U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM

141 posts, read 234,956 times

Advertisements

I went to Wells Fargo the other day to open up a new account and got a chance to ask the the banker about how business in the area was. She said they have been financing a lot of people who are buying oil transporting trucks. She also said that Lubbock might be the new hot spot for oil along with Midland/ Odessa.

It got me thinking so I called my friend who works in Odessa and he said it was true and if it booms, Lubbock will add 100,000 people in 5-10 years ( which is a lot for a city that is only 240,000)

I think this is great news but oil brings the boom/ bust cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 PM

2,416 posts, read 3,925,298 times
The only places I can think of that have notable oil in the South Plains area are around Denver City and Post, so I don't really think an oil boom is in the works, which IMO is a good thing. That said, Lubbock is the finance center for West Texas and Eastern New Mexico, so the booms in the Permian Basin and upper Panhandle have certainly been good for Lubbock.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:54 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,753,900 times
Doesn"t the Levelland area (Hockley Co.) have significant oil?

I've read internet chatter about a possible boom in Lubbock, but I guess until it happens, one has the right to be skeptical. Last week, I saw something about a "hit" in the county, but nothing in the news about it.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM

2,651 posts, read 2,621,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Doesn"t the Levelland area (Hockley Co.) have significant oil?
There are hundreds of gas wells in the immediate Levalland vicinity. Not sure how many oil wells. Most of the current boom is enhanced gas production so it stands to reason that the Lubbock area could well be seeing a boom in activity. It's very easy to pick out the well fields in the panhandle by zooming in using Google Maps on a particular area. Looks like a bunch of white dots connected by a spiderweb of service roads. Oftentimes gas (and oil) wells are found within irrigated and cultivated farm lands.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

3,492 posts, read 3,213,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
There are hundreds of gas wells in the immediate Levalland vicinity. Not sure how many oil wells. Most of the current boom is enhanced gas production so it stands to reason that the Lubbock area could well be seeing a boom in activity. It's very easy to pick out the well fields in the panhandle by zooming in using Google Maps on a particular area. Looks like a bunch of white dots connected by a spiderweb of service roads. Oftentimes gas (and oil) wells are found within irrigated and cultivated farm lands.

You should be able to distingish between some gas and oil wells. Gas isnt containable in a tank while oil is. The issue is some heavy gas produces enough oil to have a tank to store it prior to shipping.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM

7,467 posts, read 7,327,586 times
Lubbock already ranks # 9 on the Forbes "Best Small Cities for Jobs" list.

Lubbock ranks on list of best cities for jobs

A few more oil-related jobs couldn't hurt.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM

5,154 posts, read 2,023,331 times
I met an oil field worker that claimed that a lot of drilling will soon begin in the Lubbock area. The estimate was for an additional 4000 wells to be drilled in this area, southeast of Lubbock, towards Post. That's all I know. I've driven around Lubbock County recently, and could only find 4 active rigs. But, that's a lot more than usual. So there could be something to it, but I doubt 100,000 jobs. It could be more towards Levelland, as I have noticed several new wells on the east side of town, that were never there before. Time will tell.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM

7,467 posts, read 7,327,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I met an oil field worker that claimed that a lot of drilling will soon begin in the Lubbock area.
We're still waiting for Tri-Global's 130 wind turbine farm in far SW Hale County. They still have their meteorolgical stations bringing in data but it's about time, according to their original schedule, to start building generators.

I guess time will tell for the future of both oil and wind energy around Lubbock.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM

2,651 posts, read 2,621,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You should be able to distingish between some gas and oil wells. Gas isnt containable in a tank while oil is.
Tanks on the well site don't tell the story since most gas wells also produce a certain amount of liquid/distillates that are collected in storage vessels. Oil wells, OTOH, usually have a "gathering system" of pipes that pipe the crude to centralized storage that is often not on the actual well site.

But gas wells don't have walking beams. So depending on the web map resolution and the time of day, walking beams are easy to discern by their shadow.

Looking just north of Lubbock city limits one can see a few oil wells marked by walking beams so there is definitely potential there for future finds or secondary recovery using "fracking" and other recent technology.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 PM

5,154 posts, read 2,023,331 times
High Plains Retired: I had heard that further devolopment in wind turbines was at a standstill now. I haven't seen new ones go up in a while. But I can't say I have any direct knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock