Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,970,486 times

Advertisements

oh a couple more questions
1. are the leaves changing colors yet?
2. how do a lot of the local women in their 20s dress? usually when i travel i try to dress nice because i find people treat me better when i am not wearing jeans and sweatshirts (i am 24 and look like a teenager or college student when i am not dressed professionally).
3. what time does it start to get dark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM

209 posts, read 735,413 times
Walkable lunches from the Brown:

Right in the Brown, and cheaper than the English Grill is J. Graham's Cafe. A Louisville dish you can get all over town is the Hot Brown. It originated right there at the Brown about 70 years ago. You'll be sure to get the real thing. http://www.brownhotel.com/dining/documents/JGsLunchMenu8-07-08.pdf (broken link)

On Market, about 6 or 7 blocks from the Brown, 310 Bistro: http://www.bistro301.com/pdf/Bistro301_Lunch_2008.pdf

In NuLu... the Mayan Cafe: The Mayan Café

On Main, The Bristol: http://www.bristolbarandgrille.com/pdf/Downtown-Lunch.PDF (broken link)

Proof on Main (in 21C Hotel): http://www.proofonmain.com/assets/documents/proof/menus/current-lunch.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 282,207 times
Ryan 2099 and louroclou have done ya right. I second everything they've mentioned. They really didn't leave me much to say, but I'll just add...
The Derby Museum was heavily damaged during our recent flooding, and it's closed. They're still doing the backside tours, and that's great fun, but you won't get inside the Museum.
Please be sure to do the walk along West Main. As you do, check out the cast iron tree guards in front of the buildings. They were designed by local artists to signify two things. First, that the building is a 'cast iron', and second, they indicate what type of business was originally in the building.

http://www.thebourbontriangle.com/mainstreet_treeguards.jpg (broken link)

When you visit 21C, be sure to check out the ladies restroom, it's a real hoot (so is the men's...). The Wind In Your Hair (the vintage motorcycles) exhibit louroclou mentioned at the MofAC ended around the first of the month, but you should still check out the museum. Really, all the galleries on Main and Market aren't to be missed! (If you like sweet stuff, be sure to try Cake Flour, and if you have the time, don't miss Joe Ley's.) The TrolleyHop website has a pretty decent rundown here:
First Friday Trolley Hop
louroclou mentioned The Louisville Slugger Museum, and I agree. Even if you don't do the Museum, everyone loves the big bat. They're celebrating their 125th birthday! You can do Glassworks and the Slugger Museum at the same time, they're really close. But, you'll also be really close to our other 'big bat'...
Caufield's is at the corner of 10th & West Main, just a little jag west from Glassworks. If you haven't decided on your Halloween costume yet, this is the place.

http://www.thebourbontriangle.com/big_bat.jpg (broken link)

http://www.caufields.com/about-us.aspx

We could keep you going in Louisville for the whole four days, but since you mentioned Bernheim, be sure to do the 'Canopy Walk'. Hopefully, there'll be some color. Isaac Wolfe Bernheim and his wife are buried near the entrance of the forest, and there's a beautiful memorial. Since louroclou mentioned the Bourbon Trail...Bernheim made his money in Bourbon with the I.W. Harper brand (here's a little tidbit for Missy...he bought the distillery in PRP in the late 1800's). And since you might not have time to follow the entire Bourbon Trail, you could pop across the street from the forest and visit the Jim Beam Distillery. If that's not enough for ya, you can take Hwy. 245 (a breathtakingly beautiful drive this time of year) about 14/15 miles to Bardstown, and noodle around there for an hour or two.
Once you're ready to head back, you can take Hwy 31E./150 back to Louisville. It's another beautiful drive this time of year. And if you like BBQ, you'll be passing Bootleg BBQ as you come into Louisville. Just a little shack but, IMHO, Bootleg is some of the best BBQ Louisville has to offer.
And lastly, since you'll be at the Brown, you'll be close enough to check this out one evening. Last week's paper mentioned something I plan to see before it's gone (end of October). It's a computer-generated dog named "Sniff" that's displayed after dark in one of the windows at 804 E. Market. He was done by a lady name Karolina Sobecka, and he just sounds so cool. He interacts with viewers. He sees slow movements as friendly, large actions as threatening, and sort of learns over time to form a relationship. He's based on some kind of video tracking system, and I just gotta see that.
I just looked back over this post, and for someone without much to say, I sure did alot of typing... Hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited by DerbyCityDiva; 10-11-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 07:45 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,773,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
oh a couple more questions
1. are the leaves changing colors yet?
Yes, but just.

Quote:
2. how do a lot of the local women in their 20s dress? usually when i travel i try to dress nice because i find people treat me better when i am not wearing jeans and sweatshirts (i am 24 and look like a teenager or college student when i am not dressed professionally).
Jeans are universal. A nice blouse or sweater will do just fine.

Quote:
3. what time does it start to get dark?
Right now, just about after 7 PM or so. But aren't we about to "fall back" an hour?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:32 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
Quote:
oh! i thought it was in a suburb of louisville. is it worth making a special trip for? i saw it in the aaa book. seemed interesting. thanks!
I went with my daughter once on a field trip. I wasn't too impressed but that's just me, you might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area