Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

Hello all! If all goes according to plan, I will be attending Texas Tech in fall 2016 for Grad School. What can you tell me about Lubbock? My biggest area of concern is knowing where to look for an apartment, and mostly from where I should stay away. But any other information you can provide is welcome. I am aware that it's not a big city, which is fine for me. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,569,898 times
Where are you coming from? Do you want to live close to campus or away from college kids?

Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 AM

I'm coming from Northeast PA. The area is about the size of Lubbock. I am in my thirties so I'm not interested in being the in middle of the off campus undergraduate craziness, but other than that I have no preference, except that I need a safe area. That's my biggest concern. I've heard some sections of Lubbock are pretty unsafe and I don't want to be there.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 AM

268 posts, read 289,957 times
The east part of time was a political hot spot for racial unrest during the 60's but that is no longer the case. There would be no reason to visit that part of town unless you were (say), substitute teaching. There is some gang activity in Lubbock, but nothing to be concerned about if you stay away from drug deals. Over all, Lubbock is pretty safe. I wouldn't hang out in bars at night, or drive around at 2:00 a.m., but that's the case anywhere.

If you contact Oscar at Coldwell Banker they can probably find you a little house or mother-in-law's unit. They're a good company. I'm 10 years where I live and they always fix things quickly and are very courteous. That's another advantage of Lubbock: most people are *nice*. It's the culture and in part, the influence of the churches. I keep my atheism to myself, along with most of my other liberal views. I'd rather be around people who are religious versus people who are big-city cold-bloodidly heartless.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:23 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,569,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Modz View Post
I'm coming from Northeast PA. The area is about the size of Lubbock. I am in my thirties so I'm not interested in being the in middle of the off campus undergraduate craziness, but other than that I have no preference, except that I need a safe area. That's my biggest concern. I've heard some sections of Lubbock are pretty unsafe and I don't want to be there.
Well rather than describe everything, I'll just leave this dinky "judgmental map" that me and a fellow former Lubbockite made as a joke (it was an internet trend awhile ago). It paints with very broad strokes, but it'll give you an idea of where to start heheh. Almost everything in Lubbock is affordable, and condition of the property tends to dictate the price more than location since nothing is ever more than 15 minutes away.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:26 AM

268 posts, read 289,957 times
Nice graphic! And pretty accurate.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 PM

437 posts, read 924,286 times
This map is hilarious! And correct.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
The east part of time was a political hot spot for racial unrest during the 60's but that is no longer the case. There would be no reason to visit that part of town unless you were (say), substitute teaching. There is some gang activity in Lubbock, but nothing to be concerned about if you stay away from drug deals. Over all, Lubbock is pretty safe. I wouldn't hang out in bars at night, or drive around at 2:00 a.m., but that's the case anywhere.

If you contact Oscar at Coldwell Banker they can probably find you a little house or mother-in-law's unit. They're a good company. I'm 10 years where I live and they always fix things quickly and are very courteous. That's another advantage of Lubbock: most people are *nice*. It's the culture and in part, the influence of the churches. I keep my atheism to myself, along with most of my other liberal views. I'd rather be around people who are religious versus people who are big-city cold-bloodidly heartless.
Thank you! This is very helpful. I'm also a conservative Republican Jesus Freak, so it sounds like I'll fit right in. ☺
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock