U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,197,703 times

Advertisements

hah hah at the last 2 posts. what is up with people at night screaming at you as you walk and honking? it was funny, i just didnt expect it hah.
im working on the remaining 2 entries. i have so much to do today though so it isn't that high on my list. i need to shower, clean, read for a test tomorrow for an awful class, check the syllabi to make sure i dont have anything due, do laundry, and see a friend whose birthday i missed yesterday.

anyway back to louisville. i really liked the city. the only cons i found with it was the weather. i was raised in socal and only did a short stint in tempe arizona. i was FREEZING during my 5 days, 4 nights! i was waiting to hear a local complain about the weather, but didnt meet one who did! the other con (but i guess they could be wrong), was that 3 people told me there is no market for special ed teachers or school, college, and career counselors. at a museum i went to, i met 2 teachers who were from elizabethtown and said that to me. i then met a security guard at the cave hill cemetery (a californian!) and he said the same thing. he said i need to first get a "regular" job there to even become a special ed teacher saying i work in a store or restaurant. i guess i could sub and hope i get a job through that. i just dont like the idea of moving somewhere where it will take time to go from an hourly job to a set salary and benefits one. only other con i could think of is that like what this bizarre (!!!) californian told me is that aside from the highlands and germantown, if i lived there, i wouldnt really leave that part of louisville and downtown (wouldnt live in downtown anywhere, but there was a lot to do there). everything i would want to see and do if i lived in town would be there. when i am not traveling, aside from working and being a grad student, i really like to just stay at home minding my own business, see a movie, go out to eat, go to a coffee shop, meeting a friend for a drink, and go shopping.

louisville pros- i can buy a house there easily. looked at real estate online. i want a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom with a yard. looked online in germantown and the highlands and i could get a house like that for 112-150k. i like the physical layout of the city, and the population is just right for me. i like cities, but not huge cities that are really, really dense. the people i met were friendly, and it really did seem like a mix of people who lived there. lots of restaurants, bars, and pubs. i found there was something for everyone there. i was impressed with how there was a big theater movement in louisville. i really support regional theater. we have a lot of regional theaters here in la in topanga and north hollywood. i liked how the air felt clean and that there are huge trees and lots of greenery everywhere. ive never been to the midwest, but this is how i think it would look lol.

anyway, if the job market all of a sudden did increase in my field, i would automatically move louisville to my #1 relocation spot. right now it is still tied with austin. the highlands had a very similar vibe to austin, but seemed a lot less pretentious and smaller which was nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:14 AM

last 2 entries-
10/16/09
I am going to try to remember all the details for my last 1.5 days in town. Started my day by going to Highland Coffee Company getting a coffee and a pumpkin bran muffin. This place is how coffee shops should be. Friendly workers, nice atmosphere, plenty of seating, affordable prices, and lots of outlets for laptops.

This time I went to Cave Hill with my car! At first I drove by Col. Sanders, but then I found him. When I was there, a truck stopped and it was one of the workers. I had a 20-minute conversation with him. It turns out he is from Lake Arrowhead which is like 90 minutes from me. He told me about the cemetery and places to live in Louisville. Apparently when I was there previously, him and another worker were looking for me to tell me that the place was going to close soon for the evening. They recognized me by my hair.

Spoke to another worker who told me how he had one of the oldest German bibles found in the U.S. I don’t know how this got brought up. I like the characters I have met in the south from all different states.

Found Harry the Magician. Seems like an interesting guy. Couldn’t find Patty Hill for the life of me. She is the teacher that wrote Happy Birthday.

I decided afterwards to drive to St. Matthews. I don’t know why the Enterprise guy recommended it. It seemed very suburban to me. I did pass the Jewish Community Center. I should have gone in but I didn’t. The area seems like a place my mother would like. Large houses, pretty, and seemed like a safe area with middle age and older people.

I went to some place called Cake, Pie, and Ice cream or whatever in St. Matthews. I sampled the pumpkin ice cream. I typically do not like pumpkin flavored things (yes I know about the muffin heh heh), so I didn’t have more than a sample of it. Ordered the vegetarian salad to go. The teenager making it didn’t know how to make it, so his friend on break told him how to do it. When I paid, the teenager said this was the first salad he had made since he started. I stole his salad making virginity. He will never get that back. We had a great 5 minutes.

Took my food to go and decided to go to Cherokee Park thinking I would go to a table and eat my food outside. It was dizzyingly and cold so I did a pseudo picnic. I pulled over to the side of the road in the park and ate my lunch in the car overlooking a picnic table. Hopefully next time in town I will actually have the guts to eat outside actually.

Oh yeah. Before this I drove to two different Walmarts to try to get souvenirs for people. I found that Walmart and drugstores are the best places to buy magnets, shirts, and keychains. Neither had anything for me so it was a waste of time.

Drove back to the hotel and rested for a little bit before the ghost tour. Before the ghost tour I went to Borders where the tour was to start. I got a cup of coffee there and the barista told me that he recommended I go to a bar on Baxter called Outliner, Outliar, or something like that. To this day, I have no idea of the actual name of the place. I couldn’t understand his accent. I did find a bar on google called the Outlaw. Unsure if that’s the one.

The ghost tour was good but I was disappointed at how Otto’s Bar was closed and how the size of the group was just really big.

After the tour, I went back to the room quickly and got in my car to meet someone from City Data at La Que late at night.

Food was good there and had a great night with him. I then finally went to a Highlands bar. We went to Cumberland Brews and I had a light beer. I felt like an idiot because I forgot they only sell local brews. It was a good drink and we were the last ones to leave the place.

Went to the hotel and packed because I had to be up early to return the car, and to check out.

10/17/09
I hardly got any sleep last night. Returned the car and it took me forever to get to Enterprise because of this walkathon that closed up many streets. I then joined City Data guy for coffee at Heine Brothers which was pretty good. Still prefer Highland Coffee though.

Drove around with him seeing a skatepark, low-income housing, and the nice houses again. Later went to the airport. I noticed that at this airport they tend to just have one really long security line. It looks like it will take longer than it actually does.

Got a really cute bag on sale at the airport for just $15! I was impressed. Had I had room, I would have bought some for gifts for people. I never ended up getting things for people. I ALWAYS buy a state magnet for myself before I leave an area, but I forgot to.

Anyway, I still have unfinished business in town. I want to go to Waverly Hills, check out Lexington, pick fruit, go to the Thomas Edison House, have a Hot Brown (yes I never actually got one), dress up and go to Otto’s Bar at the Seelbach, go to some more bars, and actually speak to local school districts.

I would definitely book my stay through Hotwire again. The expensive hotels on there seem to alternative between the 21C and the Brown. 21C seems really cool and cosmopolitan, but I just really found the Brown very classy. Now the Seelbach would be great, but I don’t think Hotwire typically uses it.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 AM

209 posts, read 632,443 times
Have you seen that Travel Magazine named 21C the best hotel in the country? http://www.consuminglouisville.com/2...otel-in-th.php

By the way... sorry about the weather. What you got was very uncharacteristic. We're going to 70 and sunny today. 70 is about the average high for October. We've had oddly cool, wet weather for about six months now, but most years it's nice and mild in September and October (and April and May), moderately cold in Dec, Jan, Feb (I lived in Rochester NY, so winter seems pretty wussy to me), and hot as hell in July and August.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
Have you seen that Travel Magazine named 21C the best hotel in the country? 21c Museum Hotel: #1 hotel in the United States, #6 hotel in the world - Consuming Louisville

By the way... sorry about the weather. What you got was very uncharacteristic. We're going to 70 and sunny today. 70 is about the average high for October. We've had oddly cool, wet weather for about six months now, but most years it's nice and mild in September and October (and April and May), moderately cold in Dec, Jan, Feb (I lived in Rochester NY, so winter seems pretty wussy to me), and hot as hell in July and August.

yeah i hear the weather is getting better now.

the weather that you guys had last week, what month is that typical for?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
yeah i hear the weather is getting better now.

the weather that you guys had last week, what month is that typical for?
Hmmm, I would say maybe late November?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hmmm, I would say maybe late November?
oh ok.

its funny. i work at a high school and i was telling people that i was missing for a few days because i went to ky. the assistant principal (a very chatty lady who is really friendly) overheard me and told me that she probably will retire in the south (probably to n. carolina because her family is there), and that there is a teacher at the school who is from there. she called the teacher just to double check and the teacher said she would love to tell an intern all about ky!

i came in today to speak to her and she was really excited. really interesting lady. she is half swedish and half jewish and grew up in louisville (she is maybe now in her early 50s). she said how much she loved it and that she visits frequently because her family never left. she knew the mayor and said that her uncle was his hebrew school teacher and that her sister dated him. she laughed saying all the jews in louisville somehow know each other. she had many good things to say about louisville. she did mention that you are in a somewhat liberal city, but that its a city surrounded by conservative people (not really a big deal to me as i venture away from politics). she said that even though the mayor got 70% of the votes or something like that, that you will hear a lot of folk say "jew mayor" but that they really dont mean anything by it. you get things like this everywhere though so it isnt a huge shock to me. the other thing was she said its very much a city centered around couples and families and that aside from the highlands, it really isnt one of the best place for single young people. that was just her feeling on it, but she said its a great city and that i should still consider it. with looking at housing and things like that, it is on my list for the #1 to relocate to above austin. i just have to figure out all the requirements with the school districts there.

QUESTION! if i live in ky but work in indiana, do i pay state income tax for indiana or ky?????

Old 10-21-2009, 05:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,556,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
.QUESTION! if i live in ky but work in indiana, do i pay state income tax for indiana or ky?????
It really and truly is a small world! As far as your question, I'm not sure, I know my Mom works in Indiana and has to pay Kentucky taxes but not sure about Indiana.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:20 PM

904 posts, read 1,588,527 times
This has been fun to read. I'm thinking about moving to Louisville sometime next summer myself after I graduate college. It's fun to see how you feel about it and such. Just thought I'd mention that I enjoy your thread lol.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 PM

72 posts, read 203,649 times
Namomi,

Seems like I'm pretty good with the bar stuff. The he was trying to tell you about was The Outlook Inn. One of the best bloody marys in the city. A personal favorite "last stop" bar for me. Legally they can serve up until 4am. Most of the other bars in town will do last call at 3:30. You can still get a drink at the Outlook Inn at 3:55!!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
This has been fun to read. I'm thinking about moving to Louisville sometime next summer myself after I graduate college. It's fun to see how you feel about it and such. Just thought I'd mention that I enjoy your thread lol.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or