U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM

114 posts, read 211,135 times

Advertisements

Are there such things as apartments/cottages (or whatever you guys call them) that can be let for a few weeks in Louisville or in local surrounding areas? Need somewhere to stay for approx 3 weeks but would like to self cater. Any ideas ppl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM

45 posts, read 103,072 times
It sounds like you're looking for short term accomodations with a bed, bath and kitchen. Is that correct?

Here in the U.S. there are a couple of options. First is the motel-type extended stays. There are a few chains like Residence Inn, which is a bit upscale, and Extended StayAmerica, which has fewer frills and as a result is lower cost. I've not stayed at either of these in the Louisville area, but a google search should yield more information for you.

Alternatively, Craigslist has a sublet and temporary housing section for Louisville (louisville sublets & temporary classifieds - craigslist) that could prove helpful.

Truthfully, unless you have specific dietary needs you might be better off staying in traditional lodging and enjoying the restaurants of Louisville. We have visited there a few times and have no problems finding good, reasonably priced meals. Once you factor in the exchange rate (today it's 1 British pound = 1.6296 U.S. dollars), it's can be a bargain for somebody from the UK. Also, people on this and other forums will gladly make restaurant suggestions if you need them. And finally, dining in restaurants gives you a better feel for the culture and people of an area as varied as Louisville.

A few things to be aware of is you will most likely need a car if you're in the outlying areas, and there are a few areas around Louisville where you wouldn't particularly care to stay for convenience and safety reasons.

Post away if you have any additional questions!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 AM

45 posts, read 103,072 times
After reading some of your earlier posts here Liz, I'm curious if you're coming to the States for a visit yourself?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:44 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
I would check with the Kentucky Dept of Tourism.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:03 PM

666 posts, read 2,202,930 times
The Residence Inn by Marriott is nice, there are at least 2 locations in Louisville that I know of. Most rooms have a living room, kitchen, eat-in area, and either 1 or 2 bedrooms.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzLobster View Post
After reading some of your earlier posts here Liz, I'm curious if you're coming to the States for a visit yourself?

Yep I am coming over in late February/March time for around 3-4 weeks and tbh after seeing photos of some of the HUGE meals served over there (esp breakfasts!) I have got myself a bit scared that if I eat out for the entire duration of my stay my clothes may have to be exchanged for a larger size on my return!

I don't really want to do the touristy things - ok, well maybe some - but generally I just want to enjoy/experience the normal US lifestyle for a few weeks. It will be my first time over there and although we are fed US sitcoms/films/reality chat shows etc on a very regular basis I just can't begin to imagine what 'normal' life is like. We actually discuss this topic regularly and come up with the same words - 'BIG' and 'SPACE'. And then we all start struggling and generally come up with 'BIG CARS'!!

I will be hiring a car, I want to pay silly prices for petrol every time I fill it up. It will be like winning the lottery every time!! Petrol here is SO... expensive it's a joke.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks everyone for these suggestions, I will check them all out.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
Hello, there are several different hotels that offer weekly rates as low as 179. that would work the same way as your "self-catering" concept in Europe. I guess you could look for weekly accommodations, Check Inn Town Suites, and that could lead you to other weekly places on the INternet. Most interesting area of town are East and Northeast of Louisville, & the Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area