U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 PM

4 posts, read 17,639 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all! First time post, so bear with me as I realize this has been somewhat covered before; but not exactly. I have recently transferred to Texas Tech University and am currently an online student only. However, as of March 23rd I am officially in their nursing program and will be moving up there from my small town, an hour outside of Houston, this summer. Considering that my brother and I will be living there for easily 5+ years we are avoiding the lack of return on renting and looking into ownership, with possible rental in the future.

Here is the rub, I am concerned with safety and confused about which areas are dangerous. Its been mentioned to avoid everything east, south-east, and south of the university... That's a lot of territory, most of our price range, and includes many of my favorite estates in the Overton, Tech Terrace, and Heart of Lubbock neighborhoods. We have not seen much advise on Stubbs-Stewart, Wheelock and Montgomery, or Bayless-Atkins. We are both in our early-mid 20's, "non-partiers", and are looking for a 2-3 bedroom home with a budget of < $75,000. I am a sucker for bungalows and built-ins, so older homes are non-issues, nor is minor re-modeling. We visited the town last June, and loved it. I cannot wait to get back this June and be settling in for the fall semester by July.

So bottom line: Are Overton and The Heart of Lubbock dreams I need to give up? The higher the street number the better? Any up-to-date advise on Lubbock is much appreciated.

Here are some listing of interest I've been looking:
1907 23rd Street, Lubbock TX | MLS# 9985784 - Trulia
4315 42nd Street, Lubbock TX | MLS# 9985504 - Trulia
6102 Sherman Avenue, Lubbock TX | MLS# 9973137 - Trulia
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 49,033 times
The hotspots of Lubbock right now are the Northwest and Southwest...But as I am reading..I see you want to be closer to Tech... North Overton is pretty nice...and I would also prefer checking out Tech Terrace aswell. I dont know much about the area around Tech but those two are the best in my opinion

Any up to date advice would be that Lubbock itself is a growing city and a project is in place to help downtown get out of its stump its in..The new Marsha Sharp Freeway (Easier to get from SW Lubbock to I27) will be finished this year and and new IMAX 3D theater is being built right next to South Plains Mall. Great place for restraunts, shopping, and many Tech events aswell. The people are very friendly but conservative. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,315,858 times
Tech Terrace is an old, lovely (for Lubbock) neighborhood with a nice central park and a good number of trees (for Lubbock) and borders 19th Street to the north, thus in immediate proximity to Tech. It's actually my favorite old neighborhood in Lubbock. It's also slightly (ever so slightly) rolling terrain, which is a plus in the Hub. Probably fairly pricey real estate prices these days by Lubbock standards, I would think.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,121,981 times
If you were my daughter (I have two daughters in their early 20's living in Lubbock), here is my advice. Worth what you paid for it, of course....

Quote:
1907 23rd Street
Don't live here.
Quote:
4315 42nd Street
Close to a busy through street (Quaker), but the neighborhood is fair. There will be many renters however, which is likely to lower the quality of life in this neighborhood. It is very conveniently located though.
Quote:
6102 Sherman Avenue
Another fair neighborhood, that will be full of renters. Offset by the closeness of several parks.

Stay out of the Heart of Lubbock neighborhood, it is too close (IMO) to unsavory behaviors. The other two are not going to be as safe as nicer/newer areas of Lubbock. That said, one of my many friends still in Lubbock lives in a neighborhood next door to a home I lived in years ago. It was a place I considered plenty safe then, but car/home burglaries have gotten out of hand the last couple of years.

With your budget, I don't know of a real safe area to buy a home in, but you might try this for some better info: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I like Lubbock, so I could be a little biased.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,492,937 times
I'm not sure where you heard that south of Tech is dangerous. Tech Terrace is definitely a great neighborhood. Arnett-Benson north of Tech is the one to avoid.

The Heart of Lubbock is a very mixed bag. There's everything from historic mansions to crumbling shacks. It has signs of gentrification, but at the same time, some of the riff-raff that was pushed out of North Overton went down there. In South Overton, your neighbors will be mostly college students with a few sketchy people, but it's livable. The western part of the neighborhood is better kept.

The house on 42nd is a decent neighborhood. Not the prettiest of places, but definitely safe. I would avoid the house on Sherman for sure though. Most of the drug runners pushed out of North Overton when it was revitalized went there, so that area has really gone downhill in recent years. Oddly enough though, the area just a few blocks west of Avenue U is fine.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

losttechnician - You are exactly who I was hoping would respond! Thank you. No one quite understand like a parent, right?

doctorjef - Tech Terrace being pricey? You bet! The homes are lovely though... If only my whole family were coming. Haha. Anyways, I began searching again using their zip code in hopes of finding something safe and affordable. Maxey Park came up which is west of Tech Terrace and Indiana Avenue. The crime can still be found, but not at the neighbor's house

bK1D - Thanks for the info about the town's updates! Pretty sure my brother and I will be checking out the new theater.

Westerner92 - Had hopes you would show up as well. I appreciate the heads up about the Sherman area. The fact that the Heart of Lubbock is a "mixed bag" makes me nervous as a buyer, I just don't know the neighborhood enough to make such a call.

Last edited by LittleMissRedRaider; 04-09-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 06:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,315,858 times
There used to be some nice middle-middle class streets east of Maxey Park. There were also some less nice streets as you got closer to 34th Street. The blocks relatively closer to 19th tended to be in better shape, perhaps especially between Memphis and Indiana on the west-east axis, and 19th and about 26th or so on the south-north axis. I really don't know what it might be like now. On the opposite side of Maxey Park/Quaker Ave, the neighborhood immediately around Coronado HS was fine too. Farther out, the neighborhood between Quaker all the way up to Slide Rd and 19th north to at least around 7th has some very nice housing stock that was largely built between the 1950s and 1970s. The same east-west boundaries on the opposite side of 19th contain some very nice housing, dating more back to the 1940s. There are many large, pricey houses, but there are also some streets running off the most expensive streets that contain far more modest homes. West of Slide Rd in the same area also has some decent housing that would be less expensive. I would consider all this to be quite centrally located. I'm assuming you are looking at central Lubbock and not newer neighborhoods farther out (you may have stated this, but I can't recall now without going back and reviewing the OP -- seems like the search was concentrating on close-in neighborhoods).

Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Between Memphis and Indiana, but closer to 19th is exactly where I found about 3 more properties. Of course this is not without bumping up my budget, but perhaps they will come down some. Considering that is not a large girth of homes I am going to start reviewing apartments, just in case.

There is no better opinions than those who have been there longer than 3 days in June, haha. Thank you doctorjef, these details make me feel less eerie and like I am on the right track.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM

679 posts, read 1,121,981 times
Best of luck to you in your search, but even if you do end up in an apartment, it won't be a total loss, if you look at the short time you will be living there. After taxes, insurance, maintenance, closing costs etc.... You might not be out too much more money staying in an apartment.

As I said, I really like Lubbock, and bet you will too!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,612 times
you might want to look at the area off Quaker, the NW Loop and Erskine Avenue close to the Wayland Baptist Lubbock Campus. Its a little bit newer neighboorhood with houses from the early 90's with easy access to parking at TTU via 4th and the Texas Tech Parkway. If you could find something there to fix up as you live there it could be a good financial move. Here's a couple examples, more just to show you the neighboorhood i'm talking about then to recommend them specifically:

4527 Marshall St, Lubbock, TX 79416
4427 Jarvis Ave, Lubbock, TX 79416

Also, if you need some help call Dan Williams with Westmark Realtors, I've used him to help me buy 2 houses and sell 1 in the last 5 years and he is great. He did the House Hunters show on HGTV last year for Lubbock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or