Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 56,311 times

Advertisements

$4600 a month and you can live very well. Look in the Highlands area, especially Orig Highlands or Cherokee Blvd area. Stay out of the 'burbs unless that's your thing. You're too far from the walking-friendly parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:24 PM

And I find Louisville very pet friendly. Leash laws are a bit strict, but I have no problems with that.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Stay out of Indiana... you'll find yourself coming to Louisville every minute. I live in the 40204 zip a very diverse and affordable area within walking distance to theaters, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, post office, library... and you can rent for that price in the neighborhood, but you could also probably buy if you wanted.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,673 times
Default If You Can Afford The Commute....

Try Shelbyville, KY area. Perhaps even Frankfort or Lawrenceburg. Try all you can to avoid living in Louisville. The traffic & the daily political grind will give you ulcers. Speaking of traffic - That was the main reason we didn't become Hoosiers. The Kennedy bridge (I-65) and the 2nd St Bridges between Louisville & Jeffersonville are nightmarish day or night. There are always rear-end collisions in the southbound right lane of the bridge, that snarls everything day or night. And it is being painted and under construction. For this reason alone, avoid living in Southern Indiana if you must work in Louisville daily.
The north end of the city, and Oldham County, must grapple with the I-71 corridor traffic nightmare every day. The traffic is generally at a standstill from I-265 down to I-264 morning and evening. And everyone I know that has lived along this corridor has, at one time or another, been involved in some sort of accident to varying degrees. It is a heavily used highway between Louisville & Cincinnati that has tremendous volumes of truck traffic on it, due to the heavy automotive manufacturing business located between Columbus/Dayton/Louisville, and Nashville. Add that to the population explosion in Oldham County, and you have unimagineable stresses being placed on the I-71 / US 42 Highway corridors. Why the explosion in Oldham ? Because of the tax rates, traffic, crime, and pollution of Louisville. Try SHelbyville or Shelby County.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM

18 posts, read 86,450 times
Thanks to everyone who posted. We got here yesterday and found a nice 3 bed/2 1/2 bath home w/ finished basement in St Matthews that we will sign a lease for tomorrow. It is really a nice area and everyone we have met here so far has been very nice. I like the way all the interstates connect....it has been very easy to get around.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Northern, I like your screen name but can you tell me what it means?
My family and huge extended family and probably a lot of my thinking are from the west (WA, NV, ID, OR, CA, UT) . I've lived in the south for the last 15 years and love it, but there are some cultural differences and I've sometiems wished each state came with an owner's manual.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernGirlSouthernWorld View Post
My family and huge extended family and probably a lot of my thinking are from the west (WA, NV, ID, OR, CA, UT) . I've lived in the south for the last 15 years and love it, but there are some cultural differences and I've sometiems wished each state came with an owner's manual.
Thank you for answering! Where in the South have you lived and what are the major differences?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 38,248 times
I know i keep harping about how good St. Matthews is, but as an outsider, it is really that nice, everyone keeps their yard in great shape, nice little library and stores are close.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 12,909 times
check out: TheMagnoliaBSM - The MAGNOLIA Luxury Living in Old Louisville

The Magnolia is a wonderful place to live. BRAND NEW in Old Louisville...let me know if you want to have a look when you arrive in town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area