Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 21,396 times

Advertisements

I too moved from SoCal (San Dimas) to Lubbock. My kids are in Hutch and Roscoe Wilson. I love both those schools. Kindergarden is all day (unlike California) for example. If you live in the catchment area, you automatically get into the local school (Tech Terrace for Roscoe Wilson). They also have the magnet. Recent the magnet program went to a lottery so not sure how it will work out. As for going from Hutch to Lubbock High, if your kids play sports, it is automatic. It has to do more with football but they extended it to all sports. Lubbock High is a school within a school. The magnet program is great and they also have an IB program. Recently, LISD would pay kids if they passed AP classes ($100) and the teacher also get paid. Interesting idea.

As someone said, call the school you are interested in. My experience is that the administrators are ahppy to talk and they will walk you through the magnet procedure if that is what interests you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 36,995 times
afm_man - Thank you for all the information! Oh and small world... we're moving from San Dimas also!!!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
I live in Lubbock, and while I don't know much about the schools here as a transplant with no kids, I can say that southwest Lubbock is definitely the way to go as far as housing goes. The farther outside the city center you go the newer the development, with the fast majority of new homes being built well outside the loop. If having a new-ish house (<15 years) isn't a deal breaker, there are plenty of affordable rental homes available just inside the south side of the loop near the mall, with similar neighborhoods all along 82nd and 98th street west of University. Plus, there are a few newer houses in the vicinity of 4th and Milwaukee that would probably fall in your price range also. I highly doubt that the mixed race thing will be an issue at all, as Lubbock is a very friendly place.

As for Costco, any idea when it will be opened? I've been hearing rumors of one but haven't seen anything concrete yet.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 28,589 times
While I can't give you much information--my wife and I just moved here from Chicago, no kids-- I can say that I'm glad to see Costco coming here! We were a little put-off by there only being a Sam's club, since we lived about a mile from Costco back home. We also settled in SW Lubbock, and so far we love it. Everything seems pretty close, and if you enjoy eating out there are a TON of options. The way the streets are laid out took us a few days to get used to, but now it's pretty easy. Traffic has been amazing, though coming from Chicago and being a truck driver, any traffic in the south is better.

So... welcome! Look forward to shopping with you

Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 36,995 times
Thanks again for all the info! We are so appreciative of it... it's making the idea of relocating less daunting!

The opening date I heard was November 11. However, I haven't heard if this is being pushed back or not. I'll update the grand opening date when I know more! Rest assured though... a Costco is definitely coming to Lubbock!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times
I'm from Lubbock ( born and raised) and Lubbock is a great place for you and your family.

1) Yes southwest Lubbock is the fastest growing area of the city and it would be the place to be.
2) Frenship is a very good school, although Lubbock Cooper is an up and coming school too. My kids went to Frenship and graduated from Texas Tech University. You can't go wrong with either school.
3) The new construction areas are Southwest, South, and some West. The majority, though, is in southwest Lubbock. Vintage Township is a bit overrated in my book, plus the streets are very narrow. Other neighborhoods include Lakeridge, Orchard Park, Regency Park, Bacon Crest, Primrose Pointe. All are in southwest Lubbock. As for renting vs.buying, that would depend on your long term plans. If you are planning on staying in Texas for a long time, buying would be advantageous. You could buy more house for your money if you sold your house in California and bought one here. The reverse is true if you sold one here and bought in California later.
4) Lubbock is a southern baptist city, so take that for what it is worth. Lubbock just recently became a "Wet" town. I'm hispanic and have experienced some issues through the years, however it shouldn't be a major problem for you and your family.

Lubbock has about 220,000 people. It is not too big nor too small. Usually your commute to most areas is 15 minutes or less. In general Lubbock is a great place to live and raise a family. Welcome to Lubbock!!

P.S. I wonder if you could tell me where I can apply for a job for the store here in Lubbock? There are no signs posted on site. Thanks....

Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,842,440 times
Welcome to Lubbock. I hope you like it here and stay awhile. As a transplant, I can tell you that it might take some getting used to, the wide open spaces, the high winds and the occasional dust storms in Spring. But fortunately there is a lot that is not hard to get used to. People are generally pretty friendly. The weather has actually been great this year. Be glad you missed the drought from the previous two years. Lots of restaurants to pick from and the area is generally very prosperous, which makes for a generally positive atmosphere and attitude among people in the area. We don't have a lot of big city problems. Say goodbye to traffic jams. Prices are pretty reasonable. And your wife will have no problems I believe. This area has a very mixed population, blacks Hispanic and white. There is also a healthy smattering of other types of people.

You've probably heard a lot of bashing of Texas in the media. Forget it. Its all a pack of lies. We like law and order. (who doesn't?) We like our guns and like to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. Politics: Conservative yes, crazy no.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 14,585 times
Hey there! welcome to Lubbock. I moved here 3 years ago from Utah with my family (3 kids at the time, 4 now). I sent you a direct message with my email. Feel free to drop me a line if you have specific questions on sports, dance, housing areas, etc.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 14,585 times
It wont let me direct message you again, says i am limited to one per day. when you get my message if you could email me it would be great.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
My family and I live in, I guess you would say the NW part of Lubbock?!?! We are centrally located. Texas Tech, UMC and Covenant Hospital is down the street from our house and we have the Lubbock Christian University down the other side. Plus, the mall is short distance from our house and we can get anywhere in Lubbock because we have easy access to the Loop and the Marsh Sharp. Our location is in between Slide/Quaker and 4th/19th and is a fabulous older neighborhood. Our daughter goes to Rush School and we absolutely LOVE it and she does too. It is a smaller school than some of the others and yes it is a Lubbock ISD school but is one of the best. Most of Lubbock schools are pretty good if you compare them to the other cities in Texas or even the other states. I am originally from the Chicago area and my husband is from the Bay Area California area. Lubbock offers many activities for kids and at a reasonable price for whatever the child may be interested in. I have one daughter interested in drama and dance and another interested in science and sports. Lubbock has programs for all their interests.
However, I have to admit I have struggled living here myself because I am used to a much larger city with more to offer for adults to do but have noticed that Lubbock is growing and adding more to their social calendar. My husband and I actually moved here in November 2008 from the mountains of North Carolina and that was adjustment. Lubbock isn't pretty and I am an outdoorsy type person and enjoy going on hikes and camping. There really isn't any pretty place to hike that is close by and it gets really hot with no trees for shade. The good campgrounds are a couple hours away. (Actually, everything is a couple hours away except the airport and that is one of the BEST things about Lubbock-in and out with no problems like the big airports yet they have the big planes available). If you can get past the scenery part you will enjoy what Lubbock has to offer. The people are wonderful, the schools want the kids to succeed, and the economy is stable. I hope you enjoy it and I am sooooo excited that COSTCO will be here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock