U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 22,589 times

Advertisements

I Am Moving To Louisville From Nevada And I Have Been Reading That The Crime In Louisville Is Out Of Control. Would Like To Know Which Areas Are Safe To Live And Buy A House. Looking For Homes Around 300k New Or Almost New. I Was Told The East End Is S Good Safe Place??????. How About Traffic? And Weather? Any Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 02:09 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egifx View Post
I Am Moving To Louisville From Nevada And I Have Been Reading That The Crime In Louisville Is Out Of Control. Would Like To Know Which Areas Are Safe To Live And Buy A House. Looking For Homes Around 300k New Or Almost New. I Was Told The East End Is S Good Safe Place??????. How About Traffic? And Weather? Any Suggestions?
Crime is not bad. Most of the city is very safe outside parts of the west end.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 22,589 times
Thx For Your Reply

Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 AM

92 posts, read 455,397 times
Crime in Louisville is not bad - especially when compared to Nevada! It is a small media market, and murder sells papers and helps ratings. For a city of 700,000 Louisville had only 50 murders in 2006.

Indianapolis, a city of 865,000 had over 150 murders last year.

Cincinnati, a city of 300,000 had 89 murders in 2006.

Reno, a city of 210,000 had 23 murders in 2006. (A higher rate than Louisville's due to population differences)

Las Vegas had over 150 murders in 2006.

The city of North Las Vegas, with a population of 182,000 had 22 murders itself in 2006!

I just wanted to show I am not talking out of pure city boosterism, but that Louisville really really trumps up the crime in news reports for ratings - and because it fills air time.

Now, this year there have been 26 or 27 to date - which is not good - it looks like after several years of a dropping murder rate, it will jump by the end of this year. But again, Louisville has no where near the crime problem that many similar and larger cities have.

Check out the interactive murder map at Homicide database - The Courier-Journal - Louisville, KY (broken link)

There you can see this year to date - as well as several past years. You'll see the local trends and "hot spots" for such crimes.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 AM

13 posts, read 47,036 times
Hi, I live in southern Indiana appx 30 minutes from Louisville. A great deal of people move to southern Indiana because you can buy more of a house for your money. The east end of Louisville is very busy, lots of traffic. The east end of Clark county is small town rural areas. You may have to drive a little farther to get to the big shopping but the time is the same considering you sit in traffic in Louisville all the time. I worked in Louisville for 8 years and I dont miss the traffic at all. Louisville is a nice, fun place to go, just more expensive there as a rule. Check out southern Indiana and drive across the bridge to work. You will enjoy it more. They are building a few more bridges so it will help with river crossing traffic in the future. The crime and murder rates in southern Indiana are way less. We are on the sunnyside of the river!
Good luck

Old 06-11-2007, 06:17 PM

117 posts, read 472,995 times
90% of Louisville's 60 murders happen in two squares of the West End (West of 9th Street, North of Algonquin Parkway, south of Market Street) The rest of the city is very safe. Morgan Quinto ranked Louisville as the 7th Safest city in 2006

Having read the crime reports in newspaper's for several years, the safest area in the old city limits is either Germantown or Crescent Hill, and the NE part of the suburbs.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,856,135 times
I'm not sure about 90%. Did you read this:
Homicide database - The Courier-Journal - Louisville, KY (http://c-jonline.com/homicides/victims.php?year=2007 - broken link)

Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'm not sure about 90%. Did you read this:
Homicide database - The Courier-Journal - Louisville, KY (http://c-jonline.com/homicides/victims.php?year=2007 - broken link)
A few things about that map. Like any data, you must be able to interpret it to get anything valuable out of the information. There are many causes of homicides. The number one rule of thumb is that there are two main causes of homicides: drug related and domestic. Furthermore, it is a well known fact in criminology that homicides are very rarely random (ie, I go to Walmart and say, hey, I am going to kill someone,and I do not care who it is). Of course these random acts of homicide are the ones that scare us the most (i.e. the Virginia Tech massacre), and most studies have shown that the perpetrators in these crimes show no geoographic predilection. Likewise, women are just as likely to get raped, robbed, and murdered in suburban areas as the inner city.

Much of the homicides in the middle to upper class areas of a region are due to domestic dispute. You know, Johnny gets angry that Sally was cheating on him, and kills her. Also, people who get into relationships with psychiatric or homicidal people are always at risk. In these cases, the killer is almost always known to the victim. As a case in point, a woman's body was found dumped in an upscale park in St. Matthews last week, across from a Jaguar dealership. This obviously a very nice area, but a nurse got involved in a relationship with a young man that was obviously crazy, and he killed her.

Most crime in the inner city in proverty striken areas is drug related. You know, gang problems, territory wars, etc. Those trying to buy drugs or prostitutes are always at an increased risk of becoming a homicide victim. For the average law abiding citizen, it is very low. However, these areas are considered dangerous because there is always a risk of stray bullets. For example, last year, a couple young kids in the povery striken projects were hit by stray bullets (they lived).

So, what the above poster meant to say was that 90% of the county really is safe, and there is only a small fraction where one would need to use caution living.

That said, Louisville has a very low crime rate for its size.The all cause per capita crime index shows that Louisville and Lexington are very similar, and that they both have low crime rates, especially when compared to nearby cities like Cincinnati and Indianapolis. Finally, as a testament to the importance of being able to evaluate stats, it should be noted that tiny Blacksburg, VA would have one of the highest homicide rates right now, but of course the massacre of 30+ people was counted as one event by a sick, deranged individual. I will tell you that these random acts of homicide are so rare that you really should worry much more about dying every time you pull onto the freeway (ESPCIALLY without a seatbelt) than you should be worried about getting murdered.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM

1,833 posts, read 5,752,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleJake View Post
Crime in Louisville is not bad - especially when compared to Nevada! It is a small media market, and murder sells papers and helps ratings. For a city of 700,000 Louisville had only 50 murders in 2006.

Indianapolis, a city of 865,000 had over 150 murders last year.

Cincinnati, a city of 300,000 had 89 murders in 2006.

Reno, a city of 210,000 had 23 murders in 2006. (A higher rate than Louisville's due to population differences)

Las Vegas had over 150 murders in 2006.

The city of North Las Vegas, with a population of 182,000 had 22 murders itself in 2006!

I just wanted to show I am not talking out of pure city boosterism, but that Louisville really really trumps up the crime in news reports for ratings - and because it fills air time.

Now, this year there have been 26 or 27 to date - which is not good - it looks like after several years of a dropping murder rate, it will jump by the end of this year. But again, Louisville has no where near the crime problem that many similar and larger cities have.

Check out the interactive murder map at Homicide database - The Courier-Journal - Louisville, KY (http://c-jonline.com/homicides/victims.php?year=2007 - broken link)

There you can see this year to date - as well as several past years. You'll see the local trends and "hot spots" for such crimes.
The town (I use that term loosely) has never had a murder that anyone recalls. The county I live in has had only 1 murder in the last 20 years. And that was a women that got caught cheatin' and the husband shot her and winged her lover. It was quite the story for around here, for some time.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM

117 posts, read 472,995 times
I've been keeping up with and mapping murders in Louisville for a couple of years and here are the trends:

40-50 In the Russell, Shawnee, & California neighborhoods (combined)
~5 in Shelby Park & Newburg (each)
~5 along Dixie Hwy from Shively to Kosmosdale
~1-2 in Old Louisville
~2 in the entire rest of the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or