U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,303,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I can appreciate what you're saying. I've always thought I wanted at least a few small hills and trees, lots and lots of trees. We bought what we thought was going to be our future retirement place right smack in the middle of thick woods. What we got - scorpions, snakes, wasps, and no breeze. Beautiful but each type of scenery has it's own set of drawbacks. My grandmother always preferred the flat plains area of Texas. She wanted to look and see the sunset every day, and to be able to see the lights from the next small town 5 or 10 miles away.
Good post!

You very definitely get used to the wide open spaces!

As a native of West Texas (but not the South Plains portion of it), I grew up in an area that is rocky, somewhat hilly and dotted with mesquite/juniper/oak, etc.....yet the area was still wide open and the horizon went on forever.

When I am in an area with a lot of tree cover, I feel smothered and closed-in--I got that feeling in East Texas, especially, and all points east of there..and I also don't like heavy forestation and cover in the western mountain areas, either. It's just claustrophobic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM

2,370 posts, read 2,398,573 times
i dont like heavily wooded areas either

Old 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,008,149 times
I thought Lubbock was a great place to go to school - no question I'd take it over UT-A or UT-D, and it's a toss up between UT. I chose TTU for the cost vs. UT. Don't have an Aggie mindset so I can't even compare. Lubbock itself isn't a great city and does have an occasional bad smell due to the feed lots, but it's good enough and it's closer to skiing and other winter activities than Austin or College Station are. And I loved the weather. The spring storms blowing in were awesome.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM

4,645 posts, read 6,437,770 times
The problem with UTA and UTD, in contrast to Tech, is that they are so heavily commuter schools. And UTA is horribly ugly with its collection of bad late Soviet architecture.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM

62 posts, read 74,472 times
I almost went to Texas Tech and checked out Lubbock. Coming from the Bay Area, the flat landscape was much different than what I was used to, but I thought the campus was really nice and all the people I met were friendly. The main college strip with restaurants, bars and stores is nearby and easy to navigate, and there were a lot of cute houses and apartments around.

Granted, I was only there for a visit and didn't spend significant time there, but it seems like a fine place to go to school. It is indeed far away from the major cities and apparently they don't have sewers/drainage, but if you can deal with that, it would definitely be a school to look into.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,927,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
and apparently they don't have sewers/drainage
Huh?!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:24 PM

587 posts, read 531,392 times
Hey Westerner, I guess they forgot to tell you *NOT* to flush your toilet, what with the lack of sewers and all... hahahaha

There are plenty of sewers in Lubbock. Matter of fact, there is an entire sewer network that works fairly well, even for city of it's size.

As for drainage, there is plenty of sewer network for it, most days. Heavy rain days, it does not work as well as some folks might hope, but the city spent a gob of money on drainage a few years ago. It is better than the old drainage system, which consisted mainly of Citybus splashing all the water on the grass as they drove past..... Remember a political cartoon drawn in the early 80's in the University Daily showing exactly that.

As for living in Lubbock, and attending TT, I would certainly endorse the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock