Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

can someone add things to my list and/or share any thoughts? thanks

staying at the brown for 4 nights, and will have a rental car.

downtown louisville ghost tour
farmers market at mellwood
glassworks
frazier museum
cave hill cemetery
callaway archaeological museum
thomas edison house
walk around old louisville
4th street live
bernheim aboretum and research forest
huber's orchard and winery
mammoth cave
national underground railroad museum
hike at cherokee park
kentucky derbey museum
baxter avenue theater

food-
pizza @ wick's
breakfast buffet, mint julep, and hot brown @ the brown
jack fry's (only if i meet a rich guy who wants to take me out to eat.... kidding)
toast
lynn's paradise cafe
molly malone's
irish rover

if i just want coffee-
highland coffee company
sunergos coffee

bars (not really into bars or clubs though)-
rudeyard kipling bar
bluegrass brewing company bar (across the street from the brown)
Old Seelbach Bar

Last edited by Naomi Manischewitz; 10-10-2009 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:48 AM

41 posts, read 133,070 times
That is a pretty good list you have came up with so far, the few things I know your missing:

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. In October the theme park takes on a "Halloweenesque" party atmosphere. Fun time for the kids, you see the biggest difference after dark, and 6 Flags is only open during the weekends this time of the year.

Louisville Zoo. Much like Six Flags, the Louisville Zoo does the same thing. Also have trick or treating for the kids around the zoo grounds. Not sure if it is a weekend thing only or if it's opened through the week.

Muhammad Ali Museum. Located downtown. Not much I can say about this place but "WOW". They did a good job of honoring the "The Greatest" when they built this.

Louisville Slugger museum. Also located downtown. Pretty nice place to visit.

Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Located out in the south-end. They used to do walk through tours but don't know about now. Should do your research and find out. Google Waverly Hills if you don't know what it is.

Waterfront park. Located downtown. Not many sports going on in October down there but a nice,peaceful place to visit. There was a robbing/shooting there a couple of months ago so be careful.

Food/restaurant wise your pretty good on.

Coffee wise, I dont know. Usually hit up Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts

Bar wise, walk up and down Baxter Avenue/Bardstown Road. Tons of bars, been to most of them myself. Good times. Be sure to check out Phoenix Hill Tavern. Huge bar that sits at the corner of Baxter Avenue and across from the cemetery.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
The underground railroad museum is in Cincinatti not Louisville just so you know The zoo Halloween party info : louisvillezoo.org

Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 AM

209 posts, read 738,960 times
... and Mammoth Cave is a hundred miles away.

The Zoo is first rate.

I would walk Main Street. You have to include the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, which is superb. The current exhibit of vintage motorcycles is a revelation. You MUST go to 21C Museum Hotel. The lobby and lower gallery areas are state-of-the-art edgy and put Louisville in world class (21C is on many lists as one of the most innovative hotels in the world). Check out the construction of our new arena (well, if you're on Main, you can't avoid it!). Wander the Belvedere and Waterfront Park. At Main and 2nd, where the bridge and construction are, you'll find a stretch of beautiful iron-front architecture that is being restored and reimagined. That shot - the bridge and those iron-front buildings - appear at the opening of the great Bill Murray movie Stripes.

Further down you'll find some interesting condo architecture and the delightful old-school Slugger Field.

Jumping over to Main Street, one block south, you'll find NuLu... art galleries, the Green Building, hip little shops like Scout and Red Tree. This area a year or two from now will be the coolest spot in town. It's already fun. Some great restaurants there: 732 Social (perhaps the best, hippest restaurant in town. John Malkovich, who is in town shooting a film about Secretariat, has eaten there twice, and it's one of his favorite places to eat). There's also White Oak, and the excellent Mayan Cafe.

I'd also walk Bardstown Road - great restaurants - Seviche (recently named one of the top 10 Latin American restaurants in the country!), Lilly's, Ramsi's, Cafe Mimosa, La Bodega... well, I can't list them all. Louisville was named the fifth 'foodiest' small city in the US by Bon Appetit magazine. Bardstown Road has hip shops, galleries, boutiques, and one of the best record shops in the country, Ear X-tacy. Louisville's music scene, especially indie music, is legendary.

On a slightly smaller scale, Frankfort Ave, is full of great ethnic restaurants, galleries, and bookstores (Charmichael's was named the best independent bookseller in the country by Publishers Weekly). Louisville is big on its independent business. Our 'Keep Louisville Weird' and Buy Local First campaigns are taken to heart. Do NOT waste your money on Starbucks. Hipsters here never go there. Louisville is a mini-Seattle when it comes to coffee. Check out Red Hot Roasters in a tiny outbuilding at the corner of Payne and Lexington. Go to Heine Bros (they're local, independent, and excellent, and there are more of them than Starbucks), Sunergos, Java, Highland...

When you go to Old Louisville, go to St. James Court and Belgravia Court (they're connected): the architectural heart and soul of OL.

Drive all our Olmstead Parks: Cherokee, Iroquois, Shawnee, Seneca... we are a City of Parks, a city of bike trails.

Our Speed Museum, on the campus of the University of Louisville, is expanding and starting exciting new things.

... and if you do take a day trip, make it the The Official Site of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail

...Bourbon Trail, Kentucky Drive -- National Geographic

Enjoy!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:23 AM

... still thinking... If you're staying at the Brown, check out Theater Square Marketplace, right next door. It was just completed. I haven't been there, but it's supposed to be cool. About a block from the Brown is the Louisville Palace, an old, beautifully restored movie house from the golden era. Check out the virtual tour under Galleries on this web page: Welcome to THE LOUISVILLE PALACE THEATRE

If you go to the Seelbach, you have to go down in the basement to the Rathskeller: The Seelbach Hotel, Louisville, Kentucky, June 6th and 7th, 2009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/katz_42/3605496437/ - broken link)

The Seelbach has history. You may know that it figures in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The Oak Room restaurant there is Old World meets Southern Elegance. The previous chef, Todd Richards, was on Iron Chef America.

Speaking of our chefs, Edward Lee, the chef at 610 Magnolia, has a huge 14-page spread in the latest - and, alas, last - Gourmet magazine. He also just opened a great little gourmet fast food place called Potstickers on Bardstown Road.

Of course, you would not go wrong eating right there at the English Grill in the Brown. Or, when you're down on Main at 21C, eat at Proof. Anthony Bourdain was just in town and had a bison burger there and loved it.

Oh, and Lynn, at Lynn's Paradise, won a throw-down against Bobby Flay with her bourbon ball pancakes. If you want to have fun, funky, goofy time and get absolutely stuffed, go to Lynn's. Bobby Flay, by the way, loves Louisville.

I'm getting hungry.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2099 View Post
That is a pretty good list you have came up with so far, the few things I know your missing:

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom. In October the theme park takes on a "Halloweenesque" party atmosphere. Fun time for the kids, you see the biggest difference after dark, and 6 Flags is only open during the weekends this time of the year.

Louisville Zoo. Much like Six Flags, the Louisville Zoo does the same thing. Also have trick or treating for the kids around the zoo grounds. Not sure if it is a weekend thing only or if it's opened through the week.

Muhammad Ali Museum. Located downtown. Not much I can say about this place but "WOW". They did a good job of honoring the "The Greatest" when they built this.

Louisville Slugger museum. Also located downtown. Pretty nice place to visit.

Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Located out in the south-end. They used to do walk through tours but don't know about now. Should do your research and find out. Google Waverly Hills if you don't know what it is.

Waterfront park. Located downtown. Not many sports going on in October down there but a nice,peaceful place to visit. There was a robbing/shooting there a couple of months ago so be careful.

Food/restaurant wise your pretty good on.

Coffee wise, I dont know. Usually hit up Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts

Bar wise, walk up and down Baxter Avenue/Bardstown Road. Tons of bars, been to most of them myself. Good times. Be sure to check out Phoenix Hill Tavern. Huge bar that sits at the corner of Baxter Avenue and across from the cemetery.
6 flags-im going alone so i dont really want to go to 6 flags by myself lol. also, we have one here.
zoo- i am not a zoo person, but if i have nothing else to do, i will probably go.

slugger museum, ali museum- honestly, i would last a few minutes in each of these places. i went to the baseball hall of fame in new york and was bored out of my mind.

sanatorium, waterfront park, and phoenix hill tavern will check out though! thanks!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The underground railroad museum is in Cincinatti not Louisville just so you know The zoo Halloween party info : louisvillezoo.org

oh! i thought it was in a suburb of louisville. is it worth making a special trip for? i saw it in the aaa book. seemed interesting. thanks!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM

yeah i should have deleted mammoth cave. i found out right after i posted this that it isnt particularly close to louisville.

had i waited on hotwire, i could have stayed i 21c for less than i am staying at the brown (i use betterbidding so i always know the odds of me staying where GREAT WEBSITE!!). i definitely will check it out. im pretty happy to be at the brown though because its historical and i like bigger hotels where i can be ambiguous lol.

i saw online all these vintage 2nd hand clothing stores which i love. im trying to avoid shopping though lol. i might give it though

are the restaurants you listed budget friendly? id like to save around if possible, but i dont want to forgo really not to be missed things ya know? i would like to spend under 50 a day on food (much like rachel ray lol) including tax and tip. im not a huge drinker,meat eater, or dessert at every meal fan so i have that going for me. i was impressed online with how louisville ranked really high for restaurants.

bourbon trail looks interesting. maybe i will do that. i think you guys encouraged me now to go to the zoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
... and Mammoth Cave is a hundred miles away.

The Zoo is first rate.

I would walk Main Street. You have to include the Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, which is superb. The current exhibit of vintage motorcycles is a revelation. You MUST go to 21C Museum Hotel. The lobby and lower gallery areas are state-of-the-art edgy and put Louisville in world class (21C is on many lists as one of the most innovative hotels in the world). Check out the construction of our new arena (well, if you're on Main, you can't avoid it!). Wander the Belvedere and Waterfront Park. At Main and 2nd, where the bridge and construction are, you'll find a stretch of beautiful iron-front architecture that is being restored and reimagined. That shot - the bridge and those iron-front buildings - appear at the opening of the great Bill Murray movie Stripes.

Further down you'll find some interesting condo architecture and the delightful old-school Slugger Field.

Jumping over to Main Street, one block south, you'll find NuLu... art galleries, the Green Building, hip little shops like Scout and Red Tree. This area a year or two from now will be the coolest spot in town. It's already fun. Some great restaurants there: 732 Social (perhaps the best, hippest restaurant in town. John Malkovich, who is in town shooting a film about Secretariat, has eaten there twice, and it's one of his favorite places to eat). There's also White Oak, and the excellent Mayan Cafe.

I'd also walk Bardstown Road - great restaurants - Seviche (recently named one of the top 10 Latin American restaurants in the country!), Lilly's, Ramsi's, Cafe Mimosa, La Bodega... well, I can't list them all. Louisville was named the fifth 'foodiest' small city in the US by Bon Appetit magazine. Bardstown Road has hip shops, galleries, boutiques, and one of the best record shops in the country, Ear X-tacy. Louisville's music scene, especially indie music, is legendary.

