U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,074 times

Advertisements

How much do I charge for labor on paint for interior walls. I recently did a job for a contractor in here i Lubbock tx. The contractor said that the labor rate was only .30 cents a square foot. Doesn't this seen really low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:58 PM

18,724 posts, read 13,497,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juareza413 View Post
How much do I charge for labor on paint for interior walls. I recently did a job for a contractor in here i Lubbock tx. The contractor said that the labor rate was only .30 cents a square foot. Doesn't this seen really low?
A single 10x10 wall would run 30.00 how much do you think you should be paid?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,576 times
Lubbock is lower than S. West Texas - Midland/Odessa/Andrews/Seminole/Etc but that's just ridiculous. General Contractors there pay from $1.75 to $2.25 / sq ft. $2.25 although higher than most areas is normal to expect there and as a builder/GC you probably wouldn't get a decent paint sub or would be put on the back burner or get * quality if you tried to lowball in the $1.75 range.

A typical new home construction paint job is $2.25 / sq ft interior $1,500 exterior and $500.00 for garage (one color if at all). Ceilings primer white, walls 1 color, trim 1 color. Exteriors 1 Day Patch 1 Day Paint, although patch/paint for exterior sometimes occurred same day. Interior 2 days Patch 1 Day Paint and some times a 3rd day for cut and clean if 2nd day is cut short. This is the rate/job direct from GC (General Contractor or Builder) to the paint sub-contractor, the sub then usually pays a range of $10-$15/hr to his workers for labor, typically cost is about $500 to $1000 for paint and supplies and after help/labor the rest gets pocketed by the Sub (typically thousands if he did most of the work with little help from laborers and had good cost accounts with his paint/supply vendors).

The subs in Lubbock do get ripped off, I think they generally work closer in the $1.25 to $1.50 range and this is because the homes here sell for under or just above $100.00 a sq ft some times, such as Betenbough and Permian who mass produces at low costs and rip off labor rates whereas homes in other parts of W. Texas where oil is more prevalent and there is lower availability go for an easy $150+ / sq ft and instead of $10k to $20k a home builders can easily bring in $50k+ per sale. They should still pay more here though because although lower in price their margins don't adjust/scale properly with their cost, they are just greedy when it comes to paying subs but act like angels with clients (often as a Christian organization that is driven according to God and the word...ahem...Betenbough). But that's the thing to do here I guess, can't tell you how many times I caught Christian Brothers here in Lubbock trying to rip me off. Another company referencing scripture and their Christian intent on their website etc although to be fair many Christian Brothers elsewhere live up to it and don't do the extra labor rip off scams that they do here daily.

Thats all the insider info from building I'm going to dish today. Good luck, you'll have to bargain hard or find another occupation here in Lubbock, to be honest pay for painting in Lubbock generally isn't worth the time/effort/supplies even for quick work like new construction. It's also a college town with lots of low wage competition and a saturated market so labor rates are dirt cheap compared to where they should be which enables this type of business that caters to the consumer by taking advantage of the workers, which is really the Lubbock economy in a nut shell.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
A single 10x10 wall would run 30.00 how much do you think you should be paid?
Also wanted to mention for the poster here that sub-contractor work is paid in sq ft of the actual structure, so not a 10x10 wall, but a 10x10 room yes. A 100 sq ft room at the .30 rate would be $30 to paint the entire room. Painting, although seems easy and anyone can do it if they care to is time and labor consuming given the tedious steps involved.

First you need to travel to the job, then you need to setup your supplies, sprayer, etc. You then have to clean if required, then patch with putty and caulk where required, wait for that to dry, then put your base coat of primer on, wait for that to dry, paint your trim, doors, etc, put your colors and wait for each to dry before you can continue if any overlap the other so you can then cut the edges, trim, crown, mantles, etc. Then you clean up which with painting is a tedious task with cleaning the brushes, sprayers, wells, pads, shields, etc then your out. This doesn't count for non-pro paint laborers who need to do any taping and use drop cloths/plastic etc to account for their lack of experience so add that too if necessary. Also didn't count color changes, which are often the case and require cleaning sprayer (lots of time/mats wasted)/brushes/etc and starting over every time for each color, and didn't count removing/replacing any hardware like knobs, bars, etc. So for 30 bucks even for 100 sq ft job of a 10x10 room... yea, no. You need a bigger job at a much higher rate to make any money, especially if your covering your own mileage, taxes, and supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock