U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 AM

10 posts, read 13,561 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are very possibly moving to Lubbock in January. She is a nurse and got a job at UMC. We want to live in a nice part of town with preferably a newer house. Our budget is around $1000 give or take a little.

So to my original question what is considered SW Lubbock? I see that is where everyone says is the "nice" area. May I have some street names that dictate SW?

Thank you all in advanced.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 AM

3,107 posts, read 6,477,497 times
In general, anything outside the Loop, south of Marsha Sharp and west of Indiana would be considered "SW Lubbock". That said, anything west of University is nice and safe.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM

677 posts, read 1,118,023 times
Lubbock is laid out as a huge grid. Streets running east/west are numbered increasing going south, and streets running north/south are alphabetical increasing as you go west.

That said, Frankford is a major street in West Lubbock, so street names above F (may or may not, since the alphabet restarts a couple of times) be in West Lubbock. I suggest using google maps or some such to check them out. The real info is the numbered streets. If you find an address above 5800 on a numbered street, it will be west of Frankford. I might consider SW Lubbock to be numbered streets above 66th, and west of Frankford.

Again, check out the internet maps and look for that general area. Bear in mind that the boundary for the school systems in Lubbock will be Frankford. East of Frankford is Lubbock ISD, and west of Frankford is Frenship ISD. Frenship is generally considered more desirable than LISD.

I am not for sure where the Cooper ISD begins, but it is somewhere on the South side, maybe 98th or 114tth street. It is generally considered on par (but somewhat smaller) than Frenship. If I were to move back to Lubbock, I would seriously consider Cooper (mainly because of the new construction in that district, along with the fact that my in-laws live just south of the city), with Frenship as a solid second choice. I have two daughters that graduated from Frenship in the last 8 years, and was fairly happy with the school system.

With your wife working at UMC, it would be a fairly easy commute from the west or SW part of town.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 13,908 times
I lived in SW Lubbock and anything west of frankford and south of Marsha sharp is what I considered SW Lubbock. This area is a lot newer with many new homes being built. Generally a very safe area with excellent Frenship Isd

Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Thank you for the replies. We went a drove around some neighborhood last week... saw some massive homes...($400k+ for all) must have been the really nice part of town lol

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Well my wife got a job there, now to find us a house... thinking our budget is now $1k max... min 2br 2ba, fenced in backyard that allows dogs... NW seems to have some nice duplexes that are affordable... how is that area?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM

3,107 posts, read 6,477,497 times
The NW area is pretty decent. It's growing fast, so more businesses are starting to move out there. It suffers from cookie-cutter syndrome the worst of any part of town, and if the duplexes you're talking about are Lynnwood, it'll be full of students if that's a concern for you.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM

Not too much of a concern since we are in our mid 20's. It seems to be harder than I thought to find something we'd like... maybe we have picky standards (like newer homes)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock