Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 18,003 times

Advertisements

Hey, very informative forum. Appreciate the responses. I read the sticky and:

-Where you are working
University of Louisville

-How much you are willing to spend on housing
$500-$700 range. Would love a place within walking/biking distance of the school. A place that is funished and has a pool/gym would be a nice bonus but not necessary.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
10-15 minutes

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
Not that picky, anything that feels safe and has a decent place to get cheap beers and watch a game near by.

-Pie or cake?
Cake hands down.

A couple other quick questions. Is this the type of city I would really need to have a car in. I currently live in Boston and have been without a car for 3 years but I don't want to mess with a mediocre public transportation system.

My goal is to move by Nov or so. Does anyone by any chance know how long it takes to establish residency in the state?

Any advice or links that could make the move easier would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
I can't help you out because I don't live in Louisville(but would like to move there), however your pie or cake question cracked me up. I just wanted to mention that lol.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM

63 posts, read 171,915 times
Ascohen~ I will do my best here to help you out, being that I have lived here my entire life. I have been to NYC twice (which I assume is similar to Boston as far as transportation goes) and I understand that lifestyle, but I think its safe to say that you must have a car in Louisville. We don't have a subway/train system, and I unfortunately can't speak for our bus system (never ridden the bus)TARC:. There are many areas in Louisville where you can find a "walking distance" neighborhood, however, you will not be able to walk to everything. I currently live in Crescent Hill which is urban without the hustle & bustle of downtown. I can walk to a Walgreens, restaurants, a small bar, wine shop, etc. but, for other things I have to drive, i.e. Kroger, dry cleaners, fast food, bank, etc.
As far as living situation is concerned, you should check out Old Louisville Old Louisville Guide. I know many grad. students living in this area.
Don't know about residency, as mentioned I have always lived here.
Feel free to ask more questions, I'll do my best to help. Hopefully TOMOCOX will reply to this thread, he is VERY helpful. (Don't be fooled however by an imitater that popped up recently:TOMCOX, notice the lack of the"o") Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 AM

63 posts, read 171,915 times
Just found this in another post, seems pretty accurate Louisville, KY City Guide - Neighborhoods, Attractions, Real Estate & Events : HGTV FrontDoor Real Estate

Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Appreciate the post and advice.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Will you be going to the Med School or Main Campus?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:41 PM

I will be at the main campus.

I guess I'll throw one more question out there. Anyone have suggestions on places to find a roommate? I'm willing to live alone, but it might be nice to try to live with someone since I don't know a soul in the area. Also I might be able to stay somewhere a little nice if I could split costs.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:41 PM

140 posts, read 618,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascohen11180 View Post
I guess I'll throw one more question out there. Anyone have suggestions on places to find a roommate?
Seriously--you live in Boston and don't know the answer to this? Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area