U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 03:50 PM

31 posts, read 110,058 times

Advertisements

So it came down to Nashville or Louisville, both fine cities. But it looks like my wife will win. We are leaning toward Louisville. But there is nothing wrong with that.

-My wife is a nurse, so we don't anticipate having too much trouble in finding her a job. I currently work in IT and have a bachelors degree from WKU. What does the job market look like for me?

-We also have a two month old, so schools won't be an issue for a while, but would still like some info on Louisville schools. What are Louisville schools like? (I've heard some negatives) Private school isn't completely out of the question.

-We will hopefully be looking to buy, and we will be in the under 130k price range more than likely. We love the Highlands area and have friends that live there. We would prefer to be close to that area, realizing that our price range isn't ideal for that. What neighborhoods are their close to that area that are affordable that don't have the bad crime rate? Would love to stay out of suburbia.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwbaw View Post
So it came down to Nashville or Louisville, both fine cities. But it looks like my wife will win. We are leaning toward Louisville. But there is nothing wrong with that.

-My wife is a nurse, so we don't anticipate having too much trouble in finding her a job. I currently work in IT and have a bachelors degree from WKU. What does the job market look like for me?

-We also have a two month old, so schools won't be an issue for a while, but would still like some info on Louisville schools. What are Louisville schools like? (I've heard some negatives) Private school isn't completely out of the question.

-We will hopefully be looking to buy, and we will be in the under 130k price range more than likely. We love the Highlands area and have friends that live there. We would prefer to be close to that area, realizing that our price range isn't ideal for that. What neighborhoods are their close to that area that are affordable that don't have the bad crime rate? Would love to stay out of suburbia.

Thanks
I just did a search on Real Estate Including Residential and Commercial Real Estate | RE/MAX International, Inc. and found 15 homes in the 40204 area which is the western side of the Highlands. Many of these homes are refurbished camel backs which can be very cozy comfortable living homes.

You should do alright as far as crime in most of 40204. Louisville schools can be wonderful, but only if you are lucky enough to get your first child into a traditional school. If your first goes in, the rest can follow. I would not put much faith in the rest of the system's schools. There are several good private/parochial schools in the area.

If you are good, IT is still needing workers.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 AM

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2009, 02:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,663 times
Default neighborhoods

Try the Clifton neighborhood.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

54 posts, read 210,215 times
As far as an IT position is concerned, as you know, pretty much any large corporation here needs IT support. GE, UPS, Humana, E.On, Kindred, Brown-Forman, or Pharmerica. But, there are others you may consider. ZirMED is a local company that aids healthcare in electronic billing. Jewish Hospital and Norton Healthcare have IT needs. I would throw out all your lines. I bet you can land something.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Yea, we like the Clifton area as well. Definitely going to look there (it will be in the spring before we can actually move.)
I also have noticed lots of IT jobs listed on the internet for the Louisville area, so I guess that is a pretty good sign.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM

58 posts, read 159,074 times
Another affordable area that's not as nice as Clifton but cheaper is Germantown. It's literally a 5 minute drive from the Bardstown Rd. corridor and has gentrified a fair amount over the last few years.
Not sure how large of a home you'd prefer but Germantown largely consists of early 20th century "shotgun (and "camelback") houses," as well as bungalows and smaller full 2-story frame houses. Clifton has some of the same, but seems to have more of the 2-story frame homes compared to shotgun cottages.
Not sure if you all are into bars but Germantown has some good ones. Some of these bars and restaurants include:
Nachbar, Seidenfaden's, Flabby's, Swan Dive, Come Back Inn, Jockamo's Pizza, Check's Cafe - there's quite a few others as well, those are just some I know off the top of my head.
The area of Germantown along and west of Goss Ave. is known as Schnitzelburg, and I'd also recommend the similar St. Joseph neighborhood along Preston St. (runs roughly from Preston & Shelby west toward I-65 on the north side of Eastern Pkwy.)

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM

39 posts, read 100,664 times
I live in Clifton with a 15 month old and a 2 week old. Moved here from out of state a year and a half back and haven't regretted it since. That said, Germantown offers a lot as well and for me a choice between the two would come down to commute. I work in Indiana, and Germantown would automatically add another 10 minutes or more daily for me.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 84,118 times
Default Lowe's In Louisville?

Hi, My husband and I are relocating to Louisville from NC.
I am in my 40's and would like to check out areas that are suburban with a city feel.
Safety is huge and would like area(s) that I can walk our dogs without worry.
My husband is a mgr at Lowe's Home Improvement, so close proximity to a Lowe's is a priority.
I am very into health and fitness, organic foods, yoga and would like to find work renting space from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I am a medical esthetician, (skin care), so building a client base will be a priority for me.

Any advise on places to look that may fit the picture for both of us?
Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area