U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 AM

157 posts, read 228,995 times
Default West Point and Hardin County

Is West Point a good place to live? We're contemplating buying a house near there--but we're not TOO serious yet.

Facts:
*Married couple
*Mid 20s
*Plan to have kids so public school info is helpful
*Low income
*We would be relocating from Louisville
*I currently work in Southern Indiana but I can transfer within my company; I hope to work in SW Louisville.
*I'm from Chicago suburbs and husband is an immigrant (arrived last year and is a PR now)
*We don't need a lot of buzz and excitement (husband is from a small town of 2,000 people and likes that better than a city). We couldn't care less if we lived in a large city or if it were an hour away.
*Proximity to community college or adult education facility is important (wouldn't mind driving as long as it's not a ridiculous distance)
*Would REALLY like land and open space

I heard Hardin County schools were good. I've only been through West Point one time to drop someone off. What I know is that it's a small, old river town and it's close to Ft. Knox. How long of a drive between West Point and Etown? What should I know about this place? How's the crime? What kinds of businesses are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,637,397 times
West point to Etown is about 30 minutes or so. A few red light will make it longer or shorter depending on how you catch them.

You also have radcliff which is between west point and etown. i think the crime is a little higher in radcliff but thats only my opinion, no hard facts.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM

157 posts, read 228,995 times
Default In the "maybe pile"

Ok. I did some research about West Point and my husband and I visited this afternoon. Positive points I can see were proximity to Louisville, proximity to the Ohio River, easy walkability, cheap property... And the negatives...To put it another way, we were walking on the streets that are less than the width of the alley behind our apartment, and I said to my husband, "this place makes me feel gigantic." I'm afraid that in more than one way I would feel like a "big fish" in this town. If I had enough money right now I think I could make a difference, but I don't have that kind of money and patience. As for the schools...I thought I heard someone say Hardin County had good schools but maybe she was talking about Etown? From what I read and see about West Point, my (future) kids would be better off staying with their grandparents and going to school there...in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area