Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm thinking of relocating to Lubbock from Salt Lake City. I've been looking at real estate sites online and have found TONS of great houses. I LOVE newer houses with their great floor plans and wonderful amenities, but my heart always wants to go with an older house with character. I'd like a house in a GREAT neighborhood with established trees, low traffic, decent yard. Some of my favorities have been closer to Texas Tech -- around 20th to 27th? I assume the streets run in a straight grid, the lower numbers being closer to town? Or something like that?? My parents are also coming down -- they're 85 and 93, but mom's originally from Texas (Commerce) and wants to go back. Low crime areas are obviously a plus, too. I can afford about $200,000 and mom doesn't want to go more than $350,000. Can we find something? Any info you can give me on great neighborhoods, traffic, areas to avoid, would be much appreciated. I know people talk about college kids, but here in Salt Lake, some of the best neighborhoods are right around the university. Any info is greatly appreciated!!! Also, I still have to work -- Can I get a job there? I'm a legal secretary/paralegal and I know lawyers are pretty much everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:32 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,539,098 times
$200,000 will get a great house in Lubbock, and $350,000 is close to top of the line. It sounds like Tech Terrace (the neighborhood bound by 19th, University, 34th, and Indiana) would be great for you, and those are probably the houses you are finding that you like so well. The neighborhood has quite a few college kids, but the neighborhood residents keep a close watch and make sure they don't get out of control. There tend to be less college kids and nicer houses in the northern/northwestern part of the neighborhood. It's my favorite neighborhood in Lubbock because there are so many different types of people there, ranging from retirees to young families to college kids. There are always people biking or walking about, and it's close to quite a few local businesses, even having a few shops within the neighborhood.

In general, everything west of University is safe and nice, and anything around 200K is going to be very nice. Other areas you might want to look into are Melonie Park and Rush. Melonie Park is bound by 50th, Indiana, Loop 289, and Quaker. The homes were built from the 50s to the 70s, and it's quite nice, with parks and plenty of greenery. Same with Rush, which the area around 19th and Quaker.

Lubbock has a high concentration of professionals and lawyers for a city its size, and the economy is in better shape than most of the nation, but it could still be difficult to find a job.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,180 times
Thanks so much for all the great info! I'm glad the area I like is one of the good ones. It's hard to tell looking at pictures online.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM

149 posts, read 356,176 times
Westerner is right, Tech Terrace is probably one of the jewels of Lubbock. You can find a lot of house in Lubbock for less than $200K. My grandparents house in Bender Terrace sold for $99K two years ago. What a wonderful neighborhood. Even though there's no mountains in Lubbock except for the I27 overpass like SLC, you're going to love it there. There's almost no crime and really no expansion of neighborhoods like the Mountains. Lubbock is a pretty quiet town. Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock