U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,139 times
Default Lubbock Relocation

Hello,

My family and I are moving to Lubbock, Texas from Brownsville, Texas at the end of May this year and we are trying to search for the best place to rent a home. Schools are a huge issue because we want our sons (14 and 2) to have the greatest educational enviornment aswell as a friendly atmosphere. We are looking in to Monterey HS or Lubbock HS for our oldest son because we have been told they are great in academics. As for a home to rent, we dont want to spend more than $1,700 a month and a modern home w/ 3 bed 2 bath would be preferred. For now we will be staying with my an-laws who live in North Lubbock until we can get back on our feet. Any other tips on the city would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 861 times
I too am relocating back to Lubbock from Oklahoma. My wife and I researched the better areas of Lubbock and just like in the 90's the higher number streets ( 66th and higher to 103rd) have neighborhoods that contain executive, upscale and upper middle class neighborhoods.

Monterrey is a good public school but most like Lubbock Christian. Now would be a good time to check on scholarship assistance there.

Good luck on your move.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 AM

4,643 posts, read 1,512,125 times
Your best bet is probably the private schools. If you want public, from what I hear you want southwest side or way south side. That means Lubbock Cooper schools or Friendship school system. Be careful though to check what exactly are the school system boundaries. I live farther south than 66th street and I am still in the Lubbock school system.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,699,993 times
Don't send your kid to Monterey if you can avoid it. Whoever told you they have good academics has outdated information. If he's academically focused and in all AP/IB classes, transfer him to Lubbock High. The magnet program there is truly one of the best high school educations you can get outside of the major four metros of Texas. If academics aren't exactly his strong suit, send him to Coronado, Frenship, or Cooper. They are good schools with solid academics. The private schools that go up to the high school (Lubbock Christian, Christ the King, Trinity) level are jokes.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Don't send your kid to Monterey if you can avoid it. Whoever told you they have good academics has outdated information. If he's academically focused and in all AP/IB classes, transfer him to Lubbock High. The magnet program there is truly one of the best high school educations you can get outside of the major four metros of Texas. If academics aren't exactly his strong suit, send him to Coronado, Frenship, or Cooper. They are good schools with solid academics. The private schools that go up to the high school (Lubbock Christian, Christ the King, Trinity) level are jokes.

I guess we will scratch Monterey off our list. I do recall people claiming monterey was not well in academics and considered 'ghetto' which we do not want our son to be introduced to again. We heard extravagant comments on frenship and cooper districts, so we narrowed our search down to just those two schools. My son is what he classifies himself as a 'prep-jock' whatever that means..which school would he 'fit in' the best?

Also, is it true the republican party is very dominant in the area? We are republican and coming from a democratic town. I think it would be great to be surrounded by people who share the same political views as us.

Thanks for your input Westerner

Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,071,211 times
lubbock is republican

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 05-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: rewording

Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 AM

2,403 posts, read 3,699,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon1297 View Post
I guess we will scratch Monterey off our list. I do recall people claiming monterey was not well in academics and considered 'ghetto' which we do not want our son to be introduced to again. We heard extravagant comments on frenship and cooper districts, so we narrowed our search down to just those two schools. My son is what he classifies himself as a 'prep-jock' whatever that means..which school would he 'fit in' the best?

Also, is it true the republican party is very dominant in the area? We are republican and coming from a democratic town. I think it would be great to be surrounded by people who share the same political views as us.

Thanks for your input Westerner
Prep-jock? I'm not exactly familiar with the term, but Coronado, Frenship, and Cooper definitely sound like they'd be great fits for that. All three schools have attendance zones that have a few wealthy neighborhoods, but mostly middle to upper middle class with a little bit of a lower class. Lubbock really isn't large enough to have large swaths of socioeconomic homogeneity. Cooper still has many characteristics of a rural school, but it's increasingly becoming a suburban school. Frenship is largely a suburban type school.

Aside from Provo, Utah, Lubbock is the most Republican city over 100,000.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 5,995,402 times
I went to Coronado about a million years ago, in the Triasic or Cretacious period -- forget which. The "honors" classes (academically accelerated or more demanding) were IMO pretty good. I did honors English, and can contrast that with the regular English classes, as I was in one of those for the first month or so of my 10th grade year when we had first moved there and didn't know about their honors classes. The regular English class was extremely simple and undemanding -- no challenge whatsoever. They also offered an honors class in American History, which I did not do for some reason. They had good electives such as World Literature, Sociology, Psychology, and a few advanced sciences and math courses, and at the time Latin, German, French and Spanish for languages. I'd say they were a pretty decent public high school, with just a few faculty members who were dysfunctional and unmotivated. This was in the early 1970s, so things could be quite different now.

I should add that I also had some exposure to Lubbock Christian, which is the high school loosely associated with what is now Lubbock Christian University (Church of Christ). Back in the day, it was possible to get all of one's senior year requirements by going to two summer sessions at LCHS as a transfer student after one's junior year in public school. You did senior English, Texas history and government, American government, and Old and New Testament (not a normal requirement for high school in Texas, obviously, but something LCHS required). Thus you could graduate a year early and go on to college. I did this following my junior year at Coronado. I would say the teachers at LCHS were well meaning and competent. Summer school is never IME a good index of instruction in the regular academic year, as things are always rather rushed. However, I think they did a decent job of instruction over the course of two summer terms of 6 weeks each, and it seems to me that generally speaks well for the school at that time. They did not have a very impressive physical facility in those days - adequate but small and a bit spartan; likely that has changed in the intervening 40 years!

Last edited by doctorjef; 05-22-2012 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,071,211 times
so Westerner92, is Lubbock more conservative than Midland?Just wondering

Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

4,598 posts, read 5,995,402 times
I think historically Lubbock may be more socially/religiously conservative than Midland. Midland, I believe, has had freer sale of alcohol than Lubbock, for instance, at least historically. Lubbock has historically been more dominated by the Baptists and Church of Christ than Midland, I think. Midland is conservative in terms of big money conservatism. Lubbock conservatism is both more deeply and broadly rooted than in Midland and less reflective of social class and plutocracy. However, paradoxically, Lubbock may have more ideological diversity because of the Texas Tech academic community -- however, they represent a small minority, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock