Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM

32 posts, read 112,197 times

Advertisements

Here in Amman Jordan it snows and I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. 10-12 inches fell in 2 days. I heard it gets cold in Lubbock but there isn't much precipitation; meaning there wouldn't be much snow!

Is that the case or does Lubbock occasionally get a surprising 10 inches in one storm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Both Lubbock and even Midland to the south can get a very occasional 10 inches in one storm, but that doesn't happen that often.

But Lubbock does get snow periodically every winter, and it's rare to not have at least one snowfall a winter. I loved my time there, and enjoyed the cold and snow!

Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times
it snows in lubbock

Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,569,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
it snows in lubbock
I will also attest to this fact.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Yeehaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017
Both Lubbock and even Midland to the south can get a very occasional 10 inches in one storm,
I hope so... the average precipitation per month is very small though Special thing is that it has an average precipitation per summer months... which is weird to Jordan. Here we get way more than Lubbock in the winter but nothing in summer. Akh I guess I am just obsessed with snow.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM

748 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Positively snows in Lubbock. Some years not very many times, some years a bunch of times, but all in all it is few and far between that it snows a bunch at once. Ice storms more often, but in either case it is usually all melted off in a few days.

Many years it rains a little each month, some years (like last year) it rains none at all, hence the average monthly precip. All in all, Lubbock's weather is very mild most of the year and very enjoyable. Spring always has wind, fall does occasionally. There are always some weeks mid-late summer that are serious hot, and always a few days mid winter that are extremely cold, but overall the weather is easy to live in.

If you want snow, many years you can drive to Ruidoso New Mexico and do some snow skiing during the winter. Best thing about the snow there, is you can leave it behind when you come home to Lubbock.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician
Positively snows in Lubbock. Some years not very many times, some years a bunch of times, but all in all it is few and far between that it snows a bunch at once. Ice storms more often, but in either case it is usually all melted off in a few days.

Many years it rains a little each month, some years (like last year) it rains none at all, hence the average monthly precip. All in all, Lubbock's weather is very mild most of the year and very enjoyable. Spring always has wind, fall does occasionally. There are always some weeks mid-late summer that are serious hot, and always a few days mid winter that are extremely cold, but overall the weather is easy to live in.

If you want snow, many years you can drive to Ruidoso New Mexico and do some snow skiing during the winter. Best thing about the snow there, is you can leave it behind when you come home to Lubbock.
Yeah. I guess snow is significant because Lubbock is at a high elevation. I mean over here in Amman it could be snowing in my area (3450 feet) while raining in the city center (2460 feet). It's a hillyass place over here. The light snow is nice while it's falling but after it's done there isn't much to look at! On the contrary when it snows all at once the scenery is BEAUTIFUL. Guess I'll just have to enjoy every moment while it lasts when it's snowing in Lubbock haha.

Hot is not something I have to worry about. The extreme cold will new though!

You serious man? How far a drive is it from the skiis in New Mexico?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ1993 View Post
Yeah. I guess snow is significant because Lubbock is at a high elevation. I mean over here in Amman it could be snowing in my area (3450 feet) while raining in the city center (2460 feet). It's a hillyass place over here. The light snow is nice while it's falling but after it's done there isn't much to look at! On the contrary when it snows all at once the scenery is BEAUTIFUL. Guess I'll just have to enjoy every moment while it lasts when it's snowing in Lubbock haha.

It's about four hours away.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 PM

748 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Quote:
Several places to ski in NM, Ski Apache in Ruidoso being the closest, and is about 4 hours away. When I was a young Tech student, we could leave out early Sat morning, ski all day, drive back home that night. Then we realized we could party in Ruidoso Sat night, so got a motel room to do just that. Then realized we were too tired to have as much fun, so got a room for Fri and Sat night, and tore up town.

Eventually outgrew that.

Seriously, there is a LOT of exploring you can do around this part of the state, as well as New Mexico and even Oklahoma if you want. It is a long drive, but there is a lot of real estate to be seen. At least once, anyhow...

Your excitement is contagious, I think you will enjoy Lubbock!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,524,293 times
Quote:

losttechnician covered Ski Apache well. I'd also like to say Santa Fe Ski Basin is more reliable to have good snow. Santa Fe is an interesting art colony, and it's 5 hours away (not including stops), with an additional 30 minutes to the ski area. Red River, Angel Fire, and Taos are also good ski areas that are a little farther.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock