U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM

677 posts, read 1,115,022 times

Advertisements

Avoid the Brownfield Drive apartments. There are some decent apts around 50th and Chicago which will be a bit south of the Brownfield Drive ones but much better neighborhood. I lived there in the early 90's, and still have some friends that live in homes just north of 50th and Chicago. Not the nicest neighborhood in town, but nice enough to live and very convenient.

Have a daughter and SIL who live in apts south of the loop and west of Slide road. Decent place, good neighborhood, and I lived in apartments in the same neighborhood in the late 90's. Very convenient to most shopping and dining on the southwest side of town.

Have some extended family living in apartments south of the loop off Utica. Decent neighborhood there too, and again is convenient to shopping and dining on the southwest side of town. Much of what you are likely to do (non night life stuff anyhow) will be in the southwest part of town, although by all means find some nightlife in the depot district.

Depot District is loosely based around 19th Street and just West of I-27.

Understand that all this talk of "convenience" is largely rhetorical, coming from a POV of folks familiar with Lubbock. Nearly everywhere in Lubbock is pretty convenient to get to. When you familiarize yourself with the way the streets are set up, it is incredibly easy to find your way around.

Remember the numbered streets run E/W. The street numbers increase going south, and address numbers increase going West. The named streets run N/S and are in alphabetical order, increasing heading West, and the address increase going South. May sound confusing, but also remember most all of the streets in town are in a square. 4th, 19th, 34th, 50th, 82nd, 98th streets are major E/W, Ave A, Ave Q, University, Indiana, Quaker, Slide, Frankford, and Upland are the majors going N/S.

All major E/W and N/S streets magically intersect, making nice neat squares.

The Loop 289 makes an oval around town, Marsha Sharp Freeway is a great fast way to head downtown or back West, and I-27 is obviously a throughway N/S. The view from MS Freeway is pretty nice, as you pass by Tech, the view from I-27 shows the industrial part of town.
Check your map out closely and see this, and I betcha you can find your way around real easy when you get there.

Lubbock is an easy city to navigate in, you just nearly can't get lost. The best result for that, is you can pick a church, or a favorite donut shop, or club, or whatever.... more because you LIKE it, and less for the geographical nearness. It takes little effort or time to cross town, so find you a nice place to live, and being exploring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM

47,368 posts, read 45,124,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If you were to ask me where the Catholic Churches were in many of the small towns around Lubbock I could tell you a few but Lubbock, I just don't know. My wife is from a Catholic family but from a small town northwest of Lubbock.

I worked in the downtown area of Lubbock (Texas Ave.) for about four years and never had problems such as theft or vandalism on me or my parked car but, for what it's worth, the older parts of Lubbock are east of Avenue Q which includes the downtown area. Buddy Holly grew up at 1911 6th Street but I think they have moved the old house in the last few years. Somewhere I have a pic of the house on its original location.

I've never been in a Starbucks (that I recall) so I can't help you there. I seem to always end up in a McDonalds or an IHOP.

I sincerely wish that I could help you find a good place to live but I just do not know any landlords in Lubbock. The City itself is extremely easy to navigate because the streets all run north and south and east and west. The streets running east and west are numbered and the streets running north and south are lettered.

Lubbock is like most places. It will have mean people and it will have good people. However, for the short time I lived in Lubbock, and for the many times I now go over there, I can safely say the number of good ones far outweigh the ones who would seek to harm you.

Just be safe and I wish you the best of luck in your move.
Navigating the city in terms of getting lost isn't the issue. I'm just trying to minimize the amount of driving having to be done.

I'll do my best to give it all a go.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Well east of University is a rule of thumb, but realistically the areas between University and Q are nice enough transition areas. When you consider that the east side is the least populated part of town with the least amenities, you're really not missing out on anything other than run down neighborhoods. I'd be surprised if east of Q comprised more than 15% of the city's population.
I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about the east side if it isn't that populated. I'm looking at Google Earth and the east part of Lubbock, specifically east of I-27 doesn't seem very populated.

Quote:
The Depot District is a small nightlife area based around the Buddy Holly Center (an old train depot). Those businesses are nice, but the nightlife outside of that district is known for club fights that turn fatal.
I will have to check out the Depot District. As for the other clubs, what kinds of clubs and where, are the fights occurring that have involved people getting killed?

Quote:
York Avenue - This street runs the length of the entire town, so I'm not sure where you're looking, but everything just off Slide Road will be safe and convenient.

Avenue Y - I bet you're looking at Honeycomb (or something like that). Not the nicest, but cheap and full of nice foreign students from what I hear. Very college-y but central.

16th and 17th Streets - I'm betting South Overton. The neighborhood is a typical quasi-run-down college neighborhood, not bad overall. The occasional sketchy person and drafty, historic homes. Lubbock High is right there, so police generally keep an eye out for the safety of the students and neighborhood as a whole.

Brownfield Dr. - Easy access to almost everything in town. The apartments on that street are a tad run-down I suppose, but you're right down the street from one of my favorite spots in town, Gatsby's Coffeehouse at Brownfield Dr. and Salem.
I'm asking about the streets because I have been looking for apartments on those streets. And I did look at Honeycomb apartments. I've also checked out apartments around 16th and 17th, particularly Quaker Pines and St. Francis Village.

I think I might check out Gatsby's when I get to Lubbock. However, I was told to avoid Brownfield by one person.

Quote:
If you're coming with a car, you don't have to worry about proximity to anything. The entire city is strung with 6-laned roads with turning lanes, and it's only 10x10 miles give or take. You'll never drive more than 15 minutes to anything. That said, I throw out my recommendations for Gatsby's and J&B at 26th and Boston as the best coffee places in town. Good restaurants are scattered all over, and you're never far from a church, Catholic or Protestant.
I won't be coming with a car. However, I will be getting a car when I get there. I just don't want to be doing more driving than I have to(unless I'm traveling in between cities)

Quote:
If you extend your search to places outside the Loop, you get significantly newer apartment stock. Most of the best restaurants, coffee shops, shopping, etc. are either in central Lubbock or southwest of the Loop.
I'm currently looking at central Lubbock and parts of southwest Lubbock. One reason I've avoided looking outside of the loop is because I was trying to minimize time spent driving for everyday activities.

In general, once I find an apartment, I can take care of other things as well. I do want to get into nightlife. I just don't want it to involve very loud clubs. I guess one reason I'm worried is because I'm coming alone. I'm looking for things to get into, things to see, people I might want to meet, which is why I've been looking for an apartment.

I've done some research on some of the restaurants. I haven't eaten out in a long time. However, when I did eat out, I was often into places like Middle Eastern cuisine, Korean cuisine, Japanese, Greek, Mexican, Italian,etc. I've even eaten at some restaurants that have hookah. I've found most of that is in Lubbock. I'm doing all of this research because I want to be able to arrive, and fall into place smoothly. I've also found out about La Michoacana Meat Market. Quite an interesting place.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Avoid the Brownfield Drive apartments. There are some decent apts around 50th and Chicago which will be a bit south of the Brownfield Drive ones but much better neighborhood. I lived there in the early 90's, and still have some friends that live in homes just north of 50th and Chicago. Not the nicest neighborhood in town, but nice enough to live and very convenient.

Have a daughter and SIL who live in apts south of the loop and west of Slide road. Decent place, good neighborhood, and I lived in apartments in the same neighborhood in the late 90's. Very convenient to most shopping and dining on the southwest side of town.

Have some extended family living in apartments south of the loop off Utica. Decent neighborhood there too, and again is convenient to shopping and dining on the southwest side of town. Much of what you are likely to do (non night life stuff anyhow) will be in the southwest part of town, although by all means find some nightlife in the depot district.

Depot District is loosely based around 19th Street and just West of I-27.

Understand that all this talk of "convenience" is largely rhetorical, coming from a POV of folks familiar with Lubbock. Nearly everywhere in Lubbock is pretty convenient to get to. When you familiarize yourself with the way the streets are set up, it is incredibly easy to find your way around.

Remember the numbered streets run E/W. The street numbers increase going south, and address numbers increase going West. The named streets run N/S and are in alphabetical order, increasing heading West, and the address increase going South. May sound confusing, but also remember most all of the streets in town are in a square. 4th, 19th, 34th, 50th, 82nd, 98th streets are major E/W, Ave A, Ave Q, University, Indiana, Quaker, Slide, Frankford, and Upland are the majors going N/S.

All major E/W and N/S streets magically intersect, making nice neat squares.

The Loop 289 makes an oval around town, Marsha Sharp Freeway is a great fast way to head downtown or back West, and I-27 is obviously a throughway N/S. The view from MS Freeway is pretty nice, as you pass by Tech, the view from I-27 shows the industrial part of town.
Check your map out closely and see this, and I betcha you can find your way around real easy when you get there.

Lubbock is an easy city to navigate in, you just nearly can't get lost. The best result for that, is you can pick a church, or a favorite donut shop, or club, or whatever.... more because you LIKE it, and less for the geographical nearness. It takes little effort or time to cross town, so find you a nice place to live, and being exploring!
I am checking out a map and looking at the possible options. I am aware that Lubbock is on a grid, and would be easy to navigate. For me, the point of view I'm coming from is someone who did alot of things based on trying to live as close to things as possible.

One question. What is Brownfield Drive like?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 AM

429 posts, read 741,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am checking out a map and looking at the possible options. I am aware that Lubbock is on a grid, and would be easy to navigate. For me, the point of view I'm coming from is someone who did alot of things based on trying to live as close to things as possible.

One question. What is Brownfield Drive like?

I lived on Brownfield Drive near Loop 289 10 years ago, and it wasn't bad at all. I can't speak to how the neighborhood might have changed since then, but its proximity to the Loop and Marsha Sharp Freeway make it easy if you're driving. As for walking or biking, it's really too far from from shopping, etc to be very convenient.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
I lived on Brownfield Drive near Loop 289 10 years ago, and it wasn't bad at all. I can't speak to how the neighborhood might have changed since then, but its proximity to the Loop and Marsha Sharp Freeway make it easy if you're driving. As for walking or biking, it's really too far from from shopping, etc to be very convenient.
I'm guessing Brownfield Drive might have changed since then.

I think the goal for me is to not do more driving than I have to. Being able to walk or bike is something important for me.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 AM

8,660 posts, read 7,610,156 times
No not ave. Y. West side or far south side, outside the 289 loop that goes around the city. Any of the apartments near campus will likely be VERY expensive or if they are inexpensive, well, you don't want them. I've heard small campus apartments can be as much as a thousand a month. Better options on the south or west side.

There is a brand new complex being completed right next to the loop, across the highway from Lowes. That might work for you, and it should be pretty safe.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
No not ave. Y. West side or far south side, outside the 289 loop that goes around the city. Any of the apartments near campus will likely be VERY expensive or if they are inexpensive, well, you don't want them. I've heard small campus apartments can be as much as a thousand a month. Better options on the south or west side.

There is a brand new complex being completed right next to the loop, across the highway from Lowes. That might work for you, and it should be pretty safe.
I wasn't really seeking to live near the University. I just don't want to go outside of the loop. At this point, it appears the south or southwest side might be the most viable options. I really don't want to pay $1000 a month, especially if it's only going to be one bedroom. What would it be about the inexpensive apartments that one would not want them?

At this point, considering that I only want a one bedroom(just me being there), I looked at the prices and found that some of the one-bedrooms were going for about $600/month. I can live with that.

Is this new development inside or outside of the loop? What is the name of it?

Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,463,115 times
Well as you can see, there are as many opinions as people about the different parts of town. Since cheap walkability is the primary goal here, I might toss in the option of finding a back house in Tech Terrace (the neighborhood just south of Tech). It will be hit and miss on the quality, but you can have a small house (<1000 sq. ft. accessed through an alleyway) for as cheap or cheaper than an apartment, and you'll be in a good neighborhood with access to all the businesses in the university area as well as having a grocery store and great coffee shop within the neighborhood.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 PM

8,660 posts, read 7,610,156 times
You have to be careful around TT. It isn't that far from campus that you can get into some problem areas in regards to crime. Cheap rent in that area could indicate problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or