Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,335 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Lubbock this fall due to a career opportunity I have been offered. We are a young married couple in our mid 20's with no kids. I have been doing some research into places to live only to end up even more confused than when I started looking. We are looking for somewhere quiet, nice and safe. I keep reading about looking on the west side of town. Is this accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 02:43 PM

6 posts, read 37,073 times
Hey there,

Are you looking to open the Costco Lubbock store too? I haven't heard anything concrete yet, but we're slowly planning things and putting some feelers out so we can be ready if the call comes. Where are you relocating from?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM

I am looking to open the new store. I'm coming from just south of Seattle, WA. We're doing the same thing, just throwing out some feelers.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Welcome to both of you!

I think if you can root around in the Lubbock threads, you will find a consensus that SW Lubbock is the happening place to be. West Lubbock is where the store is going in, according to heavy rumors, and an easy place to get in/out of.

Any more questions you folks have, just let loose and some of us will be glad to answer!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I will second losttechnician's recommendation. Inside the City, SW Lubbock has the more desirable housing (newer and more expensive) although it seems that much of west Lubbock (south to north) is now exploding.

And again, welcome to both of you to the Lubbock area.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:10 AM

437 posts, read 924,923 times
Welcome to the South Plains! Several years ago, I lived in West Lubbock, very near the location of the new store. It was quiet, safe and affordable. However, it was not as convenient to as many amenities as Southwest Lubbock. Since then, there has been a lot more development on the West side-restaurants, shopping, etc. My advice would be if you stay anywhere west of Slide Road and South of about 50th Street, you'll be just fine. Good luck in your search!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 37,073 times
Hey Costco64,

How are the feelers going? I had my phone interview the other day... I can't tell what their plans are yet though. Oh and if you don't mind me asking... what position are you going for?

Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM

64 posts, read 104,765 times
Coming from Seattle, you'll be in for quite the culture shock... it's flat in Lubbock. Real flat but the streets are wider than Seattle... And the trees... in Seattle, they're taller than men. Not so much in Lubbock... and brace yourself for the dust storms. Ever seen photos of the great depression and the dust rolling in...?

You'll need to come with an open mind because the good things, the cool things will probably be "branded" a bit differently. Don't come with an attitude that "this is the way it was in Seattle" - people are different but the same... and friendly. It's got a university, medical school, a hospital hub for the region and of course, the usual big box stores you find everywhere. Plus, it's own brand of unique. Lots of smart and creative folks in Lubbock... you'll find whatever you're looking for.

As they say, Lubbock Or Leave It.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM

I've been in the Seattle area my whole life so I'm definitely looking for a change. As far as positions I am looking for any salaried position. I have an extensive background in merchandising but have a great deal of marketing knowledge as well.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,720 times
The overall trend in housing in Lubbock has been to the southwest for many years, tho' the NW is perking up. There are several suburban towns of much smaller populations within a few miles of Lubbock that have nice housing and other amenities. If you are looking at a map of the city, where your store will be is just west of Loop 289 and west 34th street on an old farmstead formerly owned by a county commissioner. The real estate market is fairly tight as there are fewer houses available for sale than there are potential buyers. You might wish to rent for a while and get a look at the entire area before you commit. You will find a very conservative but friendly population and the overall character of people in the region is honest and hardworking. If you have stickers on your car showing that you support the current national administration, you need to scrape them off and leave them in Seattle. If you like to see rain every afternoon, stay where you are. Average rainfall here is about 18-20" and it may all come in one or two days. The sandstorms another writer described are fairly calm compared to dust bowl days into the fifties. I remember them and these are nothing compared to the earlier ones. We are a region made up of strong ag and ag related industries, plus high tech, service and manufacturing and medical. The job market is good here, but you may find salaries less than what you are used to. We claim that costs of living are lower here and we have moderate to high property taxes and high sales tax but no income tax. Our local officials are doing their best to increase the local taxes, tho' they claim to be low tax people. We are THE medical center for about a 200 mile radius. Texas Tech is the large university here, but we also have 2 other smaller universities with strong representation here. The current oil boom in Texas has a strong presence in Midland, about 130 miles SW of Lubbock and has made the housing market VERY tight as you go farther in that direction. Rather than repeat some of the other comments above, let me just generally concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock