Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM

22 posts, read 56,361 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My family and I are considering to relocate from Edinburg, Texas (McAllen) to Lubbock, Texas. I have a 14 year old and a 2 year old, both boys, and we want the best home enviorment for them. We didn't have good experience in Edinburg. What is the safest and nicest area to live in Lbk and what are some good high schools? What are the people and kids like here? How is the economy here? and are a 3 bedroom.2 bath home affordable? Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM

15,442 posts, read 21,254,582 times
I have a small farm some 30 miles NE of Lubbock but I believe the best parts of Lubbock are still in the SW. I had a home near Slide and 96th but that was some three decades ago. Back then, that was the end of town. Not so now.

There are some folks on here that know Lubbock extremely well and are more in tune with the current structure and economics of the City. I'm sure they will be along shortly. At any rate, best of luck in your planning.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,537,085 times
As long as you stay west of University, you have nothing to worry about. A 3/2 will run you anything from about 80K to 150K, depending on the age, neighborhood, and amenities. The schools are generally quite good, and of the high schools in town, I'd recommend Lubbock High's magnet program first, Coronado second, then Frenship and Cooper. I would avoid Monterey if possible not because it's terrible, but because the other high schools are better. There are a lot of great neighborhoods in its attendance zone though, so you could transfer fairly easy to Lubbock High or Coronado.

The kids aren't any different than those from anywhere else really. Lubbock High has a more academically focused, diverse, and open-minded student body than the other high schools (thus my recommendation).

The economy is sluggish just like it is everywhere else, but it's faring better than average because its industries are fairly resilient and not prone to booms or busts.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM

437 posts, read 920,631 times
The Southwest area is the nicest. A quick search of that part of the city on Realtor.com will give you a good idea of prices. Frenship and Cooper school districts are the "hot" districts to be in right now. Cooper is substantially smaller than Frenship. Best of luck in your search!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,799 times
I have lived in Lubbock for most of my life and raised kids here. Lubbock is a great place to raise a family. It's not too big or too small. My wife and I graduated from Coronado High School as did all three of our girls. I graduated from Texas Tech as did two of my girls, and my wife and other daughter graduated from LCU. I believe all of the Lubbock High schools are good including Frenship and Cooper which are not in Lubbock but they serve areas of Lubbock. We have Texas Tech, Lubbock Christian University and also Wayland Baptist University and South Plains College campuses. I would say that the Lubbock economy is better than a lot of other places and housing prices are very good for buyers right now. The people are friendly and we have great medical facilities and shopping.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 PM

10 posts, read 20,574 times
I'd recommend looking at south central Lubbock. Lubbock-Cooper is one of the most desired districts in the area. It's a 3-A school with strong academics. Friendship ISD and Lubbock High of Lubbock ISD are the other options, but as far as where the local people are trying to get their kids, it's Friendship (4-A) and Cooper...

Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM

536 posts, read 955,230 times
Smile On the fence about where to move to in Texas

I know that most of these posts are older, but I wanted to ask about Lubbock area. We are looking at Texas as a place to live and then retire. From what I have read the SW area of Lubbock is nice. What about rual areas outside of the city? If I wanted to live about 20 miles or so outside the area, what would you suggest amoung the small towns? I'm looking at city data, and the crime seems a little high, but the population is larger too. Also it shows that winds are high. Does it get very windy there?(0ften) I went on a site to look up property taxes and to my surprise most of Texas is very high on that. But yet the cost of living is listed as low. Lubbock has higher property taxes that a lot of areas in Texas. San Angelo is the other city we are looking into. The property taxes are lower there, and cost of living is about the same. But it seems to be more isolated. I do want the West side of Texas because it's dryer, but still on the fence as to exactly where. Actually the first city I looked into is in the east, Nacogdoches. It seems to be retiree friendly, however, I will be working for awhile when we first move to Texas so need an area I could find a job in. Plus, I don't know if I could stand the humidity that is in the east. I love hot weather though, but high humidity can be a bit much. I have written to so many chambers of Commerce in several cities in the state, from east to west to south. Sometimes it just makes it more confusing. I've sort of narrowed my search now to San Angelo and Lubbock. Possibly inbetween the two. So basically looking for a nice area to eventually retire, but still need to work. Has shopping, good churches and friendly people. Great places to eat, and easy access to other areas. Hopefully a place near a major airport or not too far of a drive to get to one. Would love an area that has nice parks to walk in and maybe lakes near by to kayak in. Lower humidity/dryer weather, and mild winters. I'm sure Lubbock gets colder than San Angelo in the winter, but I've read it's still fairly mild there. We get more ice/snow here near Cincinnati.

Anyway, sorry to be so long here.
Thank you!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,537,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
I know that most of these posts are older, but I wanted to ask about Lubbock area. We are looking at Texas as a place to live and then retire. From what I have read the SW area of Lubbock is nice. What about rual areas outside of the city? If I wanted to live about 20 miles or so outside the area, what would you suggest amoung the small towns? I'm looking at city data, and the crime seems a little high, but the population is larger too. Also it shows that winds are high. Does it get very windy there?(0ften) I went on a site to look up property taxes and to my surprise most of Texas is very high on that. But yet the cost of living is listed as low. Lubbock has higher property taxes that a lot of areas in Texas. San Angelo is the other city we are looking into. The property taxes are lower there, and cost of living is about the same. But it seems to be more isolated. I do want the West side of Texas because it's dryer, but still on the fence as to exactly where. Actually the first city I looked into is in the east, Nacogdoches. It seems to be retiree friendly, however, I will be working for awhile when we first move to Texas so need an area I could find a job in. Plus, I don't know if I could stand the humidity that is in the east. I love hot weather though, but high humidity can be a bit much. I have written to so many chambers of Commerce in several cities in the state, from east to west to south. Sometimes it just makes it more confusing. I've sort of narrowed my search now to San Angelo and Lubbock. Possibly inbetween the two. So basically looking for a nice area to eventually retire, but still need to work. Has shopping, good churches and friendly people. Great places to eat, and easy access to other areas. Hopefully a place near a major airport or not too far of a drive to get to one. Would love an area that has nice parks to walk in and maybe lakes near by to kayak in. Lower humidity/dryer weather, and mild winters. I'm sure Lubbock gets colder than San Angelo in the winter, but I've read it's still fairly mild there. We get more ice/snow here near Cincinnati.

Anyway, sorry to be so long here.
Thank you!
There are a few small towns that you might like. Shallowater, Ropesville, New Home, and Abernathy seem nicer than the average small Texas town. Lubbock is quite windy, no getting around it. It'll be annoyingly windy for weeks on end in spring, but the rest of the year, it's usually more pleasant than annoying.

San Angelo strikes me as being more retiree friendly than Lubbock. For your requirements, Lubbock wins in the shopping, dining, airport, job market, and general amenities. San Angelo wins in lakes and rivers, mild winters, and scenery, though Lubbock might have a better park system because it has a large park with a lake (not sure if you'd want to kayak in them) in most neighborhoods. Both are full of churches and nice people.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:52 AM

536 posts, read 955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
There are a few small towns that you might like. Shallowater, Ropesville, New Home, and Abernathy seem nicer than the average small Texas town. Lubbock is quite windy, no getting around it. It'll be annoyingly windy for weeks on end in spring, but the rest of the year, it's usually more pleasant than annoying.

San Angelo strikes me as being more retiree friendly than Lubbock. For your requirements, Lubbock wins in the shopping, dining, airport, job market, and general amenities. San Angelo wins in lakes and rivers, mild winters, and scenery, though Lubbock might have a better park system because it has a large park with a lake (not sure if you'd want to kayak in them) in most neighborhoods. Both are full of churches and nice people.

Thank you very much Westerner92 for the information!!! This has all been very helpful in my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock