U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 10:35 AM

8 posts, read 22,028 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My wife and I have recently sold our home and are looking for a great neighborhood to relax and start a family. We are thinking about homes in the Crestwood, Ky area. We would like some opinions to see if we are picking the right area, or if we are overlooking another area that may be better suited for us. Here is what we are looking for:

1. 20-30 minute car commute to downtown Louisville (both work there)
2. Good public schools nearby (we are not very religious, do not want to enroll our future children into a catholic school, no offense to anyone!)
3. price range of 375 to 425 max.
4. Newer Homes and neighborhoods
5. Fairly close to shopping and restaurants (love the Summit area, which is why we are looking at Crestwood (I-71 exit 14 area)

With the above in mind, we really like Briar Hill Estates and Arbor Ridge. My wife prefers the Arbor Ridge area since it is so close to S. Oldham High School and right off of I-71. I am leaning towards Briar Hill because there is a common area for things like basketball, tennis, etc. They also have some lots of land available in case we want to attempt to build.

Opinions of these two neighborhoods? Any pros and cons? Other neighborhoods in our price range that we may be overlooking? Thank you for reading, and we appreciate any feedback.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Last edited by wildcatfan18; 09-08-2009 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: run-on sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:19 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,219,031 times
I think both of them are great and meet your criteria. Arbor Ridge slightly more than Briar Hill, but not so much so that I'd pass on a house I liked better.

I prefer houses with 5 acres and woods, and there are plenty of those in Oldham. But if you are raising kids, these are two good options.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Thank you for the feedback! We have also been looking for lots of land that are larger, but for multiple reasons, none of those seemed to work for us. More land is nice, especially with children, but it is also more land to maintain!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatfan18 View Post
Thank you for the feedback! We have also been looking for lots of land that are larger, but for multiple reasons, none of those seemed to work for us. More land is nice, especially with children, but it is also more land to maintain!
I live in Briar Hill. There are lots of good things to say about BH. BH is a multi-phase development with homes from 250's to nearly 800. Odd thing is the lower the price, typically the larger the lot. There are looming clouds that buyers need to be simply aware of. These clouds carry both refreshing "rain" and possibly some stormy weather. You must know prior to buying. Knowing will allow success, not knowing may mean the wrong property.

You criteria is pretty well matched anywhere in western Oldham and/or up the I-71 corridor to LaGrange.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for responding Tom. Briar Hill was a great place, however we happened to stumble upon an available lot left in Arbor Ridge, and it seemed like the best place for us. We are hoping to start building this November before the colder nasty weather really starts. It will be close!

These boards were helpful for us in choosing a place to live. We simply love the feel of Oldham County, and it is close enough to downtown for us that commuting to work every day is not too much of a hassle.

Good luck to everyone else when choosing a home here in Louisville or surrounding areas, this is a beautiful area of the country to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area