U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-19-2007, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,678 times
Default Louisville or Nashville better for liberals?

Hello everyone. My husband is currently interviewing with companies in Nashville, TN and Louisville, KY. We're liberal New Yorkers (and Unitarians). Any idea which southern city might suit better? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-19-2007, 01:07 PM

3,681 posts, read 7,367,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsgroi View Post
Hello everyone. My husband is currently interviewing with companies in Nashville, TN and Louisville, KY. We're liberal New Yorkers (and Unitarians). Any idea which southern city might suit better? Thanks!
Both are fine cities. Nashville is growing faster and has a bit healthier economy, but Louisville has a good job and housing market too. Louisville seems to have less traffic, and has a much denser core with nice urban neighborhoods. Nashville is more sprawled out, although downtown is quite nice and the West End around Vanderbilt is gorgeous.

I think Louisville has a bit more of a Midwestern/Southern mix than Nashville. Overall, the two towns are similar sized, although Nashville has more tourism related industry with country music.

I think this is really a toss up. You would be fine in either city. I am very partial to Louisville, and stand by my assertion that my neighborhood, the Highlands, is among the most liberal in this particular midsouth region of the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig...8Louisville%29

The neighborhood actually is composed of a dozen smaller ones, and wikipedia give you a short blurb on a few.

Another liberal area is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Louisville

"Old Louisville is one of the most liberal neighborhoods in Louisville, as evidenced by the General Election results in 2004, where it voted for John Kerry by a 60% margin and against a proposal to amend the state constitution to define marriage as "between one man and one woman" by a 66% margin (the proposal passed 75% to 25% in Kentucky)"

There are several Unitarian churches in the city. Here is one in Old Louisville:

http://www.firstulou.org/index.html

Louisville, surprisingly, is a very hip city. Here is one of our weekly alternative rags:

http://www.leoweekly.com/

Pick it up at one of our locally owned, indie stores:

www.keeplouisvilleweird.com

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Unread 05-19-2007, 02:14 PM

710 posts, read 899,292 times
I've been to Louisville several times and liked it but I can't really tell you too much about the city. I definitely agree with the poster above about Louisville having a more established core. It grew to be a big city before Nashville did. However, like fellow New South boomtowns Atlanta & Charlotte, Nashville seems to be growing at a feverish pace right now and it's core is truly exploding with development. The growth has a great deal of positives but negatives as well (like traffic). You should check out some of the great projects at both cities at Urban Planet. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Politically and socially, Nashville is the middle of the spectrum with the city itself being considerably more liberal than its' many suburbs. There are some great liberal neighborhoods in East Nashville, Hillsboro Village, Elliston Place and a burgeoning gay district along Church Street. I hear Sylvan Park is quite nice as well. Nashville doesn't have the massive amounts of older housing stock like Louisville does but, if that's your thing, I recommend checking out Germantown. It's an incredibly interesting area that's flourishing near the Bicentennial Mall right off downtown. If you're looking for a newer, hip urban area, then you may want to check out the Gulch. There are building tons of lofts and high-rise condos in that area and you could walk to the nightlife in the area as well as Broadway and 2nd Avenue.

Nashville is a larger metro area and, as such, has a little bit more of certain amenities like pro sports. Otherwise, the two cities are pretty comparable. I will caution you about expecting most people in either city to be very progressively liberal like they are in NYC or even in a college town like Ann Arbor. You're likely to find your niche in both places. I'm pretty liberal myself and have never had a problem in either town as the people are very friendly. I'm actually excited about moving back to Nashville from Ann Arbor. However, if you go to either city with a negative outlook about people with different viewpoints than your own, then you may have problems. It's a matter of treating people with the respect you expect. Good luck!

Last edited by ariesjow; 05-19-2007 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area