U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM

522 posts, read 1,391,212 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am considering a move to Louisville from se Florida. I am originally from St. Louis and while I really like it there, I don't want to go back to its harsh winters and hot, hot summers. (BTW, south Florida summers are not as bad as many think - there are plenty of hotter places, like Texas for example). I am more worried about the winters than the summers for I really hate cold weather.

I've been in south Florida for 5 years and have really had enough of it. It is very expensive to live here and the people are the rudest I've ever encountered - people honk their horns constantly and it's not at all uncommon to hear someone yelling at people in the service industry. I'm just not used to that sort of behavoir.

So, I was just wondering if anyone had lived in BOTH St. Louis and Louisville that could give me a comparison. I am also considering Charlotte NC but I don't know anyone there and I have family in Louisville. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Louisville and St Louis weather would be very similar. According to weather.com Charlotte would be 8 degrees warmer on average in the winter (Jan high of 51 vs 42) and barely cooler in the summer than STL or LOU

Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 966,928 times
Looks like you might as well come on up to Louisville, since the St Louis/Louisville weather systems are pretty much the same. At least you'll know what you're in for and you have family here!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Looks like you might as well come on up to Louisville, since the St Louis/Louisville weather systems are pretty much the same. At least you'll know what you're in for and you have family here!

Well, I didn't have arthritis when I lived in STL. I spoke to my cousin who lives in Louisville last nite and she told me Louisville doesn't get nearly as much snow as STL. Temperature wise she said it gets about as cold in the winter. On the plus side, I still have some great winter coats that I haven't worn in 5 years - ha! I probably WILL move there - you know, once a midwesterner always a midwesterner. I'ved lived in the northeast, southwest and southeast and I much prefer the PEOPLE in the midwest. The weather.......not so much. Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 966,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Well, I didn't have arthritis when I lived in STL. I spoke to my cousin who lives in Louisville last nite and she told me Louisville doesn't get nearly as much snow as STL. Temperature wise she said it gets about as cold in the winter. On the plus side, I still have some great winter coats that I haven't worn in 5 years - ha! I probably WILL move there - you know, once a midwesterner always a midwesterner. I'ved lived in the northeast, southwest and southeast and I much prefer the PEOPLE in the midwest. The weather.......not so much. Thanks for your reply.
Certainly know what you mean, on all points! For the most part, I kind of adhere to the saying, "Better the devil you know." because I generally do not like change.
Like once I find a particular anything that I like, I never feel compelled to try anything different. Creature of habit I guess. Although.....I did move overseas and found I quite like it, so there is an exception to every rule!

Sounds like you knew in the back of your head that you wouldn't be in FL forever (still have 5 winter coats!) I'm like that; I'm very, "but I might.....one day....what if...."

anyway, hope to "see" you in the Bluegrass. Let us all know where you decided to go

Cheers!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,553,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Certainly know what you mean, on all points! For the most part, I kind of adhere to the saying, "Better the devil you know." because I generally do not like change.
Like once I find a particular anything that I like, I never feel compelled to try anything different. Creature of habit I guess. Although.....I did move overseas and found I quite like it, so there is an exception to every rule!

Sounds like you knew in the back of your head that you wouldn't be in FL forever (still have 5 winter coats!) I'm like that; I'm very, "but I might.....one day....what if...."

anyway, hope to "see" you in the Bluegrass. Let us all know where you decided to go

Cheers!
Are we related? LOL

Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Are we related? LOL
I know what you mean! I am the same way!! LOL

Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 AM

767 posts, read 1,782,905 times
I lived in both STL and Lexington, KY. I seems like STL might get a litle more snow, but temps were very similar.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
I dusted off my thick " weather bible" and looked up historical data averaging over the last 40 years.

days with teps below 32----Louisville -88
---------------------------St Louis--98

days above 90------------Louisville-31
--------------------------St Louis-40

snowfall------------------Louisville-16.3
--------------------------St Louis-19.6

annual cooling degree units required--------Louisvill-1288
------------------------------------------St Louis-1534

anuual heating degree units required--------Louisville-4514
-------------------------------------------St Louis-4758

Average afternoon humidity for June, July, and August-----Louisville-57%,58%,58%
--------------------------------------------------------St Louis--57%.57%,58%

Old 09-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I dusted off my thick " weather bible" and looked up historical data averaging over the last 40 years.

days with teps below 32----Louisville -88
---------------------------St Louis--98

days above 90------------Louisville-31
--------------------------St Louis-40

snowfall------------------Louisville-16.3
--------------------------St Louis-19.6

annual cooling degree units required--------Louisvill-1288
------------------------------------------St Louis-1534

anuual heating degree units required--------Louisville-4514
-------------------------------------------St Louis-4758

Average afternoon humidity for June, July, and August-----Louisville-57%,58%,58%
--------------------------------------------------------St Louis--57%.57%,58%
Thanks for your research! Based on these stats it looks like the two cities are pretty similar - Louisville is a tad milder in both summer and winter, has a bit less snow and nearly identical humidity. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area