U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM

522 posts, read 1,394,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4jazz View Post
The Highlands is a wonderful neighborhood, by far the most civilized part of town.
If you are a heterosexual and don't mind ignorance and low levels of education for a large portion of the community, then I would recommend moving to Louisville. If you are gay/lesbian or a compassionate heterosexual that seeks diversity, then I would discourage a move here.
Well maybe I should have taken your advice. I have only been here about 3 weeks, but I feel like I'm in the bible belt and the level of intelligence very low. I could not afford to buy a home in the Highlands, so I live in J Town. Where might you suggest I hang out in Highlands (plan to look for a job there or downtown) where I might meet some people who actually live in the 21st century? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM

12 posts, read 20,099 times
I've been looking for work for a long time now and I've been offered a position in Louisville. I read these forums to get valuable information on good neighborhoods vs bad neighborhoods, fun factor and fun things to do, nightlife, etc. I am an atheist libertarian and realize everyone has their own political and religious beliefs. But as far as these forums go, all that really matters is whether the city is super one way or the other. Most cities are a mix except for Orem UT and San Fransisco CA for example that are predominately one way. So silly comments about "thinking people" don't help. If you are so closed minded that you can't stand being around a certain group, then how about something like this:

My religious and political beliefs are very important to me and being around others who disagree with causes me great discomfort. Is this city predominately <fill in the blank>?.

Hey, I just described every liberal I know... Sorry, had to stick that in because of some previous comments...

Last edited by sr22pilot; 07-14-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM

171 posts, read 324,333 times
Ditto that sr22pilot.

I notice a handful of people are having bad experiences in the "Ville. Some of it is attitude but there seem to be cases of a mismatch between personality and location. I don't care who or what you are, I could take anyone to any city in america and if you let me pick your location I could make you miserable 99.9% of the time. I'd like to think I could make you happy a great majority of the time too but it's easier to irk people than to make them happy.

Back to the point. This city has pockets and layer upon layer of culture. I wouldn't move to J-town unless you are comfortable in a typically blue-collar environment. Ditto that for Bullitt County, the South End, and many other areas.

Joanie55 didn't want to spend the bucks to move to the highlands but she would be much happier in Hikes Point or Lyndon for the same $$. I just hope she didn't buy a house in "Vinyl City". I feel for you and I understand your remorse but don't assume J-town is a microcosm or fair representation of the broader 'Ville.

As an appraiser I have to write reports about properties all over the city and I have to get over my prejudices to see why some people like areas I wouldn't inhabit if my housing were given to me. I feel the same way sometimes in my role as a Realtor but not as much because I tend to work with a narrow clientele.

Pick your location carefully. You can have a great time here if you do your research. I don't want to make it sound difficult to enjoy this town but really, if you move to an area that doesn't suit you whether you are in KY, FL, CA, TX, etc., you're not going to be happy.

Last edited by bbkennedy; 07-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2010, 11:19 PM

522 posts, read 1,394,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
Ditto that sr22pilot.

I notice a handful of people are having bad experiences in the "Ville. Some of it is attitude but there seem to be cases of a mismatch between personality and location. I don't care who or what you are, I could take anyone to any city in america and if you let me pick your location I could make you miserable 99.9% of the time. I'd like to think I could make you happy a great majority of the time too but it's easier to irk people than to make them happy.

Back to the point. This city has pockets and layer upon layer of culture. I wouldn't move to J-town unless you are comfortable in a typically blue-collar environment. Ditto that for Bullitt County, the South End, and many other areas.

Joanie55 didn't want to spend the bucks to move to the highlands but she would be much happier in Hikes Point or Lyndon for the same $$. I just hope she didn't buy a house in "Vinyl City". I feel for you and I understand your remorse but don't assume J-town is a microcosm or fair representation of the broader 'Ville.

As an appraiser I have to write reports about properties all over the city and I have to get over my prejudices to see why some people like areas I wouldn't inhabit if my housing were given to me. I feel the same way sometimes in my role as a Realtor but not as much because I tend to work with a narrow clientele.

Pick your location carefully. You can have a great time here if you do your research. I don't want to make it sound difficult to enjoy this town but really, if you move to an area that doesn't suit you whether you are in KY, FL, CA, TX, etc., you're not going to be happy.
Well I wish you had been my realtor because I DID buy a house in J Town! I am not familiar with Hikes Point or Lyndon, but I'm not that far from the Highlands, St. Matthews area with I really like.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM

23,062 posts, read 32,079,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkennedy View Post
Ditto that sr22pilot.

True. I like my little pocket of Hardin County (Vine Grove) because it is a good match of my personality as a laid-back military brat. I was so miserable in Northern VA because that place was not great for my personality.

Also no area is one size fits all. I don't believe every 20-something professional should live in the Highlands. I would probably like Old Louisville or Clifton more than the Highlands. No knock on the Highlands, just it probably isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area