U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:16 PM

437 posts, read 815,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
TxDOT doesn't have the budget for being proactive anymore. It can barely maintain current roads. Watch this turn into a toll project. Between inflation and much-improved fuel efficiency in cars, that $0.20 per gallon (set in 1993) doesn't go nearly as far as it used to.
No doubt that's true, but it seems like it will be exponentially more expensive than buying it up while it's still vacant land.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 AM
Status: "Got my first COVID vaccine shot." (set 4 days ago)

50,377 posts, read 40,453,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Has anyone been down FM 1585 lately? Businesses and shopping centers are springing up along each side. So my question is.....what's going to happen to all that new construction? And since TxDot knows where they want to build, shouldn't they be out acquiring rights-of-way now so that they don't have to pay to buy up all those new businesses and demolish the buildings?
Well, you'd think they'd have a plan for it. I'm just surprised they didn't use 146th Street for the actual alignment and leave 1585 as a big side street, which probably would have worked better. Nonetheless, 1585 is getting its makeover. Lubbock and TXDOT will need to work together and they're going to have to plan the smart way for this undertaking to work right.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthredskin View Post
I like your initial idea about the outer loop and/or expressway reach out towards New Deal. I feel it would promote growth in that area and make it easier for northern Lubbock country to access other parts of the city without having to hit I-27, then Loop 289..ect. With downtown getting its much-needed facelift and possible growth there and the obvious growth in the southwest part of the city, I'm glad TX-DOT is being proactive.
Lubbock, too, for that matter. Connecting the southeast side (and that includes Slaton to the south), Woodrow, Wolfforth, the Reese area, Shallowater, the Broadview area, and New Deal creates a whole new opportunity, not only to create better mobility for the outlying areas, but also to initiate bigger opportunities (and a specific thoroughfare plan) for businesses, shops, restaurants, hotels, and new residents along the road's path. And it's also helping to get better access to and from different parts of Lubbock.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategdh View Post
I don't see Lubbocks growth stopping anytime soon. I think it will always continue to grow 3000- 4000 ppl a year. I agree, we don't need another loop now but it's always best to plan for the future. Lubbocks traffic isn't a problem because the have always planned ahead just like they are about this project.
I totally agree with this. The city and TxDot seemed to have worked together well and been proactive. I love that Lubbock is so easy to navigate and there's not the congestion you have to deal with in some other growing cities.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:46 PM

There's a new name for the new outer belt. Lubbock, meet State Loop 88.

City to rename part of 1585, Outer Loop to be called Loop 88 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Status: "Getting through the getting through part.." (set 4 days ago)

4,190 posts, read 3,033,745 times
That's going to be a boon to Lubbock once that gets going. Pretty wild considering it's still a small city and with still only one interstate serving the area. Isn't Lubbock going to be the only West Texas city with two loops?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
That's going to be a boon to Lubbock once that gets going. Pretty wild considering it's still a small city and with still only one interstate serving the area. Isn't Lubbock going to be the only West Texas city with two loops?
Out of the cities in West Texas, yes. Out of the major cities in our state, Lubbock is just the fourth city to have this feature, with the current Loop 289 serving as the "inner" loop, and Loop 88 becoming the outer. With more freeway miles planned (inside and outside of this project), Lubbock will eventually have a true arterial system.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:24 AM

2,110 posts, read 3,367,354 times
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here (I think) is that the Marsha Sharp Frwy is already being widened after only eight or so years (from four to six lanes). Some people thought it was a waste when it was built, but I don't think you hear that sentiment much these days.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:43 PM

22,337 posts, read 6,075,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Out of the cities in West Texas, yes. Out of the major cities in our state, Lubbock is just the fourth city to have this feature, with the current Loop 289 serving as the "inner" loop, and Loop 88 becoming the outer. With more freeway miles planned (inside and outside of this project), Lubbock will eventually have a true arterial system.
I would not say Lubbock is a major city in the state of Texas.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:17 PM

[quote=C24L;47774242]I would not say Lubbock is a major city in the state

What number of cities would you call "major" to the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock