Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,435,637 times

Advertisements

I know this is a touchy subject, but I was wondering if there is a gang problem in Louisville? We're coming from Phoenix area, and don't want to move somewhere that we'll experience the same issues we have here. Thanks so much for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I know this is a touchy subject, but I was wondering if there is a gang problem in Louisville? We're coming from Phoenix area, and don't want to move somewhere that we'll experience the same issues we have here. Thanks so much for your feedback!
No, our gang problems are nothing like Phoenix. Most of the gangs in Louisville are small, local black gangs confined to the west end. As long as you don't live in that area, you will not notice any gang activity. From what I have read, Phoenix is overrun with Latino gangs. The Latin population has just not gotten high enough here and we don't have any problems like that.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,987,982 times
Stx, about a year and a half ago I did see what looked like gang signs (graffiti) on road signs along 42 in Prospect (could have been some teens having "fun", don't know)....didn't notice anything last fall when I was there...have you noticed anything like this in your travels? Does Louisville have a graffiti abatement crew that deals with graffiti - it was so odd to see this - haven't noticed graffiti much at all otherwise.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Thank you for your feedback. It's true that Latino gangs have overrun many areas of Phoenix.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 68,804 times
I lived in Tempe for 4 years- on Hardy by University. Where in the Phoenix area are you coming from?

Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Surprise actually (yay... not any reall gangs here), but I've lived in Phoenix, Glendale, and Queen Creek, too.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Stx, about a year and a half ago I did see what looked like gang signs (graffiti) on road signs along 42 in Prospect (could have been some teens having "fun", don't know)....didn't notice anything last fall when I was there...have you noticed anything like this in your travels? Does Louisville have a graffiti abatement crew that deals with graffiti - it was so odd to see this - haven't noticed graffiti much at all otherwise.
No, the graffiti here is mostly done by local groups of bored teens. I know in large cities gangs use graffiti to "mark territory," but there is little of that in Louisville. You can see graffiti on road signs anywhere...case in point, I saw some on signs in the Hamptons, NY! Does that mean you wouldn't live there?

Louisville had a legal graffiti wall downtown, but they put an end to that. You will see a decent amount of tasteful graffiti in the more urban areas of the city, but I have seen very little in the suburbs if at all.

I would not worry about gangs in Louisville AT ALL. Even the police will tell you there are few if any gangs with big time national ties. Any gangs we do have are trying to imitate gangs from S. California, which is the epicenter of dangerous gang activity. From the FBI:

http://www.fbi.gov/congress/congress05/swecker042005.htm (broken link)

Clearly, the most dangerous gangs originate in the SW US, usually with Latino origins. Read about the MS-13. Thankfully they haven't really made it out here much yet.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Just my 2 cents, but I live in Manhattan, and I never, ever even think about gangs. I never even see gangs. I think they tend to stay in their own neighborhoods and they are their own worst enemies. So, I am going to assume that if gang life does not affect me in NYC, then surely it won't be a problem in Lexington or Louisville.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I live in Manhattan, and I never, ever even think about gangs. I never even see gangs. I think they tend to stay in their own neighborhoods and they are their own worst enemies. So, I am going to assume that if gang life does not affect me in NYC, then surely it won't be a problem in Lexington or Louisville.
You are a wise person

Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM

76 posts, read 364,896 times
You are absolutely right gimme it. I live on Long Island and gang problems are horrible here. We just had a shooting go on because of gangs at my old high school. I have really never heard of gang problems in major cities. It always the smaller towns. People think of Long Island as this wonderful area and it so isn't. Trust me there are places in the Hamptons I would never want to live in as well. I can't wait to visit KY at the end of the month!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area