U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:40 PM

9,658 posts, read 7,638,989 times

Advertisements

Not much has been said about the Lexington area. Lexington was historically known as "the Athens of the West", as the first college west of the Alleghenies was located here (now Transylvania University). Also in Lexington are the Mary Todd Lincoln House and Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, must-sees for history-loving teens. Also here are the Hunt-Morgan House, "Hopemont", in historic Gratz Park in downtown Lexington and Waveland, the Kentucky Life Museum, a small state park with a beautiful Greek Revival mansion, on the edge of town off Nicholasville Road.

And of course, Lexington is surrounded by the famous thoroughbred horse farms and rolling felds of bluegrass. You can see both bluegrass and horses at the Kentucky Horse Park, a sumptuous attraction which also has not one but several museums concerning horses in history, along with twice-daily "Parades of the Breeds", carriage and trolley rides, horseback riding, horse shows every weekend during warm months, a restaurant (fair to middlin' when I've eaten there), and a gift shop with unique items. And yes, there is a pleasant campground at the Horse Park.

The Red River Gorge is about an hour away, and resembles Arches National Monument, but is heavily wooded. The mountain laurel will be in bloom there in late May, followed by rosebay rhododenddron in mid-June. Spectacular rock formations and around 100 natural arches are here, along with a wild river and a good newish small museum, picnicking areas, lots of hiking trails, and nearby Natural Bridge State Park, with good picnic grounds and camping and a nice lodge and restaurant.

Also less than an hour away from Lexington is Berea, with Berea College, arts and crafts, traditional music and dance, antiques, interesting restaurants, hiking trails ten minutes from town at scenic Indian Fort Mountain, and a private campground which has a good reputation.

Other towns less than an hour from Lexington include Danville (Constitution Square, Burke's Bakery, Ephraim McDowell House, Great American Dollhouse Museum), Frankfort (state capitol, old state capitol, Liberty Hall, Civil War sites, Kentucky History Museum, antiques, good restaurants), Paris (antiques, good food, beautiful horse farms), Versailles (antique malls and other shopping, railroad museum with train rides, toy railroad and miniature museum, dollhouse and miniature shop, Castle Post just outside of town, more horse farms, good food), and nearby Midway (yet more antiques, shopping, food, and horse farms - detect a pattern here??).

Boonesborough State Park and Harrodsburg have (reconstructed) state park pioneer forts , and Shakertown at Pleasant Hill (a few miles from Harrodsburg) offers a wealth of beautifully restored structures, craft demonstrations, tours, overnight accommodations in historic buildings (but not camping that I am aware of), great food, and riverboat rides though the Palisades of the Kentucky River and wildflower walks in season

And if you're entering Kentucky from the west or southwest, don't overlook the cave country just north of Bowling Green. Mammoth Cave National Park is a must-see and has camping, and many other beautiful caves are in the same area. I highly recommend Kentucky Caverns at Kentucky Down Under just outside of Horse Cave, an Australian-themed and owned attraction with extremely well-cared for Australian birds and animals on the surface and a very "decorated" cave just below. Many entertaining and educational programs and other activities are offered here during the warmer months. In downtown Horse Cave is Hidden River Cave (which gave the town its name) and an adjacent excellent small museum about cave formation and history.

Now, how much time did you say you all have for your trip? You'll be here a year if you do everything suggested!

Enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLWR View Post
Is Windy Hollow still open ?? Tom, ar ya sa n ya'll folks be n smatter tan us ??? lol
Windy Hollow indeed is: Windy Hollow Campground and Recreation Center

Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not much has been said about the Lexington area. Lexington was historically known as "the Athens of the West", as the first college west of the Alleghenies was located here (now Transylvania University). Also in Lexington are the Mary Todd Lincoln House and Ashland, the Henry Clay Estate, must-sees for history-loving teens. Also here are the Hunt-Morgan House, "Hopemont", in historic Gratz Park in downtown Lexington and Waveland, the Kentucky Life Museum, a small state park with a beautiful Greek Revival mansion, on the edge of town off Nicholasville Road.

And of course, Lexington is surrounded by the famous thoroughbred horse farms and rolling felds of bluegrass. You can see both bluegrass and horses at the Kentucky Horse Park, a sumptuous attraction which also has not one but several museums concerning horses in history, along with twice-daily "Parades of the Breeds", carriage and trolley rides, horseback riding, horse shows every weekend during warm months, a restaurant (fair to middlin' when I've eaten there), and a gift shop with unique items. And yes, there is a pleasant campground at the Horse Park.

The Red River Gorge is about an hour away, and resembles Arches National Monument, but is heavily wooded. The mountain laurel will be in bloom there in late May, followed by rosebay rhododenddron in mid-June. Spectacular rock formations and around 100 natural arches are here, along with a wild river and a good newish small museum, picnicking areas, lots of hiking trails, and nearby Natural Bridge State Park, with good picnic grounds and camping and a nice lodge and restaurant.

Also less than an hour away from Lexington is Berea, with Berea College, arts and crafts, traditional music and dance, antiques, interesting restaurants, hiking trails ten minutes from town at scenic Indian Fort Mountain, and a private campground which has a good reputation.

Other towns less than an hour from Lexington include Danville (Constitution Square, Burke's Bakery, Ephraim McDowell House, Great American Dollhouse Museum), Frankfort (state capitol, old state capitol, Liberty Hall, Civil War sites, Kentucky History Museum, antiques, good restaurants), Paris (antiques, good food, beautiful horse farms), Versailles (antique malls and other shopping, railroad museum with train rides, toy railroad and miniature museum, dollhouse and miniature shop, Castle Post just outside of town, more horse farms, good food), and nearby Midway (yet more antiques, shopping, food, and horse farms - detect a pattern here??).

Boonesborough State Park and Harrodsburg have (reconstructed) state park pioneer forts , and Shakertown at Pleasant Hill (a few miles from Harrodsburg) offers a wealth of beautifully restored structures, craft demonstrations, tours, overnight accommodations in historic buildings (but not camping that I am aware of), great food, and riverboat rides though the Palisades of the Kentucky River and wildflower walks in season

And if you're entering Kentucky from the west or southwest, don't overlook the cave country just north of Bowling Green. Mammoth Cave National Park is a must-see and has camping, and many other beautiful caves are in the same area. I highly recommend Kentucky Caverns at Kentucky Down Under just outside of Horse Cave, an Australian-themed and owned attraction with extremely well-cared for Australian birds and animals on the surface and a very "decorated" cave just below. Many entertaining and educational programs and other activities are offered here during the warmer months. In downtown Horse Cave is Hidden River Cave (which gave the town its name) and an adjacent excellent small museum about cave formation and history.

Now, how much time did you say you all have for your trip? You'll be here a year if you do everything suggested!

Enjoy...
An excellent summatizion of the Bluegrass Region.

Kentucky's educational woes began with the Civil War. Since the days of being a border state, Kentucky has found itself a land of much political distrust. Just like today when the poor support nationalized healthcare, the poor of the Kentucky mountains rejected much of the wealthier western Kentucky political efforts. Then with the New York Times expolitive essay about the bare-foot and pregnant backwardness of the extremely independent mountain folk, (all false), the term hillbilly came out and unfortunately it stuck.

You will find that Kentucky has wonderful education at many levels. As a system-wide public school unit, Oldham County will stand up against any school system in the US.

The University of Kentucky (as the state's land-grant university and educational flagship) reaches into every county in the state with its Cooperative Extension Dept. In the 1950's, that same university established approximately 10 regional "community colleges" throughout the state to supplement the four regional "teacher's colleges" which became leading universities since 1963. Murray State is recognized as one of the best small state supported universities by many nationally recognized sources.

The University of Louisville has litterally touched lives around the world with its medical research and colaboration with other area medical teams and hospitals to cut the envelopes of hand transplanting, artificial hearts, diabetes, and so much more.

Then there are Centre, Georgetown, Bellermine, Campbellsville, and Kentucky Weslyan. These colleges are internationally recognized liberal arts meccas.

Kentucky also has one of the first large statewide public television networks offering everything from corn-pone to Carneige Hall, even advanced level college classes...

I have only touched the educational opportunities available in Kentucky. I am certain that you will have many more people tell about the many other great resources that I just don't have room to mention.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:31 AM

54 posts, read 102,774 times
Thanks to all. I was hoping to read informative and helpful posts and I did. I hate it when people respond with generalizations, so thank you all for being specific.

But speaking of generalizations, this one has come up often enough to concern me. Many have said how beautiful eastern KY is, and many have said that it is also not a good place to go. Out here, all we hear about is the census worker that was killed because "eastern KY is full of meth labs, pot farms, and people who distrust the government." If that's the case, I'll feel right at home because guess what, the remote areas of NM are full of meth labs, pot farms, and people who distrust the government. In fact, I suspect I may know some of them!

So what's the real story on Eastern KY? A nice to visit, but wouldn't want to live there? Don't let the sun go down on you? Better hope you're white? Lovely and interesting and perfectly safe? Is this an area we will feel comfortable visiting with our two girls? Are there areas we should truly not go?

It is not uncommon out here to come across people using public land (forest, park, and BLM) to grow pot, cook meth, or to set up drug dealerships so that if they are caught they don't forfeit their own property. It's a tricky situation, and not one you want to accidentally get involved in by setting up camp next to a group that is up to no good, but not necessarily "dangerous" as long as you mind your own business. Is that the situation in eastern KY? Or am I misreading it?

Speaking of safety, what are the firearm regulations in KY? Can we have a concealed gun in the car?

And Tomocox, having attended some of the best schools in Texas, and having my kids attend (and myself teach at) some of the worst schools in NM, I appreciate your defense of KY education. That is in fact one of the most important reasons for us to relocate. Things are looking dismal on the education front here, and we can't even blame the Civil War. (As a history buff, I find it fascinating how the Civil War continues to affect life in ways one wouldn't necessarily suspect, but that's a whole 'nother thread!)

Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobersmoochers View Post
So what's the real story on Eastern KY? A nice to visit, but wouldn't want to live there? Don't let the sun go down on you? Better hope you're white?

Lovely and interesting and perfectly safe? Is this an area we will feel comfortable visiting with our two girls? Are there areas we should truly not go?

Speaking of safety, what are the firearm regulations in KY? Can we have a concealed gun in the car? with a concealed carry permit
Kentucky has its pockets as does every other state in the nation. Does Vermont which has almost no black population have a race problem? If it doesn't then why does everyone assume Kentucky does?

Black people of Kentucky have worked long and hard to be recognized as quality people. Much of Kentucky coal has been historically mined by black men and boys. Please do not assume that our state is a racist place, although there are places in this state, such as parts of western Louisville that it's not safe for any person of any race to go.

I am not being indignant towards goobersmoochers, but rather at those who have erroneously created unreal myths about Kentuckians and race. We were a border state. While we maintained slaves throughout the civil war, we also fought to end man's ownership of another man.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM

But I'm not concerned only about race. I'm concerned about the safety of me and my children. What I have heard and read tell about easter KY as a "dangerous" place....what I want to know is 1)is it true? 2)in what way? 3) dangerous for whom?

Having grown up in Texas, in a "pocket" of racial tension, near a town that until only about fifteen years ago still had a sign warning people of a certain color to beware, I know that there are still places that are unfriendly to people for stupid reasons, including but certainly not limited to race. I am thankful that I am not one of those people who hates based on stupid reasons, but I am aware that those people do exist. I think it's a fair question, considering how widespread the rumors of racism are. I also know that it works both ways. That's why I asked. Certainly, there are many people, both black and white, who percieve racism in the area. Is it worse than anywhere else? I don't know. Is it real? I don't know. Again, that's why I ask. I only know where I have lived, and where I do live.

But that's only a portion of the question. Are there places I need to stay away from? Are there places that aren't safe, for racial or ANY other reasons? Is it true that eastern KY is bad news for a family of tourists who ask too many questions? News reports of numerous hidden drug operations are not completely false, if they are a bit overdone...

Please remember that I ask these questions here because it's a "safe place." Would I ever walk into a public place and shout, "Where are all the racists?" or "Who's gonna kill me cause I drove past your pot farm?" NO!! I ask here because I hope to get a sense of what the people who are there and who know think about it.

Tomocox, I appreciate your defense of your area. I know how you feel. I also appreciate your honest answers. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 71,127 times
hello im from louisa ky its on the eastern ky state line and have been all over back in the hills , mnts, and whatever, ill tell you that most of what your asking is completly wrong and someone lied to you, lol pot farms, yes there are some im sure but iv lived here sence i was bore in 89 and iv never been anywhere where i have seen one , ill will say this, if you get lost just turn around and drive back from where you know is safe, because thats how you find these farms your talking about, allways up a gravel road and allways very hidden and you wont just stumbel on one if your not nosying around where there is none., the racist part of what you asked about are not right either though of course i wouldnt advise you to completly forget what color your skin is if you are in fact another color because i know there are people all over who are stuck in the 50's, allways older people but now some young people are getting into it with the other organizations, not really the kkk but the same basic concept and still just as dangorouse and they have camps in the woods and its like a club made from a regular house or trailer so i would be carfull about that , basicaly all you have to do its keep your eyes open and youll know if your not suposed to be there but im telling you, you will likely not have to even worry about it in the least. there are drugs here and its getting pretty seriouse but you not likely to stumble onto one of those spots either because there way way back in the woods and you have to know where it is to even find something like that, you have to remember they dont want to be found so it wont be easy to find,lol, anyway aside from all that mumbo jumbo if you go to a state park or campground where there are rangers and forestry people , youll be fine, there arent many drug operations going on on state land in the public eye these days lol. this is a very good place to visit and the people arent backwards , we just talk different and people dont understand what we mean by what we say and it makes us look like we are ignarant or something, but if you laugh while we talk like alot do your not gonna have a good time here i promise. about the concealed gun laws im allmost certain that you have to have it where you can see it by looking into the car because its ilegal to have a concealed gun here i think ,people usually use gun rack on there window or dont carry one, i would suggest you do carry one just for some odd chance that anyone could have something go wrong, nothing to do with you but i mean if i was in a strange place and didnt know to much about it i would want a gun in case i either get lost and need something to eat or if i need to shoot something else in case of an atack or anything . you just dont know what will happen so better to be prepared than not, right?....if you need more info i will answer but you have to send me a direct message because i probably wont be able to find this post again or really want to . so if you want to know something else just let me know, ill be happy to answer, and by the way there isnt anymore danger for your 2 girls than there is for you 2 to come here i promise you that . it will be fine just have fun and dont let the horer stories scare you because most are untrue, good luck to ya , bye PS. i suggest yatesville lake state park here about 12 miles out of louisa where i live , its good fishing, you can swim, rent a cabin less than 20 feet from the water of the lake and its stuck right in the middle of the foot hills which is a beaute in the mornin when the fog is in the air covering the hills with a mist and you get that fresh mountain air free of smogg and exhaust. yatesville has a website i think just look around and if you want to ill let you have there number just let me know if you do, ill stop talking now..........

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 AM

Thanks! It's good to hear. Sounds like NM to me! Except with an accent...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM

25 posts, read 61,651 times
"By the way, Tomocox, why do you think Oldham county is one of the finest places in America to live? What does it offer you, and why is it important? And what towns are encompassed by Oldham County---I assume Louisville; what others?"

That is an easy answer. A lack of liberals makes it a great place to live! Thank God Louisville is not part of Oldham County. Prospect, Goshen, Crestwood, Buckner and LaGrange are the larger communities in Oldham.

If you are other than white, you should not experience any problems as long as you are respectful and act in a conservative manner. Racism is overblown. People acting stupid have problems and skin color means nothing at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area