flea market oct 2-oct 4
st. james court art show oct 2-4 (would i appreciate though if im not really into art?)
bardstown ghost trek oct 3

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,563,802 times
I think you would like the art show anyway because the neighborhood is pretty and there is more than just art. Plus, it's free so if you don't, you can leave with no loss

Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,879,876 times
You should be warned that this is a very big event, so parking is tough. Its been years since Ive went and it was a mob scene then. It's probably even larger now.

St James Court Art Fair is probably the major community festival of the fall season in Louisville.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM

wow you guys werent kidding when you said how popular the event is. i was playing with days for hotels on hotwire. it looked like the brown hotel was their 4.5 star hotel and was affordable on certain days. but when i enter the days for any hotel from 9/30-10/4 on hotwire, no downtown hotels show up! when i enter for the days 10/14-10/18, the brown is 89 a night, and their 4 star (probably galt house) is 69 a night.

i forgot to ask you all is louisville good for singles in their 20s-30s? also (really dumb) but GENERALLY what do they men there find physically attractive about a woman? i live in los angeles and i think im attractive, but unless you look and dress a certain way, you really dont have much luck in dating!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 967,561 times
Los Angeles--and I dearly love it, really I do--is probably a whole lot more looks prejudice than Louisville. In comparison, Louisville is so laid back it's actually laying down! So if you are "competitive" on the dating/singles scene in LA, then you'll be fine in Louisville!

there are lots of lovely, pretty/beautiful/gorgeous ladies in Louisville, but it's just a whole other culture.

Anybody else want to back me up? Or , to be fair, even say anything in rebuttal, just to give it a broader scope?

Having lived in Louisville the majority of my life, and been in/around LA many many times for extended periods I feel like that is a pretty honest assessment. Of course, I haven't been in LA for about 7 years, but I'm sure it hasn't changed, and if it has, I'm pretty sure it would have gotten more intense!

Old 08-21-2009, 06:32 AM

63 posts, read 149,012 times
I have a friend who moved here from San Diego and said that in general Louisville people are way nicer than in SoCal and less condescending. Don't know if that helps or not.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:47 AM

yay. thanks for the "dating in louisville" advice. i am born and raised in los angeles. i need a huge change and like the idea of actually being able to afford a little house! between austin and louisville (assuming i would love it which i think i will), i will go where ever i have a better chance of getting a job in my field!

anyway, i think im going to book a trip to louisville!
fly there oct 3 and fly back home on the 7th. 260 on american
brown hotel is 432 for 4 nights. i am used to staying at hostels and cheap hotels, but this place looked worth treating myself at
brown hotel parking for 4 days (dont think its worth it to get the car the day i fly in) is 72
enterprise car rental is 92 .

with these dates i could still see most of the things i want to check out. i would book now, but i want to find out the deal as early as possible with my classes (i am a grad student). im already missing a monday for a jewish holiday, so i will end up missing 2 mondays. need to find out who will be teaching that class!

thanks for the tips guys. i am excited about the brown especially their breakfast and lunch menu!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,221,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
thanks for the tips guys. i am excited about the brown especially their breakfast and lunch menu!
Their breakfast buffet is the best I've ever had. At lunch or dinner, get the Hot Brown. It's the local dish that was actually invented at the Brown Hotel. (Hence the name!) Turkey, ham and bacon over toast with a cheese sause. Yum!

Edited to add: Uhm, I didn't really think that through when I made that suggestion.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Their breakfast buffet is the best I've ever had. At lunch or dinner, get the Hot Brown. It's the local dish that was actually invented at the Brown Hotel. (Hence the name!) Turkey, ham and bacon over toast with a cheese sause. Yum!

Edited to add: Uhm, I didn't really think that through when I made that suggestion.
do they make the hot brown with no ham or bacon? i am very picky about meat (i will eat fish and chicken and turkey once in a blue moon.

lol at the edited to add. i am not a vegetarian anymore, i just try to keep a mainly veg diet.

any places walking distance to the brown i should also check out the day i arrive? again i wont spend the money for a car because i wont be in till 4:30 pm. would like just to hang around the hotel and anything within a 20 minute walk each way that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area