U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,222,930 times

Advertisements

Norton Commons is a good suggestion.

As to driving to Cincinnati to shop, that seems a little crazy to me. An hour and a half drive just to shop? I guess if you already consider that a reasonable distance, it won't bother you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM

2,053 posts, read 5,884,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Norton Commons is a good suggestion.

As to driving to Cincinnati to shop, that seems a little crazy to me. An hour and a half drive just to shop? I guess if you already consider that a reasonable distance, it won't bother you.
Yeah, I bet within 6 months, they wouldn't even consider driving that far just to shop other than a special trip every few months. People from big cities are used to 1 hr drives here, there... Once they move to smaller metro where everything is within 15-20min, it starts to seem absurd to drive 1 hr for dinner, shopping. I never understand why people move from NYC, Chicago... to a smaller city and are content with a 45min + commute. IMO, if you move to a smaller city, take advantage of the fact that you can live closer to work. That is one of the biggest advantages of a smaller metro. 1.5 hrs + in a car everyday is a version of my own personal hell.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM

6,299 posts, read 13,194,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centereach View Post
Thanks for the responses. We will defnitely take the advice when we start our search. We were looking at stores we currently shop at and none seem to be in Louisville. Closest big city with the similar stores is Cincinnati. Is that a reasonable drive from the locations suggested? Today we go to Manhattan often and the drive is about 1:15 min to 1:30.

Also, in terms of climate, it seems from the people that I know who work in Louisville, it never snows and when it does the city is shut down. Does that mean I will not need my snow blower anymore?

In terms of lawn care, we use a service here, are there similar weekly lawn care companies there?
I am not aware of too many national chains that are not in Louisville but located in Cincinnati. Likewise, I wouldn't call Cincinnati a "big city" compared to Louisville, although it is a good clip bigger, mainly in metro area. Louisville is a vehemently buy local city, and many of the goods found at national retailers in Cincinnati can be found at locally owned Louisville stores. The Saks in Cincinnati, for example, carries little more than can be found at some of Louisville's upscale boutiques like Rodes. Alas, it is no Manhattan Saks.

That said, in the past 2 years, Cincinnati has landed several national retailers not located in Louisville. Nordstrom and Ikea just opened this year, and Trader Joe's is always nice. I'd expect Trader Joe's and Nordstrom to enter the Louisville market very soon as soon as the retail economy improves. Trader Joe's had plans for 3 area stores that had been delayed, and Nordstrom backed out of a lease at MSM in 2005.

When it comes to restaurants, do not fret. Louisville is a top 20 restaurant city in the US IMO, and I am very well traveled. If Louisville lacks a national restaurant chain, it is probably because a locally owned guy does the food better.

That said, should you need a trip out of town, Louisville's northeast suburbs are less than 90 minutes to almost any part of Cincinnati. Also, given your history, I strongly suggest you also look closer into the city, particulary in the St Matthews and Crescent Hill areas, along with the Highlands.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,881,051 times
Quote:
It's reasonable for a day trip to go shopping and other things. Thats one reason IKEA located in Cincy. The local market (Cincy + Dayton) is over 2M, and there are other metro areas within a fairly quick drive: Indy, Louisville, Lexington, and Columbus.

I don't know what stores the thread parent is thinking about, but for NYC-oriented luxury retail there is Saks Fifth Avenue, Tiffany, and Brook Brothers. Generally speaking retail isn't that different than Louisville except for some speciality things (like bookstores and delicatessens and such).

Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,881,051 times
Yeah, they have a Trader Joes in Dayton, too. But we also have a good local grocery in Dorothy Lane Market, and there is Jungle Jims between Dayton and Cincinnati, and Findlay Market. So some pretty good foody options in SW Ohio, if one likes to cook as a hobby.

Jungle Jims and Findlay Market would be worth a stop on a shopping day-trip to Cincy

Old 09-30-2009, 07:38 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,399,360 times
Isn't Whole Foods just as good or better than Trader Joes? I love the Whole Foods store in Lexington.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 PM

11,449 posts, read 13,925,295 times
Quote:
Need some suggestions on where to live.

Looking to spend between $300 to $450K. I will be working in the 40299 area code but don't mind driving as long as it is under 45 minutes to work. We have no kids and are used to the amenities in Long Island and are looking for something similar.
Glad to hear that someone from New York is moving to Louisville. This place needs more from New York!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM

15 posts, read 53,101 times
Saks is definitely one of the stores we visit often, they are on long island and of course in NYC. I did notice there are no Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Crate and Barrel, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Restoration Hardware, Burberry stores in Louisville. Since it looks like Cinci has them, an occaisional drive to there would not be too bad as we do not go there often. We will miss living so close to an outlet mall, in fact we have 2 within a 30 minute drive today.

Trader Joe's is great but if there is a whole foods that would be similar but a bit more expensive.

