Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville, KY.... southern or midwestern?
Southern 31 47.69%
MidWestern 34 52.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,388,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
We've got plenty of Waffle Houses here in Colorado. I think it's more of a middle-American phenomenon than a southern thing, exactly.
Me too to tell you the truth.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,339,545 times
It may have spread out that way, but its a southern thing....sorry. They started in Georgia and are mostly in still in the southeast. I think its pretty well documented that its a symbol of southern culture. But I know they are out that way. Its just like, we have culvers in illinois now. Things change.

to the op..I am really sorry I changed the subject but I stand by my words

Old 05-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
It may have spread out that way, but its a southern thing....sorry. They started in Georgia and are mostly in still in the southeast. I think its pretty well documented that its a symbol of southern culture. But I know they are out that way. Its just like, we have culvers in illinois now. Things change.

to the op..I am really sorry I changed the subject but I stand by my words
You're actually right. I take it back. I meant it only as mid-America thing as it has spread further north over the years. But yes it is originally Southern and apparantly they are most common in the South. Cleveland has five of them....that shows you how far north they've spread and the appeal they appear to be having. If they are in Toledo, how much longer before they start appearing in Michigan. It's only a matter of time before Illinois begins getting more in my opinion. THey've already got Cracker Barrel in over half the state, who's to say the Waffle House won't make it up there? With Missouri and Indiana making up the majority of its eastern and western borders it seems inevitable. I'm looking forward to it if sweet tea does make it up to St. Louis restaurants besides those of Cracker Barrel. I love that stuff and have to drive 120 miles southeast to Carbondale, Illinois or over 100 miles due south in Missouri from St. Louis to get it in restaurants besides Cracker Barrel. Time is more than overdue for culture to start being shared a little more. But I guess that would kill the whole idea and purpose of a vacation wouldn't it.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,339,545 times
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/n....jsp?id=h-1935
http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2007/01/25/Columns/South.Of.The.Waffle.House.Line-2677589.shtml (broken link)
http://www.flakmag.com/misc/wafflehouse.html
but there are literally tons of articles that discuss the southerness of the waffle house

Anyway, afj -- I saw advertisments at McDonald's when I was in Kentucky and Tennesee (even one over the border in Indiana -- Jeffersonville actually) that they are now selling Sweet Tea!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2007/01/25/Columns/South.Of.The.Waffle.House.Line-2677589.shtml (broken link)
but there are literally tons of articles that discuss the southerness of the waffle house

Anyway, afj -- I saw advertisments at McDonald's when I was in Kentucky and Tennesee (even one over the border in Indiana -- Jeffersonville actually) that they are now selling Sweet Tea!

Wouldn't surprise me considering Cloverdale, Indiana has sweet tea in restaurants other than Cracker Barrel. Indiana as I said before has the most sweet tea of any state in the Midwest i've ever seen, significantly more than Missouri, Illinois, or Ohio. Illinois has it only really far south like in Carbondale. Missouri has it maybe starting around Cape Girardeau which is basically very far south in the state but it's not any further north than that. Even Joplin, Missouri didn't have sweet tea until very recently (Ask my father, he grew up there). Oh well. there are better places than Mickey D's for sweet tea. in any case, for the Waffle House articles, I'm not disputing that it's not a Southern thing, it clearly began in the South, but it's clearly no longer a regional thing that is for sure. What with them being in Indianapolis, St. Louis, Columbus, Toledo Cincinnati, Kansas City, and Cleveland and there being significantly more than just one in all these cities and their presence in Colorado far from dismissable, suggests to me that they have really spread out over the years to the north and west. And they've had quite a bit of time to do so as well. How Illinois excluding the STL metro (which is not Southern, btw,IMHO, neither is Columbus, southern culture overlap is nonexistent and I have relatives in both cities and have resided in STL for over 20 years, nothing personal, just my opinion), has not caught on is very strange indeed considering Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri are beginning to bulk up with them! You'd think most of Illinois would've followed suit. It seems like it's only a matter of time before Michigan gets them, i think they may already even have one!

Last edited by ajf131; 05-22-2007 at 09:55 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:

Doesn't surprise me...Kentucky and Tennessee are Southern states, so why wouldn't every restaurant have sweet tea. Louisville has plenty of it. The parts of Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Missouri which border Southern states also have sweet tea. Southern Indiana has it almost all the way up to Indy! None of what you're telling me is new, but in any case, I wish I didn't have to go so far south to get sweet tea. I'd rather get sweet tea at a decent restaurant and not have Cracker Barrel as my only option. Closest place to me in Missouri which offers sweet tea and is not a Cracker Barrel is in Sikeston, Missouri which is over 150 miles to the south of me almost in the Missouri bootheel.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-22-2007 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 PM

Anyways let's get back to the main discussion which is about Louisville and Kentucky.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,072,816 times
Quote:
They must have gooten tired of people asking for it! lol

Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Since when have Waffle Houses been used as a way to define The South? I find those all over the United States!
Don't you read The Onion? They had a headline several months ago, something like, "Mason-Dixon Line Replaced By Waffle House-IHOP Line".

Old 05-23-2007, 06:49 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,572,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I remember waffle houses in Indiana and Illinois back in the early 70s.
Are you sure? I traveled extensively thru both states during that era and never saw a Waffle House in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area