U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:52 AM

54 posts, read 102,774 times

Advertisements

Well, having learned a bit about our possible future home state of KY, we have decided to come and see the area for ourselves once school is out here in May. We are planning a major road trip from the deserts of New Mexico, through Texas to see family, and then up to Kentucky to visit friends and scope out the place.

What I am seeking now is advice on possible routes, "must-see" destinations, and places we should probably steer clear of. We will be coming to Louisville, as that is where my friends live, but the rest of the trip is a blank slate. Which way should we go, what should we do, and what should we absolutely NOT miss? We want to see the "tourist-y" places, but we would also like a taste of the real Kentucky, with an eye to relocation.

I know that perspective determines everything, so let me tell you a bit about who we are and what we love: we are a family of four, adults in late thirties, two young teen girls; we LOVE history and historic sites; we like a LITTLE shopping, but not much, and not the high-end fancy-shmancy over-priced, over-rated shops (see "Santa Fe"--bleah!)---we love bargains and unique, local, hand-made goods that are priced what they are worth; but our real love is the outdoors. Camping, hiking, fishing, looking, and breathing fresh air in the great outdoors....ahhhhhhhh! How are the night skies? Where are good stargazing opportunities? The kids would also love museums and parks. I should add that we are NOT big spenders (some have called me CHEAP!) and don't want to just blow money on over-rated ANYTHINGS...

We aren't planning to stay in hotels (we'd rather camp out---hopefully we'll have a truck and camper, but if not, a car and tent, "like when we was kids!") What are the chances of tornadoes? How hot and humid will it be in May-June? Average rain at that time? How bad are the mosquitos? Keep in mind that we are coming from an EXTREMELY arid area where even one hundred and five degrees feels comfortable because of no moisture. I've been warned by fellow desert rats that the humidity east of the Pecos can be unbearable at times if one isn't used to it...

So, keeping in mind that we are considering a move to the area, what is your advice on our road trip?

Last edited by goobersmoochers; 11-07-2009 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobersmoochers View Post
Well, having learned a bit about our possible future home state of KY, we have decided to come and see the area for ourselves once school is out here in May. We are planning a major road trip from the deserts of New Mexico, through Texas to see family, and then up to Kentucky to visit friends and scope out the place.

What I am seeking now is advice on possible routes, "must-see" destinations, and places we should probably steer clear of. We will be coming to Louisville, as that is where my friends live, but the rest of the trip is a blank slate. Which way should we go, what should we do, and what should we absolutely NOT miss? We want to see the "tourist-y" places, but we would also like a taste of the real Kentucky, with an eye to relocation.

I know that perspective determines everything, so let me tell you a bit about who we are and what we love: we are a family of four, adults in late thirties, two young teen girls; we LOVE history and historic sites; we like a LITTLE shopping, but not much, and not the high-end fancy-shmancy over-priced, over-rated shops (see "Santa Fe"--bleah!)---we love bargains and unique, local, hand-made goods that are priced what they are worth; but our real love is the outdoors. Camping, hiking, fishing, looking, and breathing fresh air in the great outdoors....ahhhhhhhh! How are the night skies? Where are good stargazing opportunities? The kids would also love museums and parks. I should add that we are NOT big spenders (some have called me CHEAP!) and don't want to just blow money on over-rated ANYTHINGS...

We aren't planning to stay in hotels (we'd rather camp out---hopefully we'll have a truck and camper, but if not, a car and tent, "like when we was kids!") What are the chances of tornadoes? How hot and humid will it be in May-June? Average rain at that time? How bad are the mosquitos? Keep in mind that we are coming from an EXTREMELY arid area where even one hundred and five degrees feels comfortable because of no moisture. I've been warned by fellow desert rats that the humidity east of the Pecos can be unbearable at times if one isn't used to it...

So, keeping in mind that we are considering a move to the area, what is your advice on our road trip?
If coming from Texas, come through Little Rock, cross the Mississippi River in Memphis, then take US 51 up to Mayfield KY, then turn east towards Murray, cross the lakes on US 68, and then you have options, I would turn north on the Breathitt Parkway to Sebree, turn right on KY 56 to Owensboro, eat some KY BBQ & Burgoo, then follow US 60-E towards Louisville. You'll drive through Fort Knox (turn right at US 31-W to see the Gold Vault) then left to I-65 and you'll be 35 miles south of downtown Louisville. From Louisville, you'll need to head out US 60 to Frankfort and Lexington where you'll see the horsefarms. If you can, then take a day trip from Lexington to London, go east on the Harold Rogers (aka Daniel Boone) Pkwy. Take KY 80 to Prestonsburg where you can either turn back to the west towards Lexington, or you can go to Ashland pick up the Ashland-Alexandria (AA) Highway and you'll see tour another section of the Ohio Valley up to Covington, then back to Louisville on either US 42, or I-71. This will take about 5 days, but you'll see all the major regions of Kentucky and will be near many of the historically important venues of this wonderful state.

If you wind up working in Louisville, you'll have to take a glance at Oldham County which I believe is one of the finest places in all of America to live.

As far as the weather, Kentucky may have a few thunderstorms with an occasional tornado. While Kentucky can and has seen tornadoes in every month of the year, I have never in my 57 years living in Kentucky ever seen a tornado personally. I can not remember a tornado ever touching down in McLean Co. Until 2002, Owensboro had never had a recorded tornado of any size. So while there will be the occasional tornado in Kentucky, they are widespread. You won't have a humidity problem in Kentucky during May and seldom in June.

If you need to see museums, I recommend the Patton Museum (mostly WWII) in Ft. Knox. The Kentucky Derby Museum and Slugger Museum in Louisville. The Kentucky History Museum in Frankfort is worth the stop, too. My Old Kentucky Home and Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace will be near Elizabethtown, and the Aquarium at Newport gets lots of good reviews.

Shopping, wow... I would start by checking out http://www.kyguild.org. Then being certain to shop in Berea for genuine Kentucky art.

Parks: Land between the Lakes in Western KY is a must. Great camping, etc. Check out http://www.tourism.ky.gov/ (broken link) for the Kentucky Resort Parks and campgrounds.

Last edited by tomocox; 11-07-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Tomocox, I mapped it out the way you said, and it looks pretty good....Thanks! Any particular place to camp?

By the way, Tomocox, why do you think Oldham county is one of the finest places in America to live? What does it offer you, and why is it important? And what towns are encompassed by Oldham County---I assume Louisville; what others?

Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 PM

23,000 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:

I think that anyone moving/visiting to the greater Louisville area or generally Kentucky should take a trip on down to Elizabethtown. I consider Elizabethtown to be a top small town in KY (I'm not a Kentuckian YET so take this with a grain of salt). Ft. Knox is only minutes away and you are a balanced distance from Louisville. Close enough for a resonable commute (think about an hour from my postings) but far enough to not worry about sprawl.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Cool!

I know it sounds lame in this day and age, but we've never been back east. Dallas is as far as we've gone. And no further north than Southern Colorado. So we are very excited about this trip. I have heard Elizabethtown is a "must-see." Thanks!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM

181 posts, read 411,543 times
E-town is a great town, I love it here. Oh and good post by Tom, I mentioned the bbq mutton (Owensboro) before (or was it to you ?)...you HAVE to try it !

Old 11-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Tomocox, I mapped it out the way you said, and it looks pretty good....Thanks! Any particular place to camp?

By the way, Tomocox, why do you think Oldham county is one of the finest places in America to live? What does it offer you, and why is it important? And what towns are encompassed by Oldham County---I assume Louisville; what others?
No, Louisville is in Jefferson County. Oldham County is a bedroom for Louisville. The towns are: Pewee Valley (40056), Crestwood (40014) I live in Crestwood. Buckner (40010), LaGrange 40031 (county seat and one of my realty offices is there), Westport 40077 (on the Ohio River), Goshen (40026), and parts of Oldham are considered Prospect (40059), Pendleton (40055), and Smithfield (40068).

Why do I think Oldham County is one of the finest places in America to live? Well, I moved here in 2002, since then I have discovered as fine of a group of people as you would find in Mayberry, USA, but with a twist, we are one of the highest educated group of people you'll find outside of a college town. Our public schools are 1st rate, our hospitals are nearby and considered outstanding, our EMS (police, fire, ambulance, & rescue) are second to none. You can leave your doors unlocked and come home a week later expecting to find everything there. (I don't advise that because there is some crime, but almost no violent crime.) You'll find water sports all around, from a beautiful public pool, and Family Y, to the Ohio River and great fishing lakes within a few miles. You'll find a government by the people (could truly be a next door neighbor.) You'll find arts, crafts, shopping, and mega-stores. You'll find the neighborhood grocery, butcher, and car dealers that have a conversation with you. You'll find parks with ball fields, soccer fields, youth football, baseball, soccer, and gymnastics, karate, and even a shooting range. You'll find a beautiful garden of eden-like sanctuary. You'll find hunting, bird watching, deer, geese, raccoons, squirrels, foxes, and wild turkeys.

You'll be 45 minutes to a great intra-continential airport with extremely low fares to both coasts, and to all the major international ports. You'll be 90 minutes to one of America's major international airports at Cincinnati, and you'll be in a hot bed of college and professional sports.

I could go on, but I think you get the points of why I love this place.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Oh, by the way, places to camp.... Western Kentucky, there are many great camp grounds around the lakes. Owensboro, Windy Hollow (about 10 miles south of Owensboro west of KY 81), Louisville, Taylorsville Lake State Park, off I-75 south of Lexington, Cumberland Falls State Park, and many parks and campgrounds throughout the mountains of eastern Kentucky.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks again! You should sell real estate. Hey, wait a minute......

The idea of educated appeals to me...I understand that the perception of Kentucky as a hillbilly backwater may not be entirely accurate, and I am intrigued. Tell me more...

Old 11-07-2009, 07:35 PM

181 posts, read 411,543 times
Is Windy Hollow still open ?? Tom, ar ya sa n ya'll folks be n smatter tan us ??? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area