On a slightly smaller scale, Frankfort Ave, is full of great ethnic restaurants, galleries, and bookstores (Charmichael's was named the best independent bookseller in the country by Publishers Weekly). Louisville is big on its independent business. Our 'Keep Louisville Weird' and Buy Local First campaigns are taken to heart. Do NOT waste your money on Starbucks. Hipsters here never go there. Louisville is a mini-Seattle when it comes to coffee. Check out Red Hot Roasters in a tiny outbuilding at the corner of Payne and Lexington. Go to Heine Bros (they're local, independent, and excellent, and there are more of them than Starbucks), Sunergos, Java, Highland...

When you go to Old Louisville, go to St. James Court and Belgravia Court (they're connected): the architectural heart and soul of OL.

Drive all our Olmstead Parks: Cherokee, Iroquois, Shawnee, Seneca... we are a City of Parks, a city of bike trails.

Our Speed Museum, on the campus of the University of Louisville, is expanding and starting exciting new things.

... and if you do take a day trip, make it the The Official Site of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail

...Bourbon Trail, Kentucky Drive -- National Geographic

Enjoy!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 AM

oh thanks for telling me what is walking distance to the brown. i arrive tuesday in the late afternoon and wont be getting my rental car until wednesday morning. what would be some things to do walking distance from the brown? i know bluegrass brewing bar is walking distance, 4th street (i think?), and now theater square marketplace. i know the museums and stuff will be closed so i will save them for another day.

i definitely want to go to the seelbach! i heard that the great gatsby was based on that hotel. i will for sure have a drink at the bar and check it out.

thanks for the recommendation at lynn's. i write and read reviews on yelp like crazy and that seemed to be a pretty popular place. a few people did say it wasnt worth waiting 45 minutes for, but i will give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
... still thinking... If you're staying at the Brown, check out Theater Square Marketplace, right next door. It was just completed. I haven't been there, but it's supposed to be cool. About a block from the Brown is the Louisville Palace, an old, beautifully restored movie house from the golden era. Check out the virtual tour under Galleries on this web page: Welcome to THE LOUISVILLE PALACE THEATRE

If you go to the Seelbach, you have to go down in the basement to the Rathskeller: The Seelbach Hotel, Louisville, Kentucky, June 6th and 7th, 2009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/katz_42/3605496437/ - broken link)

The Seelbach has history. You may know that it figures in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. The Oak Room restaurant there is Old World meets Southern Elegance. The previous chef, Todd Richards, was on Iron Chef America.

Speaking of our chefs, Edward Lee, the chef at 610 Magnolia, has a huge 14-page spread in the latest - and, alas, last - Gourmet magazine. He also just opened a great little gourmet fast food place called Potstickers on Bardstown Road.

Of course, you would not go wrong eating right there at the English Grill in the Brown. Or, when you're down on Main at 21C, eat at Proof. Anthony Bourdain was just in town and had a bison burger there and loved it.

Oh, and Lynn, at Lynn's Paradise, won a throw-down against Bobby Flay with her bourbon ball pancakes. If you want to have fun, funky, goofy time and get absolutely stuffed, go to Lynn's. Bobby Flay, by the way, loves Louisville.

I'm getting hungry.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Some of the places I mentioned - 610, Proof, Oak Room, English Grill, Social are expensive. What we like to do when traveling and not wanting to spend a great deal is eat at really nice places for lunch. It's always cheaper... then do ethnic for dinner.
Here's a useful guide - with a lot of websites and menus: LouisvilleDiner: Louisville's Restaurant Menu Source

The Brown is at 4th and Broadway, so you're not far from 4th Street Live, though you'll have to walk through about a block that is, uh, less than impressive. Not dangerous, just unattractive. Raw is in that stretch, though: fine sushi bar.

A walk from the Brown north on 4th to Main is about 6 blocks. You'll pass the visitors' center on the way. It's useful. Walking from the Brown to NuLu is possible... it's a mile and a half, in and out of interesting and dull along the way. Oh, there's some interesting big architecture down around there - the Aegon Building, Michael Graves' post-modern Humana Building, the Kentucky Center for the Arts. The last two are on Main, Aegon on Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area