U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
163 posts, read 371,317 times
Reputation: 102

Advertisements

Hey ya'll! I grew up in KY, currently living Etown but desperately wanting to move to Louisville. I am fairly familiar with Louisville neighborhoods and want to live in the Highlands/Crescent Hill/St. Matthews area. However, I am having trouble finding a place that meet my minimum criteria (safe area, house/townhouse/condo, 1.5+ baths, 1000+ sq. ft., outside area large enough for a grill) and my maximum rent ($900/mo.). No kids, its just me and my boyfriend and the cat. So, I am wondering whether I should look into Southern Indiana. Now, I'm not thrilled about joining the ranks of the Hoosiers (lol) but I seriously cannot stand living in Etown (dry & boring). But I don't know much about Jeffersonville/New Albany... I guess my biggest concern is the safety as I haven't been able to find a crime map of these areas. Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
Hey ya'll! I grew up in KY, currently living Etown but desperately wanting to move to Louisville. I am fairly familiar with Louisville neighborhoods and want to live in the Highlands/Crescent Hill/St. Matthews area. However, I am having trouble finding a place that meet my minimum criteria (safe area, house/townhouse/condo, 1.5+ baths, 1000+ sq. ft., outside area large enough for a grill) and my maximum rent ($900/mo.). No kids, its just me and my boyfriend and the cat. So, I am wondering whether I should look into Southern Indiana. Now, I'm not thrilled about joining the ranks of the Hoosiers (lol) but I seriously cannot stand living in Etown (dry & boring). But I don't know much about Jeffersonville/New Albany... I guess my biggest concern is the safety as I haven't been able to find a crime map of these areas. Any advice?
Don't limit your options. Look at all urban neighborhoods. There are very few neighborhoods outside the west end that I would call dangerous, with the exception of Newburg and Smoketown. I would look into those areas more, plus Jeff and New Albany, plus Germantown, Old LOuisville, downtown, clifton, beechmont, audubon park.

Try searching craigslist. You can easily find something in that price range in a more urban and safe nabe.

Let me start you

Clifton

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1712527253.html (broken link)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1689915139.html (broken link)

Audubon Park

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1713576222.html (broken link)

Germantown

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

(this is located on the NW edge of the neighborhood. Just a few blocks west across railroad tracks is a not so nice area known as Smoketown, but it is not dangerous, and only 7 blocks from the heart of the Highalnds bar district)

Original Highlands (this screams your name)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1710146746.html (broken link)

Jeffersonville

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1700926308.html (broken link)

(this is more suburban and also corporate apartments whcih I am against but it shows you the space and amenities you get just 10 mins from downtown for much cheaper.


This is only a start. There's a dozen other hoods where you need to look!

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-27-2010 at 08:13 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
163 posts, read 371,317 times
Reputation: 102
thank you stx!

I am definitely open to any neighborhoods east of 65. Maybe I'm just being too picky... But $900 is the absolute max rent I could afford; I would be much more comfortable in the $700-800 range. And the deal breakers on the apts you suggested are the bathrooms (need at least 1.5) and the pet policy.

I have been scouring craigslist and other rental sites and the Courier Journal since January... Do you think my expectations are unrealistic?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
thank you stx!

I am definitely open to any neighborhoods east of 65. Maybe I'm just being too picky... But $900 is the absolute max rent I could afford; I would be much more comfortable in the $700-800 range. And the deal breakers on the apts you suggested are the bathrooms (need at least 1.5) and the pet policy.

I have been scouring craigslist and other rental sites and the Courier Journal since January... Do you think my expectations are unrealistic?
Not at all, keep looking. Are you in the area? Usually the best places are not advertised at all. This is especially true in the Highlands, where a well located and well appointed place rents fast from a for rent sign in the yard. Sometimes you just have to drive around calling the numbers. It takes work, but you end up so much happier in the end.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
 
7 posts, read 9,570 times
Reputation: 11
They are the same.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
 
15 posts, read 15,610 times
Reputation: 11
Like anywhere else, there are nice, safe places, but there are areas you should avoid.
In Clarksville, Indiana I suggest Glenview Apartments.
Jeffersonville, The Woods
New Albany, Prestwick Square, Knobs Pointe Apartments.
Downtown Louisville, Crescent Centre
East End, Countrybrooks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
921 posts, read 1,254,367 times
Reputation: 1200
this thread is almost three years old. jus sayin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM
 
798 posts, read 1,937,921 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntylinda View Post
Like anywhere else, there are nice, safe places, but there are areas you should avoid.
In Clarksville, Indiana I suggest Glenview Apartments.
Jeffersonville, The Woods
New Albany, Prestwick Square, Knobs Pointe Apartments.
Downtown Louisville, Crescent Centre
East End, Countrybrooks
I don't know about all of these places, but Knobs Pointe in New Albany is not a place I would recommend. Besides being old and suffering a major fire some years ago, they are run down and dirty looking. I think someone was also shot in the head in the parking lot there last summer maybe. They've upgraded the club house and it has good views of Louisville, but I wouldn't live there right now.

Crescent Center in louisville is nice
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top