One thing I do not see local are international foods like Chinese grocery stores or Suhi places. We are spoiled today with really good Sushi places and dim sum serving chinese restaurants. Is there anything like that in Louisville?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:49 PM

6,299 posts, read 13,194,213 times
Quote:
Saks is definitely one of the stores we visit often, they are on long island and of course in NYC. I did notice there are no Tiffany's, Louis Vuitton, Crate and Barrel, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Restoration Hardware, Burberry stores in Louisville. Since it looks like Cinci has them, an occaisional drive to there would not be too bad as we do not go there often. We will miss living so close to an outlet mall, in fact we have 2 within a 30 minute drive today.

Trader Joe's is great but if there is a whole foods that would be similar but a bit more expensive.

One thing I do not see local are international foods like Chinese grocery stores or Suhi places. We are spoiled today with really good Sushi places and dim sum serving chinese restaurants. Is there anything like that in Louisville?

There is plenty of sushi and dim sum places, but not like NYC obviously. You really need to get on Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com and join the forum. Ask them questions over there about the foodie lifestyle in Louisville. Louisville has several small and a few midsized asian supermarkets all over the metro area, you just have to know where to look. The above forum mentioned will be much much more helpful than here. I assure you that Louisville is a top 20 foodie city if you know where to look. For someone from NYC, its main weakness is unfortunately NYC stlye deli's and bagel shops, of which there is nothing great in that department.

Also, you are unfortunately mistaken if you think you will find Neiman Marcus or Bloomie's or Burberry in Cincy. As stated, you will quickly find that the shopping in Cincy is not not too much better than Louisville. The Saks in Cincy is absultely nothing like any Saks I have seen in metro NYC, and has a very limited selection. The Saks in downtown Cincinnati does not have too much of a better selection of Burberry than what can be found in Louisville boutiques. If you really want this high end stuff, you are better off ordering online or traveling to Chicago or NYC to shop.

Remember that many Louisville stores you have never head of will have limited selections of brands like Armani and Burberry. Rodes and Von Maur are two places for this. Also, there are many high end boutiques spread throughout the city, catering mainly to women, with some nice fashions. You will really have to meet some local women and search ads to figure out what and where these are.

As stated, Louisville is not a "name brand" city, and neither is its retail. If you get stuck only visiting the average chains in the suburbs, you will find nothing unique about the city, probably only thinking it is a bland toned down version of the suburb you are from. However, if you get out and explore the whole metro, including southern indiana, you will be very surprised at what you find. Small ethnic enclaves and associated restaurants no one has heard of at work, neat historic neighborhoods, boutiques, and a very independent, indie type local spirit with a bit of a big city but still very small town flair.

Jeffrey does make good points about Jungle Jim's and Trader Joe's both of which could be worth a day trip to Cincy. Also, the Crate and Barrel and Nordstrom in Cincy are brand new and pretty comprable to most of the national stores in those chains. For those four stores, a day trip every few months may be worthwhile, but other than that, I do not think so.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

15 posts, read 53,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
There is plenty of sushi and dim sum places, but not like NYC obviously. You really need to get on Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com and join the forum. Ask them questions over there about the foodie lifestyle in Louisville. Louisville has several small and a few midsized asian supermarkets all over the metro area, you just have to know where to look. The above forum mentioned will be much much more helpful than here. I assure you that Louisville is a top 20 foodie city if you know where to look. For someone from NYC, its main weakness is unfortunately NYC stlye deli's and bagel shops, of which there is nothing great in that department.

Also, you are unfortunately mistaken if you think you will find Neiman Marcus or Bloomie's or Burberry in Cincy. As stated, you will quickly find that the shopping in Cincy is not not too much better than Louisville. The Saks in Cincy is absultely nothing like any Saks I have seen in metro NYC, and has a very limited selection. The Saks in downtown Cincinnati does not have too much of a better selection of Burberry than what can be found in Louisville boutiques. If you really want this high end stuff, you are better off ordering online or traveling to Chicago or NYC to shop.

Remember that many Louisville stores you have never head of will have limited selections of brands like Armani and Burberry. Rodes and Von Maur are two places for this. Also, there are many high end boutiques spread throughout the city, catering mainly to women, with some nice fashions. You will really have to meet some local women and search ads to figure out what and where these are.

As stated, Louisville is not a "name brand" city, and neither is its retail. If you get stuck only visiting the average chains in the suburbs, you will find nothing unique about the city, probably only thinking it is a bland toned down version of the suburb you are from. However, if you get out and explore the whole metro, including southern indiana, you will be very surprised at what you find. Small ethnic enclaves and associated restaurants no one has heard of at work, neat historic neighborhoods, boutiques, and a very independent, indie type local spirit with a bit of a big city but still very small town flair.

Jeffrey does make good points about Jungle Jim's and Trader Joe's both of which could be worth a day trip to Cincy. Also, the Crate and Barrel and Nordstrom in Cincy are brand new and pretty comprable to most of the national stores in those chains. For those four stores, a day trip every few months may be worthwhile, but other than that, I do not think so.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely look at the other food link.
I am still doing my research and cincy seemed like the closest big town. I have been to Chicago before and the shopping is comparable to NYC there so I guess that would be the closest thing to NYC. How does Nashville shopping compare? I ask alot about shopping because our friends and family(Canada) visits always entail some form of outlet shopping as most US shopping is better than anything in Canada.

Any particular Sushi restaurant you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area