Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 PM

49 posts, read 376,038 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you had any opinions on good neighborhoods/schools in the eastern part of Louisville? What are your thoughts on the neighborhoods Polo Fields? Jefferson Terrace? Lake Forest? or Springhurst?

Thanks so much!!

ps. my husband is in Louisville this week and drove to Oldham County and thought it would be too far out for me in relation to "the happenin' stuff" like malls or restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorismith View Post
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you had any opinions on good neighborhoods/schools in the eastern part of Louisville? What are your thoughts on the neighborhoods Polo Fields? Jefferson Terrace? Lake Forest? or Springhurst?

Thanks so much!!

ps. my husband is in Louisville this week and drove to Oldham County and thought it would be too far out for me in relation to "the happenin' stuff" like malls or restaurants, etc.
All of those neighborhoods are very high end suburban areas. Homes range in price from 400k to 2 million. All four are subdvisions with a high concentration of professionals, business owners, and executives. Lake Forest is the largest and IMO it is overpiced and overplayed. Polo Fields is the farthest out, and can cost you a lot of driving time. If you are in Oldham County close to I-71, you are actually closer to shopping than if you were at Polo Fields. I would not discount living in the actual city or inner ring suburban areas. You would most likely like the Highlands, St Matthews, or Lyndon. Of course, most of the streets in these areas are more gridded, and many of the homes are older (althogh rehabbed and there is lots of new infill construction in these areas). Louisville is not like a super large city where you have to live in an exurban area to feel safe with a family. Hope this helps, but if you must choose among the four areas, Springhurst is probably the best value and location relative to shopping (although in my opinion is sort of poorly layed out and close to an urban planner's wort nightmare, the Springhurst Town Center shopping plaza. But then again, I am clearly biased towards rehabbed old homes and urban areas with sustainability and walkability. And who wouldn't be with rising gas prices? ). Polo Fields and Lake Forest probably hold more prestige with the "new money" golf course types. I have never heard of Jefferson Terrace actually.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
All of those neighborhoods are very high end suburban areas. Homes range in price from 400k to 2 million. All four are subdvisions with a high concentration of professionals, business owners, and executives. Lake Forest is the largest and IMO it is overpiced and overplayed. Polo Fields is the farthest out, and can cost you a lot of driving time. If you are in Oldham County close to I-71, you are actually closer to shopping than if you were at Polo Fields. I would not discount living in the actual city or inner ring suburban areas. You would most likely like the Highlands, St Matthews, or Lyndon. Of course, most of the streets in these areas are more gridded, and many of the homes are older (althogh rehabbed and there is lots of new infill construction in these areas). Louisville is not like a super large city where you have to live in an exurban area to feel safe with a family. Hope this helps, but if you must choose among the four areas, Springhurst is probably the best value and location relative to shopping (although in my opinion is sort of poorly layed out and close to an urban planner's wort nightmare, the Springhurst Town Center shopping plaza. But then again, I am clearly biased towards rehabbed old homes and urban areas with sustainability and walkability. And who wouldn't be with rising gas prices? ). Polo Fields and Lake Forest probably hold more prestige with the "new money" golf course types. I have never heard of Jefferson Terrace actually.

Thank you, stx12499, for the info!! I will be there week of June 4th to see for myself! I will get some info on neighborhoods in Oldham Cty, closer to I-71. Would you recommend any? I appreciate it!! My husband said he it was about 30 minutes to Oldham County homes and I thought it was too far for me to drive my daughter to gymnastics, etc. if I had to go into Louisville for that!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Thank you, stx12499, for the info!! I will be there week of June 4th to see for myself! I will get some info on neighborhoods in Oldham Cty, closer to I-71. Would you recommend any? I appreciate it!! My husband said he it was about 30 minutes to Oldham County homes and I thought it was too far for me to drive my daughter to gymnastics, etc. if I had to go into Louisville for that!
I have driven all around Oldham County and explored it, and it is very nice, but too exurban for my tastes. It is getting a bit sprawly if you will. For that reason I really cannot recall any of the subdivision names, but it seems like there are hundreds. Anyways, if you get off on the first I-71 exit for Crestwood coming from the city (exit 14 I think), and then go south (right off the freeway), there are some nice subdivisions on the new KY 329, right by a high school (I believe it is South Oldham). You can also get to this area by exiting the Gene Snyder (I-265) at the Ky-22 or Ky-146 exits and heading north. There is a belt of sprawling subdivisions on the way, and they all seem very nice. Most your major shopping will be 5-10 minutes away at the Ky-22/I-265 interchange. However, there are plans for a mega retail and lifestyle center at exit 17 off I-71 (now a rural part of Buckner), although this may not be finished for several years.

But, as I said, you shouldn't feel a need to live too far out. You will see when you get into town

Old 05-25-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
But, as I said, you shouldn't feel a need to live too far out. You will see when you get into town
Well, the reason we are looking in Oldham County is because we hear that is where you need to be if you want the excellent schools. I am sure there are excellent schools in the eastside, too. I just have to check it all out! I will definitely look into Crestwood area. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,943 times
I live very near the Polo Fields and Lake Forest. The commute isn't bad at all, but I work in the east end. Going downtown in rush hour would take about 45 minutes from those subdivisions.

All four are upper-upper middle class. Very, very nice. I will say that I've heard several complains about the Homeowners Association of Polo Fields. It apparently is still controlled by the builder and they can be very strict. (For example, most HO just file a lien if you miss paying your association dues. Then they will get their money plus interest when the homeowner refinances or sells. Polo Fields will file a lien and then start foreclosure proceedings after a few months. I know you should pay your dues on time, but ruining someone's credit seems a little much to me. You might want to ask them about that.)

You might want to look at Persimmon Ridge, which is right over the Jefferson County line in Shelby County. (It's near Aiken and Flat Rock Road.) A very nice subdivision, slightly more reasonably priced, with a golf course. A little more of a country feel, and just 10 minutes from Middletown, which has everything you need. Still a 45 commute to downtown, however.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
You might want to look at Persimmon Ridge, which is right over the Jefferson County line in Shelby County. (It's near Aiken and Flat Rock Road.) A very nice subdivision, slightly more reasonably priced, with a golf course. A little more of a country feel, and just 10 minutes from Middletown, which has everything you need. Still a 45 commute to downtown, however.
Thanks for the info! Does Persimmon Ridge have amenities such as a pool and playground area? Those are big pluses for us!

Old 05-25-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Does Persimmon Ridge have amenities such as a pool and playground area? Those are big pluses for us!
Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and the door will be opened unto you.

In other words, check it out here:

http://www.persimmonridge.com/index.html (broken link)

Look under "The Development" section. Lots of photos. I will say that the prices were a higher than I remember from when I was looking, but those are new spec houses directly from the builder. Also, there is an "older" section that is still very nice that will have better prices.

Photos of the golf course here:

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pag...e%20photo.html

Old 05-25-2007, 07:30 AM

Here are some listings for Persimmon Ridge and they all look to be in the new section.

http://www.actionfirst1.kentucky.rem...?LID=27247740#

http://www.actionfirst1.kentucky.rem...=27896949#aTop

http://www.actionfirst1.kentucky.rem...=30197181#aTop

These are huge, 4 bedroom houses. I know there are more affordable ones in the old section, which is only 5 years old or so.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM

79 posts, read 416,654 times
Default Subdivisions

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Thanks so much!!

Lorismith, I lived in Springhurst and it consists of several different "villages" varying in price ranges. One of the villagges "White Blossom" is a very transient neighborhood and these homes were built by Zaring Construction...not good...these homes can be distinguished by a "Z" carved somwhere in the lower facade of the front of the home. Springhurst is a very convenient location and traffic has gotten a little dicey since the area has developed in the last 2 years - new Costco and restaurants and new Norton hospital coming in soon. Given this, I would still consider going back to these neighborhoods. Lake Forest is HUGE and can get quite confusing getting around. Never heard of Jefferson Terrace and Polo Springs is very nice but a little out of the way. Persimmon is also nice but out of the way and the road to get there is bit winding and there is a womans corrrectional facility nearby.

Check out http://www.semonin.com/RECoHomepage.aspx (broken link) for real estate, you can search by area or by subdivision name and many other choices.

When it comes to public school, do not assume that if you live next door or down the street from a school, that your child will ba attending there. If there is not an opening for you child in that particular grade, they will not take you and will bus your child to the next nearest school. You can go sown to the board of education and file a hardship claim to reaquest your child atten the school nearest to you, but it's like asking for a miracle...I did this and it didn't work so my kids went to catholic school and my I would take my one daughter went to public school for speech therapy @ 3:00 at Norton elementary...one of the better public schools in easter Louisville...there's a elementary school called Bowen elementary that has a wonderful therapy dept....I had a friend who took her son there who has aspergers and she loved it.

Hope this helped.

P.S. My DH is there also today and tomorrow, he's interviewing. Keep your fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area